The Oregon Coast and only the Oregon Coast.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
emc group
Fledgling

Re: The Oregon Coast and only the Oregon Coast.

Post by emc group »

we stayed at campers west in warrenton. yes the elk were there every morning . not a pedal bike, but a 1800 cc victory street bike' .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Every morning? :200:

Wish I knew that before, I would have made sure I was there.

I'd love to have an Elk shot with waves in it just like I saw in Wheeler, OR.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
emc group
Fledgling

Post by emc group »

The resident elk we saw daily were inland a bit on Hwy 104 fort Stevens Hwy across from where we had our rig. Very tame.
If you stay for any length of time, get a Fred Myers card, can use it for everything, fuel, food etc. seemed like we shopped there a lot. Also, a great Costco for the rainy days.
My idea was not to just see how far south I could get on the bike, but to stop and explore. Hwy 202, Nehalem Hwy starting at Astoria, then loop onto sunset Hwy, or Hwy 26 bk to the ocean was a great loop. climb to some good elevation, so not recommend for a motor home, narrow but a great smooth rd, almost no traffic. Small townships, and abandoned schools along the way. No gas though.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We also noticed the lack of traffic. In fact, one of the residents there said, "notice something, hardly any cars."

I figure it is because the retired/working split there is 60/40 or higher. The abandoned schools we did not notice. But we also stayed strictly on Hwy 101 with the exception of scenic by passes closer to the ocean.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've looked at that trip a few times and it's on my bucket list for sure. I'd like to take the ferry from Victoria to the north side of the Olympic Peninsula and start from there, probably working my way to Portland and then back north from there. Portland is a very neat city, and a food truck paradise if your menu runs that way.

Another thing that has been popping up here and there are vintage trailer resorts, where your "room" is a refurbished travel trailer from the 50's. Pretty cool, there is one in Seaview, Washington, just north of Astoria, and another a little ways south of Portland. My brother stayed in a similar set-up in Arizona and said it was interesting.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It all depends upon what you want, highlights or the whole thing.

We took two days to get there, with a stop at Mt. St. Helen's on the way and one day/night on the coast of WA. Can't decide if that one detracted from the OR experience or not. Maybe it was a waste of time. But one thing for sure, if I were to go back, I'd fly to Portland, rent a vehicle and drive, no wasted time driving, lost four days in driving down. Sure we saw stuff, but for the full ocean experience on limited time, I'd fly back.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We would just go for a longer time. Park at 1 or 2 places and do day trips. It's a bit of a pain to hook up the RV for a 1-2 hour drive.

The Aquarium in Newport is really worth seeing.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Oct 16th, 2017, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bsuds wrote:We would just go for a longer time. Park at 1 or 2 places and do day trips. It's a bit of a pain to hook up the RV for a 1-2 hour drive.

The Aquarium in Newport is really worth seeing.

Absolutely can agree with that statement. We were a bit North of Newport when I made the decision to double back and go see Nye Beach (waste of time, nice shops but expensive) and the Aquarium. We spent hours in there. Wonderful gem on the coast.

Another thing, the Sealion Caves have NO Sea Lions at this time of year.
You can pay your $25 bucks each and go see an empty cave and get in free within a year though.
We declined.

What we did not know was that the Historic docks in Newport had all the Sea Lions lolling about. For free. People had to tell us that later, in a hot tub, well North of Newport.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Some places in the world have spectacular natural beauty. Canon Beach is one of those places.

Cannon Beach is One of the 21 Most Beautiful Beaches in the World! (National Geographic)

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

It really is, we have been there twice now and it takes the breath away. So glad they don't allow fast food or gas stations.

Neither does Yachats, no gas stations, you have to go six miles out of town.
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

One of my favourite places for a getaway❤️We’ve stayed at both the hallmark resort and the Stephanie and would recommend either.. They were both lovely, and right across from Haystack rock. Any recommendations for other lodging? Always looking to try new places.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

shoo wrote:One of my favourite places for a getaway❤️We’ve stayed at both the hallmark resort and the Stephanie and would recommend either.. They were both lovely, and right across from Haystack rock. Any recommendations for other lodging? Always looking to try new places.

The last time we were down we rented a little house for the 4 of us.

We also have camped at the camp ground in Cannon Beach
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
jennykumeo

The Oregon Coast And Only The Oregon Coast.

Post by jennykumeo »

Just got back from the Oregon coast drive, yes, Highway 101 spans WA and CA, and we did spend one day in WA and crossed over the bridge over to Astoria, OR, but this thread is to discuss what you found to be the best, worst and ugly of the Oregon Coast.

This was my second time there, but the first time was guided by a friend who only wanted to spend four days there, and only hitting highlights.

On this specific trip we hit new areas, beaches and were able to take in waysides and small town shopping.

If you've never spent time on the Oregon coast, let me assure you, it's a tourist paradise and no amount of time will feel like enough.

There's just too much.
holdin

Post by holdin »

We always have a politically incorrect laugh in Tillamook when we see the people there, as it appears almost all of them seem to really like to eat a lot of their Tillamook cheese!

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”