Read any good books lately?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Read any good books lately?

Postby ferri » Dec 12th, 2018, 10:06 am

I've been wanting to read the "Odd Thomas" series by Dean Koontz for awhile now. I finally broke down and bought all 8 ebooks and prayed that I would like them. I am still on book one, but I have to say that so far I am loving it! haha Spooky and funny, what a combination right? Ghosts and an exploding cow. Who could ask for more? :biggrin:
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 9621 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Dec 12th, 2018, 4:37 pm

I'm on "The Mortal Word", most recent novel in the Invisible Library series - I really recommend her work :)
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

ferri likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4111 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 13th, 2018, 6:24 am

I have to get back to reading.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

Lady tehMa likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13984 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 18th, 2018, 9:39 am

#447 The Judsons of South Cariboo

December 14th, 2018

A Mill Behind Every Stump

by Marianne Van Osch

Victoria: Heritage House, 2018

$19.95 / 9781772031164

Reviewed by Sage Birchwater

For several decades during the middle part of the 20th century it seemed like there was a (sometimes portable) bush mill behind every stump throughout the Cariboo. Then during the 1950s, bigger companies bought up the small independent sawmills and consolidated them into highly efficient lumber manufacturing plants centralized in the larger centres of 100 Mile House, Williams Lake, and Quesnel.

A Mill Behind Every Stump tells the human drama of this transition from bush mills to big industry following the lives of the people who were there to convey it.

https://bcbooklook.com/2018/12/14/447-t ... h-cariboo/
“There's no point in you betraying your future self to gratify your present self. It's a stupid game.”
~Jordan B. Peterson

Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 10781 posts

Postby seewood » Dec 22nd, 2018, 6:24 pm

When convenient, I've popped into several book stores looking for Gwynn Dyers latest book : Growing Pains. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Dyer

So far no bookstore has any of his books in stock but will order it for you. Last time we ordered anything on line, a total cluster f :cuss: ensued.
Climate Wars I though is a must read.

I'll keep looking.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1355 posts

Postby oneh2obabe » Dec 22nd, 2018, 7:43 pm

Amazon has Growing Pains - says delivery in 4-8 weeks.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... MTS961XE3P

Climate Wars - seems this book is in stock.
https://www.amazon.ca/Climate-Wars-Gwyn ... QFF816EZ19
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

seewood likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6549 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 31st, 2018, 11:56 pm

Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

ferri likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13984 posts

Postby ferri » Jan 18th, 2019, 10:48 am

I finished all the Odd Thomas books and now I'm sad. I feel like my best friend just moved away. :cry: Those books are so much fun. One of the things I loved was that when he was with a bad guy and the bad guy started swearing he would write it something like this: "You (expletive) better hope I don't catch your (expletive) (expletive)!" hahaha You have to fill in the blanks.
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby ferri » Jan 21st, 2019, 4:24 pm

I saw a few ads on tv for a mini series (?) on Fox. It looked good and creepy so I checked to see if there was a book. :D It's a trilogy! YIPPIE. So I'm reading book one, The Passage by Justin Cronin. It's written the way I love books like this to be done. One chapter is one characters story, next chapter is another characters and it all flows very smoothly. I'm having trouble putting it down at night.

Here's what it's about, from Amazon:

An epic and gripping tale of catastrophe and survival, The Passage is the story of Amy—abandoned by her mother at the age of six, pursued and then imprisoned by the shadowy figures behind a government experiment of apocalyptic proportions. But Special Agent Brad Wolgast, the lawman sent to track her down, is disarmed by the curiously quiet girl and risks everything to save her. As the experiment goes nightmarishly wrong, Wolgast secures her escape—but he can’t stop society’s collapse. And as Amy walks alone, across miles and decades, into a future dark with violence and despair, she is filled with the mysterious and terrifying knowledge that only she has the power to save the ruined world.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Postby Lady tehMa » Jan 29th, 2019, 7:19 am

I was able to indulge in a pile of "read but still want for my shelves" books because of Christmas. Most are here except for one backorder and a preorder.

I don't understand how some people don't stockpile their favourites to read. I love to get library books to decide if it is good enough to reread. For example "Ready Player One", I'm feeling the urge to reread that one. If I get the urge multiple times over the years, I'll add it to my shelf - as finances and shelf space permit.

My nephew is wanting to read my preferred genre of fiction and my sis asked for books for him for Christmas. I got him the Narnia series, and I got him Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey. Dragonsong was the book that launched my love for sci-fi. The opening line is still in my brain "Cottman 4 in the Sagittarius sector is a golden G-type star." I gave my copy to my cousin's daughter when she was of age. And now my sister's son has a copy. My sister got all teary on the phone, she says she remembers me reading to her from it (which is a very cool memory that I have absolutely NO recollection of :135: ).

Currently, I'm reading "A Plague of Giants" by Kevin Hearne. I have been assured by a friend who shares my taste that it is worth the read, but I'm struggling to get through the first third. A fantasy novel, about a war: told from multiple viewpoints (with different age, gender, nationalities etc.). I'm having issues trying to find the link all the way through. My friend told me I'll be quite hooked halfway through the book, I just have to get there. The book is the kind that lays a lot of groundwork for a new world but once you have that in your brain it reads a lot easier.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

ferri likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4111 posts

Postby just popping in » Jan 29th, 2019, 12:52 pm

seewood wrote:When convenient, I've popped into several book stores looking for Gwynn Dyers latest book : Growing Pains. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwynne_Dyer

So far no bookstore has any of his books in stock but will order it for you. Last time we ordered anything on line, a total cluster f :cuss: ensued.
Climate Wars I though is a must read.

I'll keep looking.

Growing Pains (23.95) 2 in stock at Mosaic Books, they can order Climate Wars (22.00) with approx arrival 12 days.
just popping in
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 491 posts

Previous

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts