"Fat Cat Festival"

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
onestop67
Guru

Re: "Fat Cat Festival"

Post by onestop67 »

$800 a month in the 1920's would be like a million a month now though!!! *bleep*
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

onestop67 wrote:$800 a month in the 1920's would be like a million a month now though!!! *bleep*

Pow Zing.

It was actually the late seventies to 80's.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Every town and city has families that live from hand to mouth. You help them out as best you can, but they have to get through it with some independence. And sometimes that means that not everybody gets to do the same as everyone else. I've seen families that struggle to get by with no luxuries at all, and I've seen parents complain about getting by while drinking beer, smoking a cigarette and picking up a few groceries at the local kwikki mart. My support goes to those who do without all that.
This signature may be a forgery.
Smuckers
Board Meister

Post by Smuckers »

I agree that the admission should be free and the money raised for the festival should come from the sale of the Booster Packs. If my memory serves me correctly the line up for the packs was crazy and the packs sold out every year!
bbprivateer

Post by bbprivateer »

Well,

I think we are getting ourselves into a mind-trap in Kelowna -- maybe even a bit of a rut.. and one reason why Kelowna is dubbed "snob-hill".

Frankly, public festivals shouldn't cost to get in -- this is a "KELOWNA" thing and not indicitative of the rest of our province. In Vancouver, they have hundreds of festivals, includinging Children's festivals that are a free or nearly free.. I am not sure what they do in Alberta or Sask -- never lived further east than Kelowna. So it might be where the mentality comes from.

Every year in Vancouver they have Shakespeare performances along the beach, fringe festivals, Italian festivals,etc... and a plethora of other cultural experiences that are all free-of-charge Sometimes, when there is an admission charge it is usually by donation to the foodbank. So the families that can afford to give do, and those they can't will not only take in a good show, but receive the goods down at the local foodbank.

Now unfortunately, in Kelowna we have a very poor mindset -- we think everything should have an admission price associated with it -- Forget the Hawaii of Canada folks -- Kelowna thinks it is Beverely Hills....

Fat Cat this year was again very short of volunteers, and sponsors... and that is why there were charges (and necessary to put it on). But thanks to the relentless hard work of the organizers it was a success.. In defense of Fat Cat it takes alot of money, and work to put on a festival of this caliber -- and it is a very good high caliber event. Unfortunately, there aren't enough businesses and people in Kelowna that are willing to step-up to the plate and play ball in order to make the event free like in other B.C. Communities. This stems a little from the top-down (Kelowna Council), we are a small town that wants to be a savvy yuppie urban oasis.. but our run down downtown core is far from it... we bulldoze the heritage sites, and build leaky and sinking condos filling up public spaces as fast as we can -- How about we fix the newly built condemned sinking condos along the Kelowna waterfront and put some money into repairing the Laurel building first?

Not that development and public space can't go hand-in-hand.. in the right relationship it can work.... A good example is the Britannia Heritage Shipyard in Richmond and the same principle can be applied to public festivals and sponsorship --- Corporations should be stepping up and council should be trying to encourage businesses to be a part of community sponsorhip.. I didnt see Walmart, Home Depot, or any of our numerous "big box" retailers on the "Sponsor board". -- it's just Kelowna has real problem with this concept. It is really quite sad to see in such a beautiful city ---

I was one volunteer who was manning a booth, and besides donating my time, and spending alot of time preparing and personal money on displays, I also had to pay to rent tables, and chairs etc... But it is all worth it -- to put a smile on a kids face, especially when I know that for many families in the Okanagan it may be the only affordable cultural experience left.. and I am happy to do it.. This town really needs more free cultural events --- we really suck at it, compared to the rest of B.C.

It may not sound like much but $15 here and there with a family really adds up. It pains me to hear people tell others to "suck it up".. and again is somewhat indicative of how people think here... We would rather look for someone's lost dog, then try to improve the standard of living for our own citizens. Other communities (such as Vernon) have family days and even "free" public pools... anyone who has been up to the old "peanut" pool knows what I am talking about.

You know, I am starting to think that Kelowna probably will be the only community in B.C. to find a way to charge families to use the public "water-parks"... and many people here are either too stupid or ignorant enough to think that this is acceptable...

In any event, I am glad you had fun at Fat Cat -- and kudos to all the hardworking volunteers and organizers.. I just wish the person who thinks $15 is affordable for everyone would donate a little of their time to help out at next year's festival.

Changing the attitude of this town has to start from within each of us... nothing will get done about us all bitchin' and complain' about "clown councils" and costly events -- nothing to do etc.. I think JFK had the right idea --- and the premise can apply here, each of us can contribute to make a little bit of a difference, "Ask not what Kelowna can do for you... but what can you do for Kelowna!".. there are quite a few people doing this already -- but unfortunately not enough.

Just imagine if the person who thinks $15 is nothing, & paid the $15 for the family that cant afford it... What is $30 to such a high-roller?, and it might just make one families summer! :)

It's all about your attitude.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”