Why are the downtown nightclubs empty?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Re: Why are the downtown nightclubs empty?

Postby Queen K » Apr 19th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Cateyes wrote:
Queen K wrote:
Cateyes wrote:I think internet is taking a bite and people don't go out as much because of cost. Way cheaper to stay at home on the internet and in many ways the internet is a better way to meet people.

My first thought was, "what kind of an oxymoronic statement is that, "the internet is a better way to meet people" indeed. But wait, a moment is happening here. I, I , I.... "agree" with you Cateyes! We agree! You are right, the internet is a thought process meeting. We have nothing else to judge by except words and usage. All the usual ways of societal meeting people are done away with on the internet, and maybe that's what makes it better is some ways.

What, you think I would say that going downtown and hanging out with *bleep* who just want to try look cool and fight while listening to loud crappy music in a dark room where you can't talk to anyone anyways as you drink your overpriced booze and ogle the self centered disco queens is a better way to go?

Alternatively, sitting alone, with a cat on one's lap, no imput by anyone else into one's space, but one's thoughts in a sterile environment is actually conducive to meeting people. Weird eh?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14331 posts

Postby MAPearce » Apr 20th, 2010, 6:02 am

Alternatively, sitting alone, with a cat on one's lap, no imput by anyone else into one's space, but one's thoughts in a sterile environment is actually conducive to meeting people. Weird eh?

Well....sure?? How many cats?
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4620 posts

Postby Cateyes » Apr 20th, 2010, 8:11 am

Queen K wrote:
Cateyes wrote:
Queen K wrote:
Cateyes wrote:I think internet is taking a bite and people don't go out as much because of cost. Way cheaper to stay at home on the internet and in many ways the internet is a better way to meet people.

My first thought was, "what kind of an oxymoronic statement is that, "the internet is a better way to meet people" indeed. But wait, a moment is happening here. I, I , I.... "agree" with you Cateyes! We agree! You are right, the internet is a thought process meeting. We have nothing else to judge by except words and usage. All the usual ways of societal meeting people are done away with on the internet, and maybe that's what makes it better is some ways.

What, you think I would say that going downtown and hanging out with *bleep* who just want to try look cool and fight while listening to loud crappy music in a dark room where you can't talk to anyone anyways as you drink your overpriced booze and ogle the self centered disco queens is a better way to go?

Whatever floats your boat cat lady. If you think that is your only alternative then too bad so sad.
Find something to give a damn about!
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 0 post

Postby detour » Jun 24th, 2011, 3:49 am

SpazmoTheMagnificent wrote:Why are all the downtown nightclubs empty?

Could it be that people have all of a sudden become smarter?

LOL...not likely...so...likely...

Time of the year + Economy = slow business.

OMG can only imagine the night life in Kelowna,I was a DJ at the cave in 1987 what a nightmare tryed to educate the masses on new music but to no avail all they wanted to hear was hard core rock...myself now a music producer and own my own bars in Calgary,come on Kelowna wake up
detour

Postby Queen K » Jun 24th, 2011, 6:43 am

Detour, thanks for coming on. A friend of mine waitressed at The Cave backthen. Now she owns a cool business.

Ya, that's why my hubby's band does covers everyone knows, and keeps them dancing til closing. Rock is what they want. New stuff is worked on but the crowds get up when they hear to oldies for sure. Evil Woman, All Shook Up, All My Lovin', Twist and Shout, you name it... we could go on and on. Whiski Jack's had crowds til one dancing the night away last weekend. Can't say what is going on downtown Kelowna, they don't hire live.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14331 posts

Postby CJT84 » Jun 24th, 2011, 9:14 am

Lady tehMa likes this post.
CJT84
Board Meister

Liked in: 1 post

Postby RJ2 » Jun 24th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Over taxed, Over regulated and punished for success its the way it works in this province......
RJ2
Fledgling

Postby Bpeep » Jun 24th, 2011, 1:06 pm

MAPearce wrote:

Well....sure?? How many cats?

With kitties, it only requires one.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive *bleep* excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10420 posts

Postby KelownaCrackinCrew » Oct 27th, 2018, 9:54 am

Does anyone remember a place called Pirates Cove, was located at the old A&B sound...if so, how was it?
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Liked in: 241 posts

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:05 am

It was the Cave, as I remember it.. dont recall it having any other name..
It was frequented by Pirates, Wenches, and Scallywags..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

3 people like this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2366 posts

Postby Kelownah » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:12 am

I think I was conceived in that cave...

2 people like this post.
Kelownah
Fledgling

Liked in: 83 posts

Postby W105 » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:12 am

had many good times at the Cave...it had huge booths that could hold many people, had to watch for puke under those booths though...lol
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby t76turbo » Oct 28th, 2018, 11:10 am

The Cave was before my time.
For a while Flashbacks was my second home from around 2003 to 2007 ish, memories are kind of blurry around that time...
Had a blast, this was my early 30’s. Then the crowds got younger and younger and the d-bags slowly moved in as well.
More and more fights followed.
Staff was great and I was on first name basis with all. Never had to wait in line either. Managers always said hello and regularly bought me a drink or two. We always hung out in the old smoking section by the pool tables. Man, I miss those days!
O, and I did meet my ex-wife there as well.
Now with 4 kids in the house and taxing work life I’m usually in bed by 10, thinking back, my friends used to show up at my place for drinks around that time, once it got close to 11:30 pm cabs were summoned and we’d be in the club by 12am.
2AM came way too early, but then again after hours parties rocked as well.
Good times!!

voice of reason likes this post.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 179 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 28th, 2018, 11:15 am

To the title of the thread:
Just maybe peoples disposable income is shrinking, and there priorities have changed.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

voice of reason likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8438 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby 60-YEARS-in-Ktown » Oct 28th, 2018, 11:36 am

I think we just got old and investing in our own properties not some night club owners property or buying them a new pool or car...
In other words some of us grew up.. but I bet a few are still hanging out there..

Some of us had a revelation.. I did.
I wear boots, always have, spent a lot of working time needing to..
And I ride motorcycles, so boots and leather are a good idea.
And one summer I rode from here to the Mexican border, thru about 7 states, and I could go ANYwhere and get myself a drink. No problem. Then I get back here and the nightclub had a dress code and I can't get in. And I hang out on the sidewalk and watch the people. And I start thinking. , i am trying to spend my money I here and I can't , because its summer and busy, so they can afford a dresscode. But in the winter when it's slow I can get in some of these clubs dressed like I am...hmmmm.
And then it came to me... why pay for the nightclub owners pool, when I can keep my money, or invest it in me..

And then the choice got much clearer..
But I got to say, it sure seems pricey to eat or drink in a pub these days.,
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

2 people like this post.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2366 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts