Guitar hero takes pub by storm

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
vkennedy

Guitar hero takes pub by storm

Post by vkennedy »

Good grief. Do we depend that much on video games to provide us our entertainment? I have been working with computers since the earliest pc's hit the shelves (so that gives you a rough idea of the demographic I belong to) and I consider myself very young at heart. But I have never understood the addiction to video games. This Guitar Hero thing is just mind boggling. If the Guitar Hero fans would spend as much time learning and playing a real guitar as they do playing the video game, we would have a whole lot more talented musicians in this country.
Ihaveanopinion

Post by Ihaveanopinion »

Wow. Who are they hurting, exactly? I say let them be. I'd rather have a bunch of young people strumming a plastic guitar for fun, than out smashing stuff or getting into other trouble. Seems like harmless, social fun to me. Don't be so grouchy.
Struts 'N' Stuff Auto
Lord of the Board

Re: Guitar hero takes pub by storm

Post by Struts 'N' Stuff Auto »

vkennedy wrote: I have never understood the addiction to video games.

I honestly believe it is because those addicted like to be in another world other then reality for enjoyment!
Almost like the Youths and Adults who take up using Illegal Substances to take them to another form of reality!

The real world just doesn't cut it anymore! :smt023
LeifH
Fledgling

Post by LeifH »

I am a guitar player, and while I don't exactly like most video games, Guitar Hero is fun. It's a great party game and on expert it's usually harder than real guitar.

Now this Rock Band installment, is just stupid. If you can get that many people to sit and play, why not start a real band?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

is it as bad to listen to as karaoke?
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

ferri wrote:is it as bad to listen to as karaoke?

Not if you're singing!
Bretbaby
Übergod

Post by Bretbaby »

Are you kidding me? You're mad that people are playing a video game called "Guitar Hero" socially, and it's main purpose is to play guitar???? :145: Get a life! You should be happy that kids are playing something that they could start to like and try the real thing instead of violent video games like "Grand Theft Auto". Do you want them to start doing the real thing too?

I mean, really, video games are a person's way of getting away from the real world? Seriously? Can't you say the same about... geez.. EVERYTHING in life? "I went to Mexico on vacation, to get away from life", "I watched 'Sleepless in Seattle' to get away from life" - come on, to use video games and drugs as a reason that kids get away from life is an easy cop out. Everyone gets away from reality; it's human nature.

Honestly, that's your first post in 3 years? If you don't like it, don't go. You wouldn't go to a baseball game if you didn't like it, would you?
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

shup onestop!!!

you're right Bretbaby, all of us have our little escapes. for me it's a good book to 'fall into'. or finding some place quiet in the woods to just sit and listen and watch. :D i really think Guitar Hero sounds wonderful compared to some of the other video games that have been out there. :145: especially if it gives some of them the desire to learn to play the real thing!
― Albert Einstein
Scynite
Board Meister

Post by Scynite »

vkennedy wrote:If the Guitar Hero fans would spend as much time learning and playing a real guitar as they do playing the video game, we would have a whole lot more talented musicians in this country.

Yup.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

vkennedy wrote: This Guitar Hero thing is just mind boggling. If the Guitar Hero fans would spend as much time learning and playing a real guitar as they do playing the video game, we would have a whole lot more talented musicians in this country.

And maybe if young people started saving up for medical school, instead of playing "Operation", we'd have more doctors! And buying real estate, instead of playing Monopoly! And defending the planet against aliens, instead of playing Space Invaders! And...
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

My god, it's going to be the 'checkers' plague all over again. The whole generation will be lost.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

yep. they'll all want to be kinged.
― Albert Einstein
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I find "Guitar Hero" somewhat mind boggling too and, no I don't have a problem with it. It's just a little hard to imagine wanting to go to a pub to watch and listen to people playing a video game. I really don't care what people do in their own homes to amuse themselves but, "video game player takes pub by storm"? I'm hoping that headline is just a another example of Castanet's stellar reporting and not a sad commentary on our, uhm, "culture."
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
LeifH
Fledgling

Post by LeifH »

It can be a fun party game. Why do most people go to pubs? To drink. To get away.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

OREZ wrote:I find "Guitar Hero" somewhat mind boggling too and, no I don't have a problem with it. It's just a little hard to imagine wanting to go to a pub to watch and listen to people playing a video game. I really don't care what people do in their own homes to amuse themselves but, "video game player takes pub by storm"? I'm hoping that headline is just a another example of Castanet's stellar reporting and not a sad commentary on our, uhm, "culture."

Culture... :-k

Perhaps it's just another fad to follow. Poor lemmings can't amuse themselves or be without constant stimulation and entertainment. Just let them have their fun until the next 'cool' thing is deemed as such by the media or some celebrity.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”