Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Read any good books lately?

Post by ferri »

I finished Mexican Gothic. It's good! :D

Since I still had a few minutes before time to turn off the Kindle I started "Into The Wild" by Jon Krakauer

It's been on my "to read" list for awhile but since the bus was in the news the other day I thought now was the time.

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wi ... k-80541598
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

A heart-stopping nail biter account of a mountain climbing experience gone horribly wrong is Joe Simpson’s Touching the Void

“Touching the Void is a 1988 book by Joe Simpson, recounting his and Simon Yates's near fatal descent after climbing the 6,344-metre peak Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. Approximately 15% of the book is written by Yates. It has sold over a million copies and has been translated into over 20 languages.” Wikipedia
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

If you like mountaineering books: https://www.amazon.com/Ogre-Biography-m ... 1911342797

His decent after climbing the Ogre would kill 90% of us. Doug Scott past away too young last year at 79.

Mystery mountain by Phillis and Don Munday, the attempts and final successful accent of the minor summit of Mt. Waddington. Amazing writing and exploits year over year in trying to find that mountain first noticed from Vancouver Island.

Everest the Hard way: Chris Bonington, with Haston and Scott. First accent of the southwest Face of Everest. Pictures themselves are rather jaw dropping.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

seewood wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm Started " Indian in the Cabinet" Judy Wilson Raybould. First 27 pages are good.
I had no idea she'd written a book - do let me know how it is!
I haven't failed until I quit.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Lady tehMa wrote: Oct 17th, 2021, 8:47 am seewood wrote: ↑Oct 13th, 2021, 1:34 pm
Started " Indian in the Cabinet" Judy Wilson Raybould. First 27 pages are good.
I had no idea she'd written a book - do let me know how it is!
Just about finished.

Worth a read for sure. Confirms my thoughts regarding Trudeau and enlightens me more on the indigenous efforts for self government and the seemingly continual blocking by some at the top in governments.
Confirms Canada is similar to many democratic countries everywhere in that as election time draws closer, any legislation remotely conceived as controversial is shuffled out of the fore.

Clarence Louie , Chief of the Osoyoos band has a book coming out in November I believe. I'll be looking for that as well.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Cool, thanks for the recommendation. :up:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

ferri - I think you would really like this one https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35965482

She also writes outright horror under Mira Grant . . .

There is "writer", "author" and then there is "wordsmith". She's the last one. When I'm reading her books I often stop just to admire the elegance of a phrase and the casual way she litters the pages with such artwork.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Oh! That sounds good! :D I like the cover of that the book too!

I have to confess that I am reading "Winter Moon" by Dean Koontz right now and for the first time in years I am a little concerned about what might be under the bed ready to grab my ankle. haha I feel so grown up.
― Albert Einstein
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

On a lighter note, I am currently reading The Vinyl Cafe Celebrates Stuart McLean, good for a laugh or two if you're feeling down.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I got my parents his books, they really enjoyed them
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Finished " Indian in the Cabinet" I think it's worth a read.
Because of cabinet and client confidentiality, we will never know what went on in cabinet. When Trudeau has said he never tried to coerce JWR into changing to a DPA for SNC, the taped conversation with Wernick just proved Trudeau was lying...again.

JWR was another disillusioned woman that truly hoped they could make a difference in making things better, however politics and the backroom boys and girls were more interested in staying in power, especially as time got closer to elections.
She offered a bit of a window as to what happens behind the scenes and the players involved.

I remember Carol Taylor in Gordon Cambell's cabinet lasting one term. A very capable woman that I suspect could not handle the behind the scene politics. Too bad.

Now to look out for Clarence Louie's upcoming book.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Just finished listening to the audiobook twice over. [ORL] The reader has the extraordinary ability to change her voice to differentiate amongst 10 unusual characters. Amazing.

Not only that, it is a fascinating story and along the way, you can pick up trivia to tuck into cerebral cortex to chew later on.

https://bookmarks.reviews/reviews/the-perfume-thief/
Set in Paris on the eve of World War II, Clementine, a queer American ex-pat and notorious thief, is drawn out of retirement and into one last scam when the Nazis invade”
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

seewood wrote: Nov 1st, 2021, 10:43 am Finished " Indian in the Cabinet" I think it's worth a read.
Because of cabinet and client confidentiality, we will never know what went on in cabinet. When Trudeau has said he never tried to coerce JWR into changing to a DPA for SNC, the taped conversation with Wernick just proved Trudeau was lying...again.

JWR was another disillusioned woman that truly hoped they could make a difference in making things better, however politics and the backroom boys and girls were more interested in staying in power, especially as time got closer to elections.
She offered a bit of a window as to what happens behind the scenes and the players involved.

I remember Carol Taylor in Gordon Cambell's cabinet lasting one term. A very capable woman that I suspect could not handle the behind the scene politics. Too bad.

Now to look out for Clarence Louie's upcoming book.
Thanks for the summary.
I'm putting this book on my Christmas list.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
jasonbryan

Post by jasonbryan »

I write... I have an ad up in the Library section!

Anyone interested in some local art?!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

I'm reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

I've had it on my kindle for a long time and decided it was time to actually read it. I got through about 20 pages and thought, "What have I done? *roll eyes* Well, I've read this much I might as well finish it." The book is 546 pages. [icon_lol2.gif]
Long story short (mine, not the book) the longer I read the better it got and now I'm having trouble putting it down! It's a really great read!
The Poisonwood Bible is a story told by the wife and four daughters of Nathan Price, a fierce, evangelical Baptist who takes his family and mission to the Belgian Congo in 1959. They carry with them everything they believe they will need from home, but soon find that all of it—from garden seeds to Scripture—is calamitously transformed on African soil. What follows is a suspenseful epic of one family’s tragic undoing and remarkable reconstruction over the course of three decades in postcolonial Africa.

The novel is set against one of the most dramatic political chronicles of the twentieth century: the Congo's fight for independence from Belgium, the murder of its first elected prime minister, the CIA coup to install his replacement, and the insidious progress of a world economic order that robs the fledgling African nation of its autonomy. Taking its place alongside the classic works of postcolonial literature, this ambitious novel establishes Kingsolver as one of the most thoughtful and daring of modern writers.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QTE9WU/re ... TF8&btkr=1
― Albert Einstein

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”