Best place to buy groceries?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
jasmineschmidtz

Best place to buy groceries?

Post by jasmineschmidtz »

I usually buy groceries from Superstore. I have one of their credit cards so I earn points from every dollar spent resultin in $20 taken off my bill here and there. All in all though, groceries are :cuss: expensive! Where does everyone else shop?
Last edited by jasmineschmidtz on Feb 7th, 2017, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Best place to buy groceries?

Post by Lady tehMa »

Most fruit from the fruit packers on Vaughn Ave. Lunch meat from Med Market. Cheese from either Med Market or Costco, the rest of the dairy from Costco. Some fruit/veggies at Old Town. Meat - used to be Coopers/Costco but now I flyer shop. Packaged goods either Superstore or on sale somewhere.

Plus I grow a bunch of food myself, and freeze or can it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

jasmineschmidtz wrote:I usually buy groceries from Superstore. I have one of their credit cards so I earn point from every dollar spent and will get $20 taken off my bill here and there. All in all though, groceries are :cuss: expensive! Where does everyone else shop?

I went there a couple of times, not a fan of there need of shoppers to have to constantly hunt things down. Because they move it around... so shoppers are forced to look... maybe buy stuff they did not go to get.

get to cashier and go holly sh :cuss: , how did that happen.... no thanks

I'm an old fart who prefers human cashiers & local owned and operated
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

My fridge. I have no idea how it gets there, but there's always food in it.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I like Walmart; but you have to be very selective because while some items are very well priced, others most definitely are not. Plus they don't have the same wide range of choice as they do at the Superstore.

Whatever I can't find at Walmart, or decide is not well priced there, I usually pick up at the Superstore.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

For personal, we shop at Save on Foods. It can be more expensive, but we find most of the stuff we buy regularly is on sale often. Service is way better then Walmart and Superstore, and I don't leave there irritated like I do the other stores.

For work, I shop at Superstore. We are on a tight budget, and it is a good combo of cheapest prices and okay service. The card with their points system is a big bonus as well.
hail Satan y'all
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We buy bulk from Costco + fruits and veggies from farmers place on Hollywood and HWY 33.

You can't beat Costco price-wise.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Even Steven wrote:We buy bulk from Costco + fruits and veggies from farmers place on Hollywood and HWY 33.

You can't beat Costco price-wise.

My issue with Costco is you have to be able to afford the price up front (my boyfriend and I get 5 things from costco regularly and every time it costs us about $150). Which in the long run is cheaper, but we have to plan to have that $150 ready to go. I imagine that could be harder for families or people living more paycheck to paycheck.

And the storage issue lol. We live in a little 1 bed room carriage house, there isn't enough storage to be able to bring home such big quantities.
hail Satan y'all
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I had shopped at Costco and Superstore solely for the past 5 years.

Had a terrible Superstore experience with a staff member and manager... so I won't go back. I even cancelled my PC Mastercard because I used it for PC points for free groceries.

I picked up a 6x points Save On Visa and will be shopping there now. They have a big discount on the first Tuesday of every month, plus my 6x points will offset any savings that would have been made by shopping at Superstore. They won't get a dime from me again

whatwhat wrote:My issue with Costco is you have to be able to afford the price up front (my boyfriend and I get 5 things from costco regularly and every time it costs us about $150). Which in the long run is cheaper, but we have to plan to have that $150 ready to go.

Put it on a credit card? They used to take Amex, but now it's Mastercard
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Save On and Lakeview Market (they are close), Costco and Wal Mart.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Read ALL of the grocery flyers EVERY week and pretty much know who has what we need or go through at the best price that week. Do Costco every Monday and some days just walk out of there with half and half. Common regular items at Costco usually go on sale every 6 weeks or so (there is a pattern to many of their items)...........have NEVER filled a cart up there like so many do with larger families. Save On is the store we go to least........their regular prices tend to be the highest around. Safeway has DROPPED regular prices considerably in the past year and it is sure evident to me. Make it a point to go to Lakeview Market at least once a week.........every week. Usually the best prices on produce and their quality is as good or better than all of the others.

Bottom line.......if you support or only go to one store in this town........you will go broke!
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Superstore, Walmart and Save-On-Foods will match prices when you bring in the competitor's flyer.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

lesliepaul wrote:Read ALL of the grocery flyers EVERY week and pretty much know who has what we need or go through at the best price that week. Do Costco every Monday and some days just walk out of there with half and half. Common regular items at Costco usually go on sale every 6 weeks or so (there is a pattern to many of their items)...........have NEVER filled a cart up there like so many do with larger families. Save On is the store we go to least........their regular prices tend to be the highest around. Safeway has DROPPED regular prices considerably in the past year and it is sure evident to me. Make it a point to go to Lakeview Market at least once a week.........every week. Usually the best prices on produce and their quality is as good or better than all of the others.

Bottom line.......if you support or only go to one store in this town........you will go broke!

What I've noticed is ever since Sobeys bought out Safeway there prices have been more competitive to Loblaws/Superstore. So in a pinch & that they are open at 7am I will purchase at downtown Safeway... bonus no automated checkouts.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

whitecandle wrote:Superstore, Walmart and Save-On-Foods will match prices when you bring in the competitor's flyer.

Ain't nobody got no time for that. Walmart sucks. No selection and prices aren't very good on what there is. I do stupid store 70%, Save-On/Coopers 15%, Farmer's market 10%, everything else 5%.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

^^^Not hard to throw flyers in your reusable bags and head to 1 or 2 stores but if you'd rather waste your tme and gas driving to 4 or 5, have at it.
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”