Family oriented New Years Eve ?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Family oriented New Years Eve ?

Postby Smuckers » Dec 28th, 2007, 2:19 pm

After many dissapointing NYE's , my family and I are looking for something for the whole family to do. We have a 9yr old. What happened to First Night? We don't want to go as far as Big White or Silver Star (I'm just a little leary of driving the wintery roads home etc. etc.) Any input would be hugely appreciated.
Smuckers
Board Meister

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Smuckers » Dec 30th, 2007, 2:45 pm

Wow, not a single idea! I've looked at event guides on google, the only thing I can find is New years at Gotchas :200:
Smuckers
Board Meister

Postby ILLEffect » Dec 30th, 2007, 2:53 pm

Maybe try calling some of the churches to see if they have anything going on?

Are there other families with kids that might want to do a get together?
ILLEffect
Board Meister

Postby tunachick » Dec 31st, 2007, 1:36 am

We have also been in a position of looking for family entertainment on New Year's Eve. We're past the stage where we want to spend New Year's crammed in a bar, screaming to be heard over loud music.

Unfortunately, First Night has been toast for years, so we looked around the Westside to make our own family fun.

The local pool closes early and the rink isn't open for families that evening, so a family skate or swim is out. The local cinema offers only an early show.

Then we began the tradition of inviting the neighbours and their kids over. We play games and have a pretty good time.

Maybe a family toboganning party? There's lots of snow this year.
tunachick
Board Meister

Postby Smuckers » Dec 31st, 2007, 3:41 pm

Church is a no go, thanks for the idea though.

It's pretty crazy that there are no family events. Kelowna and its residents ( I'm not trying to generalize, as I am guilty of it too) have really let a number of events slide, with lack of support. No first night, no snowfest, almost no children's festival, no regatta etc. etc. It's only since I have a family of my own that I see the importance of city support.

Anyway we are ordering sushi, playing board games, taking the dog for a walk downtown, a movie, and thats that. Happy New Year all the best in 2008 :130:
Smuckers
Board Meister

Postby Royal#1 » Dec 31st, 2007, 10:13 pm

Cheap City, CHEAP CITY, BOO Mrs. Mayor!!!!
Royal#1

Postby donna_mgc » Jan 6th, 2008, 9:06 pm

I looked everywhere for something as well. I think the only year they did first night was for 2000. I think it is an issue of not having someone who wants to organize it or find volunteers to help. It's a tough city to find people to volunteer.
donna_mgc

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts