So You Think You Can Dance

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

To the editor:
Did any one else watch this last night? I was so excited to see Kevin Mylrea as one of the first through the Vancouver Auditions. Not only did he make it through, but the judges said things like "I don't think we have seen all you can do."

"Power house, power house, power house."

Best of all Mary Murphy herself said, "Let me tell you what I didn't like....NOTHING, I LOVED IT," in her traditional Mary Murphy scream.

Any one from Kelowna or Westbank should KNOW Kevin CAN dance if you have ever seen him. I had the pleasure of dancing with him years ago and am so proud of him!

Kathy, you did a great job girl! I just hope that we as a community, when we get the chance to vote, use every opportunity to vote for this VERY talented LOCAL boy (who has danced in things like Lizzy McGuire).

GO KEVIN GO!

I'm going to be a BIG fan!

Kindra Wilson - Kelowna

Posted: Sep 16, 2008 / 5:00 am
Story# 41791 / Contributed

Link: Vancouver: Day 1
Well I've never been a huge fan of "so you think you can dance" but Kevin will definitely make a fan out of me. I first watched him dance at 11 yrs of age when my daughter was taking ballet lessons, and in the recital he danced an amazing rendition of "cotton eyed joe" He's got every vote I can make.
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson
blondewithbrains
Board Meister

Re: So You Think You Can Dance

Post by blondewithbrains »

There was another local who was picked for Toronto...they didnt really show her, but her name is Cailey Gilmurray and she used to teach hip hop at Stage Door and is now an instructor at Oranj Dance and Fitness...from what I have heard though is she didnt make it past Toronto...:(

We will be watching for Kevin and cheering for him!
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge.
Charles Whitman II
Board Meister

Post by Charles Whitman II »

hey Ferri...... Doesn't this contradict everything you said to me about entertainment postings?

Consitancy people.....

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.

(Orwell never lets me down.)
"If you're going to be crazy, find a way to get paid for it, or they're gonna lock you up." - HST
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

You know the Apathy ( not, I mean not naming any names)in this community can really irk me at times. Here we have a talented young man from Westbank who is going to be seen by millions of people. When I watch reality shows, it is just fabulous how the contestant's
communities pull for them support them and vote. If he wins, and he could well win, I think it would be great to have his hometown supporters cheering him on via cable link. What a wonderful way to bring notariety to our town. If the name changes, even more reason to put us on the map Does anyone have any POSITIVE thoughts on that?

edited to add

Kevin made it into the top 20. Technically perfect GO KEVIN
Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless,and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful Samuel Johnson
bornhere63
Fledgling

Post by bornhere63 »

I wish I had seen Kevin's audition, but I keep missing that episode. Clearly Jean-Marc pulled for him and pointed out that he is technically strong, but I wish he had not made it to top 20. I watched the top group selection process and the limiting to top 20 and Kevin did not stand out from the crowd, as he was told when he got chosen for top 20. I would like to have seen him instead encouraged to take another year to work with master teachers and equally talented dancers, then come back to next year's auditions.

It seemed to me that he did not belong in the top 20 YET, but that he could, given some more maturity, be competetive at that level. Now he will not have the opportunity to try, since top 20s are not allowed to audition the next year.

He has been a huge fish in a tiny pond, and needed more competition at his own level in the big lake before being ready to take on the national challenge. He seemed surprised when he left the show early, which makes me wonder whether he has received enough high level critique to have an accurate perception of his abilities.

It is sad that his chance for this competition is over. I hope he takes classes in bigger lakes for awhile, hears some critique appropriate to his level to challenge his competetive nature, and finds another way to pursue his passion.

:134: Best wishes Kevin.
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx
copper02
Board Meister

Post by copper02 »

I agree with you , but I didn't know they couldn't come back next year. Technically he is strong, but he just couldn't seem to get it all together. Sad to see him go, but like you said more training and he'll do better \:D/

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”