Avril to launch her own fragrance

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Avril to launch her own fragrance

Post by peacelover »

warden wrote:
peacelover wrote:thanks for the great debate

I don't think you were actually looking for a debate. I think you were looking for a bunch of people to jump on your "Avril is Evil" bandwagon. Unfortunately, short of airing your grievances on an 'I Hate Avril' website, you're unlikely to get all the bandwagoneers you're looking for.

The interesting thing is, you tried to start this same campaign in an earlier thread and got a similar response as you have on this one. I wonder what you expected to be different this time... :137:

Oh maybe for someone to say, bullying is wrong. To quote, "there is nothing in parodia to necessitate the inclusion of a concept of ridicule" (Hutcheon, 32).
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

Yes, I was looking for a bunch of people to agree bullying is wrong and shouldn't be made fun of to make a buck.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

peacelover wrote:Yes, I was looking for a bunch of people to agree bullying is wrong and shouldn't be made fun of to make a buck.

*sigh* Yes bullying is wrong, but Avril doesn't make it or break it. One video and a few quotes. How do you know she is not being misquoted? Don't believe everything you read on the net.

I wonder what fragrance we can expect from Avril?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

peacelover wrote:Yes, I was looking for a bunch of people to agree bullying is wrong and shouldn't be made fun of to make a buck.

And quite an interesting way to attempt to achieve that end result. That method is now zero for two in getting any results.
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

surprising to me I couldn't, oh well, shouldn't have been too hard small city of people on ignore
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

"Avril to Launch her own Fragrance" Rather a misleading thread title. . .

Then with your 1st post on the topic, you go into the rant. Maybe a different thread name, and the results / answers you were looking for may have been posted or replied to differently.

This is just my opinion.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

Triple 6 wrote:This is just my opinion.

And mine.

Hope I'm not called a :skippingsheep: now.
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

You're right peacelover - bullying is wrong. The difference is, I don't believe that one song is responsible for thousands of instances of bullying all over the world, or even just in Canada for that matter.

I have said it before, and I will say it again; Kids are way smarter than most adults give them credit for. A few lines in a song aren't going to make these smart kids turn to a life of harassment and bullying. The debate about music influencing kids has been going on for decades, all the way back to Elvis and his gyrating hips and rock n' roll being the devil's music. Elvis didn't end up causing waves of promiscuity across the US, rock n' roll didn't turn the masses to Satan. Avril Lavigne won't cause otherwise good kids to start tormenting their peers.
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

While I think bullying is a huge problem and a horrible thing for anyone to experience, I don't think Avril's perfume is going to impact it one way or another.
I am more surprized that perfume is still so popular given the number of people that have allergies to scented products and the number of businesses and medical facilities that ban scented products.
It also seems to me that with all the "green" messages we are bombarded with, wearing chemicals would be a considered negative thing. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Go figure.
I won't be buying Avril perfume, but then I haven't bought any perfume since "Charlie" was my scent in the 70s!
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Piecemaker wrote: I won't be buying Avril perfume, but then I haven't bought any perfume since "Charlie" was my scent in the 70s!

And I had ya pegged for a Chanel Gal!
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

Excellent point Piecemaker. Just for a peep, I didn't start this thread with a rant. I started it with quotes from A. L. I wasn't all impressed by the announcement that another "celebrity" is involved in a another mass money grab or whatever term you want to use. Does the world really need another perfume? No! A. L. is of the same generation of children I am well in touch with, most of who are so concerned about the effects mass consumerism has had on the earth they don't want to have children because they don't want to bring children into a world of suffering. They don't see things getting better. Oh, maybe as T6 says, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. Anyone who is not thinking forward and accepting that our future grandchildren will suffer the effects of political and commercial ill will is living in a dream.

I didn't mention bullying in this thread until yesterday after I read the thread about the missing boy and some of the subsequent posts. It got me all rankled. Sowwy, I've got a heart. I wonder how the mother of this young man would feel reading some of the responses on this thread. The dissasociation was imo a little crass. I am not short sighted enough to believe that A. L. is responsible for bullying. But given the phenomenon of You Tube and the amount of bullying videos posted on that site by young girls clearly bullying is on the increse, especially among girls - peeps there's a problem. The people who are responsible for the creative idea for A. L.'s video should have been damn well aware of it.

Back to the perfume...
peacelover
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by peacelover »

Triple 6 wrote:"Avril to Launch her own Fragrance" Rather a misleading thread title. . .

Then with your 1st post on the topic, you go into the rant. Maybe a different thread name, and the results / answers you were looking for may have been posted or replied to differently.

This is just my opinion.

Maybe you could suggest a new thread title that would have been more appropriate and which may have garnered a few more thought provoking posts. Now, I wonder what kind of perfume girl you think I am?
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

While I admire someone for standing up for what they believe in, and back that up by their actions, we have to remember not everyone is going to agree with our choices. I think it's terrible that many people feed their much loved dogs crap dog food. Many people either don't care enough, or dont want to know what exactly goes into the food they buy and how companies who are behind commercial dog food support cruel animal testing. Though I feel passionately about what I feed my dogs and choose to educate myself on the matter, I would never come on here and force my views on others.

Avril is only one of many, many celebrities who market themselves with the goal of making a profit. What I think would be rather nice is to see a celeb put their name on something like a perfume, with the intent of the profits going to a charity they support.

I'm thinking maybe you simply wanted to let people know why you don't support AL and bring light to the fact that she may not be the best role model for young girls. Again, she is only one of many. Maybe a poll would have been a good idea? :129:

~D
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

peacelover wrote:
Triple 6 wrote:"Avril to Launch her own Fragrance" Rather a misleading thread title. . .

This is just my opinion.

Maybe you could suggest a new thread title that would have been more appropriate and which may have garnered a few more thought provoking posts. Now, I wonder what kind of perfume girl you think I am?

I have no need to start a new thread, I'm not concerned enough about the topic. Sorry.

However you seem like a rather passionate woman, so I'm gonna suggest "5th Avenue" by Elizabeth Arden. :)
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

peacelover wrote:But given the phenomenon of You Tube and the amount of bullying videos posted on that site by young girls clearly bullying is on the increse, especially among girls - peeps there's a problem. The people who are responsible for the creative idea for A. L.'s video should have been damn well aware of it.

You are absolutely correct, bullying is a terrible thing, it's really nasty between girls (I don't know if it's actually increasing or if we just see and hear more of it than we used to), and we need to talk to our youngsters and encourage them to look for other ways to solve their differences. Perhaps parents could use this music video as an opportunity to bring up the topic of bullying with their little Avril fans and start a dialogue about it. Turn something negative into a positive!

I also am in agreement that this is just one more money grab for Avrl, as it is with all other celebs who delve into the fragrance market. The fact is, she's entitled to do it as is anyone else. It doesn't speak one way or the other to her character. I happen to think she's a bit of a *bleep*, but as evidenced in the link I provided she does some good things too, so I've got to give her credit for that.

Where you lose me is when you start tying fashion choices into her character. In this thread you've mentioned purple hair streaks, glitter eye make-up. In the other thread you brought up the 'emo look'. None of these things make kids bullies. I'm 28 years old, work in an office job (which I've held for 10 years) and up until about 8 months ago, had blue streaks in my hair. I've also had orange, pink, and purple over the years and I likely will again. I also used to frequent Goth Night at the clubs in Vancouver and dressed appropriately for it. What does all that make me? Doesn't bullying start with people making judgements about others with nothing to substantiate them?
Not all those who wander are lost. - J.R.R. Tolkien

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”