Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by ferri »

i just finished Mazie Baby by Julie Frayn

wow. it was a good book. here's the blurb from Amazon:

When Mazie Reynolds was a young girl, she believed monsters lived under her bed. Now a grown, married woman, she discovers one sleeps in her bed.

Mazie schemes to save herself and her daughter. Her plan will work, if she can out-maneuver the monster who is a master of manipulation and control. She's got one thing going for her, the one thing she truly owns. Mazie has moxie to the bone. But will it be enough?

this is the best fiction i have ever read on domestic violence.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Read any good books lately?

Post by Queen K »

Another one is Black and Blue by Anne Quindlen.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

QK - finished that trilogy you loaned me. Worth a second and third read at least. The movies (typically) don't do them justice.

For others curious - Hunger Games Trilogy.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill
Interesting read of an African-Canadian-American family...
Last edited by Barney Google on Jul 28th, 2016, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

"Poison or Protect" by Gail Carriger. What happens when a woman trained as an assassin falls in love?

Her first foray into adult romance (she's written a lot for young adult). I liked it :)
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Barney Google wrote:Any Known Blood by Lawrence Hill
Interesting read of an African-Canadian-American family...

I have that book but haven't read it yet. Have you read his book, The Book of Negroes? If not, I highly recommend it.

~CC
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I just started Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo. It's the 8th book in her Kate Burkholder series. I absolutely LOVE this series and I'm always a tad sad when the book ends but then I highly anticipate when the next book will be released. For those not familiar with this series:

"In the sleepy rural town of Painters Mill, Ohio, the Amish and “English” residents have lived side by side for two centuries. But sixteen years ago, a series of brutal murders shattered the peaceful farming community. Kate Burkholder, a young Amish girl, survived the terror of the Slaughterhouse Killer but came away from its brutality with the realization that she no longer belonged with the Amish. Now, a wealth of experience later, Kate has been asked to return to Painters Mill as Chief of Police. In these mystery thrillers, Kate must seek out the truth in a society of silence—and face some secrets of her own."

~CC
Nomaster
Board Meister

Post by Nomaster »

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Just finished the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearn - I'd recommend it. It won't find a place in my library, but it is definitely worth the read. The library has most of them, except for one of the "side" novels in ebook form (but they should be getting it as I've asked them to).

Also finished a book called "The Diviners" by Libba Bray. That one will be coming your way, QK.

Edit: after my bestie is done with it. She called dibs.

Read another called "Her Fearful Symmetry". It is an odd book.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I just started this book a few days ago and it's really good.

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Just finished two novels, based on recommendations from a group I follow on Facebook.

The Invisible Library by Genvieve Cogman https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/the-invisible-library/9781101988640-item.html

and

Just One Damned Thing After Another: The Chronicles of St. Mary's by Jodi Taylor https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/just-one-damned-thing-after/9781597808682-item.html

I highly recommend both, and they are available from the Okanagan Region Libarary. :biggrin:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Brambleman by Jonathan Grant

this one is on my "must read again list".

here's the run down on it from Amazon:

Winner of the 2013 Benjamin Franklin Award for popular fiction

Down-and-out Atlanta writer Charlie Sherman has no idea what madness awaits him when a mysterious stranger convinces him to finish a dead man’s book about a horrific crime that's gone unpunished for decades.

What Charlie inherits is an unwieldy manuscript about the mob-driven expulsion of more than 1,000 blacks from Forsyth County, Georgia in 1912. During the course of his work, Charlie uncovers a terrible secret involving a Forsyth County land grab. Due to its proximity to Atlanta, the stolen farm is now worth $20 million—and a sale is pending.

When he finds the land’s rightful owner, Charlie becomes convinced he's been chosen by a Higher Power to wreak justice and vengeance on those who profit from evil.

And then things go horribly wrong.

HISTORICAL BACKGROUND: Forsyth County, famous as the birthplace of Hee-Haw’s Junior Samples, has for most of the past century, existed as an intentionally all-white community bordering the black Mecca of Atlanta since 1912, following one of the 20th century’s most violent racist outrages—including lynching, nightriding, and arson.

In 1987, the sleepy community gained notoriety when a small march led by civil rights firebrand Hosea Williams was broken up by rock- and bottle-throwing Klansmen, neo-Nazis, and their sympathizers. Bloody but unbowed, Williams returned the next week with 25,000 followers in one of largest civil rights marches in history. There was talk of reparations. Oprah came. Protests and counter-protests yielded a landmark Supreme Court case on free speech. But most importantly, white people flocked to Forsyth. It became the fastest- growing county in the nation, the richest one in Georgia, and one of the twenty wealthiest in the U.S.

this may sound kind of dry and boring, but it's not. there are some parts in this book, actually a lot of parts, that are hysterical. the author has a fantastic sense of humor (unless you think calling your in-laws "The Varmints" is bad.) this book is edge of your seat, and laughing, but honestly learning a whole lot of history too.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Warriors Of The Storm by Bernard Cornwell. His ninth book in the Saxon Tales series.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have two books competing for my attentions: A Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowlings and Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger. One features a man who died and the other a book dealer who died. Oh NO! Not a book dealer... NOOOOOOOOOOO how can this happen? I have to read both now.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:sunshine: ATTENTION!

Have you seen the latest offerings at the Friends of the Library Book Sale? Softcover $1 and Hardcover are $2, regardless of whether they are fiction (novels) or non-fiction (everything else).

Today is done, so you'll have to go tomorrow, Friday 9 am til 9 pm, and Saturday 9 am til ??

St. Micheal's Hall, Sutherland Ave.

So many good books, too little time.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”