Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by Thinktank »

I asked the library to bring in this book. "FISMAN'S FRAUD - THE ACCOMPLICES"
I could have easily bought it, but decided others should be able to read it too.

So far they never answered me.
Research Institutes Enjoy the Fruits of Willful Ignorance
While in the throes of the COVID-19 pandemic, spring 2022, three top Canadian science institutions were put to the test. Under their watch, evidence surfaced that they had supported fraudulent research, concocted to bolster vaccine uptake and scapegoat a segment of the population for vaccine failure. During this period, politics dominated the 'follow the science' narrative and large financial incentives were tied to the successful uptake of the new genetic vaccines.

How did these institutions respond? How did they navigate their conflicts of interest? Did financial interests trump ethical concerns when the two were at odds? You be the judge.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

BBC says tens of thousands of Ukrainians have died and Zelensky needs hundreds of thousands of Ukrainians to replace them. Yes. BBC is just that dumb.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

unfinished_sentenc wrote: Feb 5th, 2024, 5:24 pm Absolutely! I recently got into "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides – total mind-bender, couldn't put it down. If you're into psychological thrillers, it's a must-read!
I loved that book!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
65deluxe
Übergod

Post by 65deluxe »

Lady tehMa wrote: Feb 11th, 2024, 4:01 pm I just read "Education of a Wandering Man" by Louis L'Amour - I highly recommend it.

The writing is part of the draw - that man could spin a yarn.
Another part is the topics, his memoir, his thoughts on learning. Fascinating!!
And yet another part is his list of books he read - he kept notes. In the back of the book are his lists from I think 1930-1934. Amazing!

It is really worth reading - check it out!
I havent read it yet, but will search it out. I keep a list of the books written L'Amour in my wallet and pull it out whenever I hit bookstores. L'Amour had a way of telling stories. Those who enjoy "yarns" of the old west, I highly recommend L'Amour's novels.
"The most powerful governments in the world can't solve homelessness.
But they can change the earths temperature if you pay more taxes."
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Re-reading The Hobbit. It's freaking scary. I forgot a lot of scenes but I also wonder if really I just skipped them in earlier readings because they were so heart pounding frightening.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have 3 new books from the library - 2 Bob Goff books and Murtagh* by Paolini (working on Murtagh first).

I intend to reread The Hobbit & LotR this year as well.

(*edit for spelling)
Last edited by Lady tehMa on Feb 14th, 2024, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't failed until I quit.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I just finished: Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer

And I really don't know what to say about it. The first part of the book was really, really good. I learned a lot but then it bogged down and I struggled to stay awake reading it. It got repetitious. It's 400+ pages and I honestly kept looking at page numbers while I was reading to see if they were stuck on the number. lol I almost gave up on it but I did finish it. I would re-read the first part again, I really loved it. :)

Now I'm reading: Dream Wheels: A Novel by Richard Wagamese

I love this guy's writing. Not having any problem staying awake with this one.
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Oof - I hate it when that happens. I've been unable to get through Lovecraft - start it and then fail. But my best friend says it is entirely different on audiobook - I may try it sometime.

Murtagh has a bit of a slow start. I haven't had much time to read so that may be a factor as well. All the page numbers are in the middle of the page, to the side of the text! A little disorienting . . .
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Oh my word. Thank you. I thought there was something wrong with me since "everyone" thinks Lovecraft is wonderful. I will never try reading him again. I've read a few of his books and I struggled to stay awake, and then really, the stories weren't that great.

Edited to add:
This book: Dream Wheels: A Novel by Richard Wagamese is SO good! (I say that every time I read something by Richard Wagamese!)
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ferri wrote: Feb 14th, 2024, 9:48 am Oh my word. Thank you. I thought there was something wrong with me since "everyone" thinks Lovecraft is wonderful. I will never try reading him again. I've read a few of his books and I struggled to stay awake, and then really, the stories weren't that great.

Edited to add:
This book: Dream Wheels: A Novel by Richard Wagamese is SO good! (I say that every time I read something by Richard Wagamese!)
I know! I don't see the appeal as his wording is torturous and disjointed. Rambling, even. But he has added to the world's mythos with his Cthulu. Everything I know about it I have absorbed through meme :biggrin:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Lady tehMa wrote: Feb 15th, 2024, 8:59 am I know! I don't see the appeal as his wording is torturous and disjointed. Rambling, even. But he has added to the world's mythos with his Cthulu. Everything I know about it I have absorbed through meme :biggrin:
SAME! lol I have the book but I'm going to wait until I have trouble going to sleep to tackle it.
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ferri wrote: Feb 15th, 2024, 9:05 am
Lady tehMa wrote: Feb 15th, 2024, 8:59 am I know! I don't see the appeal as his wording is torturous and disjointed. Rambling, even. But he has added to the world's mythos with his Cthulu. Everything I know about it I have absorbed through meme :biggrin:
SAME! lol I have the book but I'm going to wait until I have trouble going to sleep to tackle it.
:spitcoffee: That would do it!

If I decide seriously to have a go, I'll go audiobook and see if it makes a difference.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I was looking one day at book deals for Kindle and saw the complete works of Lovecraft. hahaha No, thanks, but I'll pass. I can't imagine trying to get through that.
The last book of his I read was "At The Mountains Of Madness". He gets so busy describing every single thing that I lost track of what was going on, and then when we finally got to it I could only sigh and wonder why I wasted so much time. lol
― Albert Einstein
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ferri wrote: Feb 15th, 2024, 9:10 am I was looking one day at book deals for Kindle and saw the complete works of Lovecraft. hahaha No, thanks, but I'll pass. I can't imagine trying to get through that.
The last book of his I read was "At The Mountains Of Madness". He gets so busy describing every single thing that I lost track of what was going on, and then when we finally got to it I could only sigh and wonder why I wasted so much time. lol
LOL
Yeah, I don't know if I'd pick it up even on a freebie . . .

I was at an estate sale yesterday and husband came along. We both got books! He found a pamphlet from King Edward's coronation he thought was a neat bit of history. I nabbed Roberts' Rules of Order (for him) and a couple of older books - one of which was a small volume of Shakespeare's sonnets. I grabbed a few kitchen items (probably paid too much for the potato ricer, but oh well).
Then we went to the Tomat garage and I popped inside to buy some of the older books. I had been hopeful to grab one I had left behind last time, no such luck :cry: (A lovely copy of "The Song of Hiawatha" by Longfellow - the binding was exquisite). Live and learn. So this time I did not leave anything behind that I liked. I didn't find anything bound so beautifully, but there were some really interesting titles. I grabbed a copy of Plutarch's "Lives", a book on the history of the Christian church called "the First 300 years", a book of Christmas Carols from the 1800's, a big book of animals from the 30's, a small red volume by Robert Louis Stevenson that turned out to be reviews of other authors (?!?!). And more. I even found places for them all, though I had to do a massive reshuffle. Now some books are stacked sideways in the shelves, as more fit that way.
Husband got a few books at the garage as well, one of Quotes by George Washington and the other was Gold Panning for Dummies . . .
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Nice! I love old books!

I just came in to suggest a Canadian author that I adore, Richard Wagamese. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Wagamese

Of course I discovered him after he already passed away. I love his writing style and his stories. I just finished "Dream Wheels" and started "Ragged Company". I've read: "Indian Horse", "Keeper'n Me", and "Medicine Walk".
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For one buck, or was it 50 cents? I scored a copy of William Least Heat-Moon's, "A River Horse." If you have read Blue Highways, you will appreciate his painterly poetic style rooted in realism, as in, it's like you are on the river, with them.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/58957
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”