Avril Lavigne / Boys Like Girls Concert

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
warden
Übergod

Re: Avril Lavigne / Boys Like Girls Concert

Post by warden »

Triple 6 wrote:Warden, you are one of the coolest chicks I know!!! Rock on! Awesome post! :hailjo: :hailjo:

I'm off to listen to my Twisted Sister album backwards.

:126:

And a *bleep*!
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri

start your own thread please. this thread was for people that had been to the concert.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

Thanks for missing my point completely. :124:
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

mekathy
Übergod

Post by mekathy »

peacelover wrote:Not sure what point you were trying to make. You kept referring to my kids so I was just clearing that up. Maybe you missed the point. No one's responded whether their kids have TV's in their bedrooms. Taking 8 or 9 or 10 or 12 yr olds to concerts like this - what exactly is being accomplished? I have not heard the entire latest Avril album, when I saw the Boyfriend video - that was enough for me. I see she didn't just get (what was it?) 40$ a head per ticket, she got a percentage of 10$ glow sticks too!

I've heard enough justifying. I am very well aware of bullying myself and how badly it can effect a child and ruin a childs developing years and negatively affect a person throughout their lives. This is why I object to her video. Show me some proof she is spoofing bullying, I haven't seen or heard any. I haven't seen any disclaimer at the end of her video.

There seems to be a few bullies on this forum too.

I am really tired of people that use the bullying card when people just disagree with them. Just because people disagree with you does not mean you are bullied. There are many people on this forum with an abundance of opinions. Some might agree with you, others will not, but that doesn't make them bullies.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

We have 5 tv's in our house, a pentagram on our living room floor, we drink brown liquor shots and listen to Ozzy and Alice and NIN backwards.
I'm trying to figure out where you equate tv's with bad parenting. Or Avril as being a bad artist because of the cost of the tickets and glow sticks. Or your particular perception of her video therefore means that it's about bullying. Or that well-adjusted, well educated, smart children can't go to a concert put on by someone who represents a lot better lifestyle in terms of role models. She eschews a lot of the negative choices that other celebs make. As for the video, Avril was interviewed on Much last year and yes indeedy it was a spoof of so called celebutantes and airheads.
This signature may be a forgery.
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Ticket's to Avril Lavigne $312.00
Glow Sticks - $20.00
Large Pepsis - $14.00
Cinnamon Churro's - 12.00
T-Shirts - $60.00

Look on two 8 year faces, when Avril came out singing "Girlfriend"

PRICELESS!!!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Peacelover, are you done?
When you commented on this thread being about whether people liked the concert or not, you should have left it at that. Why not start a bullying thread in social concerns? You're the only one concerned about this in this thread.
And by the way, just because people disagree with you and don't do it in the exact way that Ms. Manners might suggest, they are not bullies. They are merely people who disagree with you.
Of course, by your definition, I'm probably a bully.
This signature may be a forgery.
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

T6 terrificly glad you had a good time.

crash 99
Walks on Forum Water

Post by crash 99 »

sorry...gotta step in here (again...sorry for voicing my opinion, but feel that it needs to be addressed)
#1) I was bullied because i was the Fat kid.
#2) I was bullied because I was the SHORT fat kid.
#3) I was bullied because I was the "sensitive kid"..(easy mark)
#4) I became (for a very brief time) one of the Bigger /taller fat kids that had had enough of my even smaller buddies being bullied. Long/ short of it...I kicked the snot out of a bully in grade 8....in the middle of class, in the middle of an important exam, because I had had ENOUGH!

Was that right? Hell NO! But damn....did it have a GREAT effect....No more bullying.
To this day, Do i condone violence...not EVER, unless it's case of protecting ones self, or another, from grievous bodily harm.

people seem to want to blame TV, videos, musicians, etc for the problems of society, and bullying issues. I say BITE ME! I honestly believe that it all relates to insecurities..and somewhere down the line, feelings of inadequacy. (gotta make myself "big" somehow.)

I honestly do NOT think that lyrics/ video make things escalate.....Whom among us remember Woody Woodpecker cartoons? Ya wanna talk violence ( as perceived by today's society) WOW! All of our cartoons should've turned us into ax wielding homicidal maniacs!! Did it? No.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

peacelover wrote:Not sure what point you were trying to make. You kept referring to my kids so I was just clearing that up. Maybe you missed the point. No one's responded whether their kids have TV's in their bedrooms. Taking 8 or 9 or 10 or 12 yr olds to concerts like this - what exactly is being accomplished? I have not heard the entire latest Avril album, when I saw the Boyfriend video - that was enough for me. I see she didn't just get (what was it?) 40$ a head per ticket, she got a percentage of 10$ glow sticks too!

I've heard enough justifying. I am very well aware of bullying myself and how badly it can effect a child and ruin a childs developing years and negatively affect a person throughout their lives. This is why I object to her video. Show me some proof she is spoofing bullying, I haven't seen or heard any. I haven't seen any disclaimer at the end of her video.

There seems to be a few bullies on this forum too.

The point I was trying to make was that if you are that concerned about bullying, the music (along with the video) is the last thing you want to place the blame on.

I thought that was pretty obvious. :-k

You seem to want to place the blame for bullying everywhere except where it actually belongs; in the hands of the parents.

Back on topic, I'm glad to hear this concert was so well received. I had read generally bad reviews of the tour up until this point, so I'm glad that everyone that was able to take their kids had such a good time. :discodance:
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

peacelover wrote:My kids are all grown and married and haven't come back to bite me in the *bleep* thanks. But at ten and 8 or 12 they weren't listening to punk princesses swearing that's for sure. Maybe thats why my kids turned out so good.

I doubt it. I had my first introduction to the Sex Pistols at age 11. Even today, bands like the Dead Kennedys, the Misfits, and Black Sabbath are among my favourites. I feel confident in saying that I am a very positive, fair, and compassionate person.

Although Avril Lavigne is not my personal cup of tea, I believe that she is a better role-model for young girls than the majority of others whose music appeals to those in this age group. I have read the lyrics you posted to the song "Girlfriend", and did not interpret the song to be in any way the promotion of bullying. I mean, sure, if you have an agenda to push, you can interpret anything to fit what you want it to fit.

The music people listen to does not necessarily shape who they are as a person. I am glad that so many young girls have had the opportunity to attend a performance here in town of one of Canada's most popular musicians. For many of them it was their first concert, and I hope that it was an inspiration for them to see how far a girl from a small town in Canada can go, and to know that they too have what it takes to make their dreams a reality - with a little work.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
mechanic_virus
Lord of the Board

Post by mechanic_virus »

By the way, peacelover, I'm curious as to what some of your favourite bands are... it would be interesting to know of some bands that don't have any lyrics that could be interpreted by anyone to promote bullying of any sort.
Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

~ Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”