Why are the downtown nightclubs empty?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Why are the downtown nightclubs empty?

Postby Lance7 » Apr 12th, 2010, 1:44 pm

Where are all the dancing queens, barstars etc... The nightclubs are ghost towns. Even if one club is near full it means the others are completely empty... somebody must have the answers
Lance7

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Why are the downtown nightclubs empty?

Postby bobenns » Apr 12th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Ummm,,, downturn in the economy ring any bells???? It's been a very slow winter downtown....

Oh I know, you went on Sunday night!!!! :dyinglaughing:
Last edited by bobenns on Apr 14th, 2010, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobenns

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby kgbvax » Apr 12th, 2010, 2:04 pm

Exactly. I can't spend bar/club/pub money like I used to. :132:
Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.
kgbvax
Fledgling

Postby NoComply » Apr 12th, 2010, 2:15 pm

$5 cover charge, $5-6 drinks. $40 gets you 7 drinks, now how much beer can you buy for that at the liquor store? Party with friends or go hang out with *bleep* who want to fight all the time. Plus the economy. Not really many reasons to go to the bar.
NoComply
Board Meister

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Apr 12th, 2010, 2:55 pm

NoComply wrote:$5 cover charge, $5-6 drinks. $40 gets you 7 drinks, now how much beer can you buy for that at the liquor store? Party with friends or go hang out with *bleep* who want to fight all the time. Plus the economy. Not really many reasons to go to the bar.

Exactly:

1. Drug users/sellers, roid monkeys, etc... that guys need to "watch out for"

2. 17 year old jailbait everywhere

3. Overpriced drinks

No thanks. I'd rather buy a bottle of rye and visit friends or have them over to my place.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1683 posts

Postby justmyopinion » Apr 12th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Vernon is becoming the same way - clubs are only packed with the very young....all us older folk are going to pubs or to friends houses....it's unfortunate, cause I really like to dance.....
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby MAPearce » Apr 12th, 2010, 4:04 pm

fvkasm2x wrote:
NoComply wrote:$5 cover charge, $5-6 drinks. $40 gets you 7 drinks, now how much beer can you buy for that at the liquor store? Party with friends or go hang out with *bleep* who want to fight all the time. Plus the economy. Not really many reasons to go to the bar.

Exactly:

1. Drug users/sellers, roid monkeys, etc... that guys need to "watch out for"

2. 17 year old jailbait everywhere

3. Overpriced drinks

No thanks. I'd rather buy a bottle of rye and visit friends or have them over to my place.

I too have had enough of that *bleep*.If I don't go to a quiet pub for a couple of pints,I'll pick up the Captain (Morgan that is) and head over to friends for a Nucks game. No juice monkeys or too cool dudes to put up with.
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4910 posts

Postby JLives » Apr 12th, 2010, 4:05 pm

It's the music too. All the clubs here cater to exactly the same crowd with that Top 40 *bleep*. The recent application for one catering to the 30+ crowd was shot down. Personally, I hate dancing but I would like a place that played hard rock and had decent pool tables for our rare nights out.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6558 posts

Postby vetstuff » Apr 12th, 2010, 4:14 pm

Kelownas night life has been like this since I was going to the clubs 20 years ago. Dead all winter and spring but once the weather heated up so did the clubs! There used to be a club called Roco Morrocos downtown that had college nights on Thursday, highballs and shooters were .25 cents, 20 bux got me pretty far back then!! Beer was a buck a pint! Im not sure if its the economy or if its just Kelowna, 'cause like I said it was just the same back in my day.
vetstuff

Postby quietlywatching84 » Apr 12th, 2010, 4:25 pm

Probably a mix of things.

1) Summer is not here yet

2) Economy is slow and probably hit young people hard

3) Other establishments can easily compete against them and are better suited to do so
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Postby toasteroven » Apr 12th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Lance7 wrote:Why are the downtown nightclubs empty?

Because they suck? People have better things to do? Social networking is making nightclubs irrelevant?
toasteroven

Postby ktowner » Apr 12th, 2010, 4:52 pm

Dont worry, as soon as summer hits the d-bags will be out in full force. Winters are usually quiet, May Long is usually when u will notice the change.
ktowner
Fledgling

Liked in: 29 posts

Postby Walking Wounded » Apr 12th, 2010, 6:17 pm

yep may long will hit & the clubs will be full..... they will still suck though
Walking Wounded
Übergod

Liked in: 2121 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Apr 12th, 2010, 6:20 pm

Two years ago I had some buddies come down from Edmonton and a friend up from Texas. Wanting to show them some fun, I took them out to a club at midnight on a Thursday. Place was dead. Literally 8-12 people inside.

We ended up going home 15 minutes later. I haven't been out to a club since.

I noticed a while back that it wasn't "cool" to go to a club until a certain time. The bars are open for what, 6 hours on a given night, but are only actually busy for 1.5 hours.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1683 posts

Postby bobenns » Apr 12th, 2010, 6:31 pm

vetstuff wrote:Kelownas night life has been like this since I was going to the clubs 20 years ago. Dead all winter and spring but once the weather heated up so did the clubs! There used to be a club called Roco Morrocos downtown that had college nights on Thursday, highballs and shooters were .25 cents, 20 bux got me pretty far back then!! Beer was a buck a pint! Im not sure if its the economy or if its just Kelowna, 'cause like I said it was just the same back in my day.

OK, it's a *bleep* contest then, so here it is, when I started sneaking in to the bars underage, back when the drinking age was 21, beer was 15 cents a glass. $2 was all you needed on a Friday night, but then I was working for $1.70 an hour, minimum was $1.30

I doubt that social networking is affecting the downtown scene any, people like to go where the action is and always have, but downtown Kelowna has become more and more hardcore over the years and the sentiment we are seeing here is that people don't have a good time or feel safe down there anymore. And probably the same downtown anywhere these days.
bobenns

Next

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts