Quinoa

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Quinoa

Post by Queen K »

I love trying new foods and will every now and then absolutely absorb something into our every day meals.

the new thing is quinoa, which I've just discovered by grabbing one of those salads at Costco. "Let's try this."

It is so good, I want to now cook it at home and make my own salads with my own vegetable mixes.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-fe ... ok-quinoa/

Does anyone else do this at home? :135:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Re: Quinoa

Post by Loki2u »

Queen K wrote:I love trying new foods and will every now and then absolutely absorb something into our every day meals.

the new thing is quinoa, which I've just discovered by grabbing one of those salads at Costco. "Let's try this."

It is so good, I want to now cook it at home and make my own salads with my own vegetable mixes.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/news-and-fe ... ok-quinoa/

Does anyone else do this at home? :135:

Quinoa is a staple at my place. It's dirt cheap, easy to make, and its very mild flavour makes it exceptional to season or flavour with whatever you like!

I usually add in some corn kernals, spinach, feta cheese, green onion and a mild italian dressing.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

After paying 14.00 at Superstore for a large amount, and 9.99 at Costco, I will be learning how to make it.

I like the flavours they used, particularly the mint/parsely mix from the Costco brand. Both of which I grow at home. :biggrin:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

Oh wow - we love this at our place. I take it a step further; I rinse the quinoa and then put it into my cast iron frypan then "toast" it. The cast iron evaporates the water pretty quickly. It is delicious!

We eat it like rice, or make a salad using the quinoa as a base. I often will put seasonings directly into the water I'm cooking it in (ie: greek seasoning).

Yum, so glad you tried it!
Non illegitimi carborundum est.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I like it so much, I hope it's going to help me reduce my cravings for high fat foods.

And sugars. Lately it's been hard to resist. Quinoa seems to mitigate against this.
Ptolemy Soter
Fledgling

Post by Ptolemy Soter »

I love quinoa. I tend to just cook it in water or broth, then add some sea salt and pepper, some oil or fat, and all is well. I often cut buckwheat into said... gruel.

:up:
I am... the law!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

I don’t know if they still make it but Lakeshore Bakery in the mall used to have a quinoa salad with diced roasted beets, goat cheese, some kind of greens (maybe arugula) and a vinegarette, so good.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I’ll have it for breakfast with cinnamon and vanilla for extra flavour, or cut up a strawberry.... it doesn’t turn into concrete like cream of wheat, either.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Little Chilleans starve when rich people in north america take up eating quinoa. U r evil if u eat this. Do your research. It is a staple for south americans. They can no longer afford to eat. Due to our stupid fad diets
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Ymmmmm, that looks good Fancy.

Never thought of it for breakfast, I'm going to have to buy some next time I'm in Costco. To cook that is.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Little Chilleans starve when rich people in north america take up eating quinoa. U r evil if u eat this. Do your research. It is a staple for south americans. They can no longer afford to eat. Due to our stupid fad diets

Maybe follow your own advice:
A 2016 study using Peru's Encuesta Nacional de Hogares, a large-scale, nationally representative household survey, found that during 2004-2013 rising quinoa prices led to net economic benefits for producers,

Efforts are being made in some areas to distribute quinoa more widely and ensure that farming and poorer populations have access to it and have an understanding of its nutritional importance. These efforts include incorporating it into free school breakfasts and government provisions distributed to pregnant and nursing women in need.[34]

Wikipedia

Back to eating - must replenish my stock.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

We met a fellow at The Flower Farm who indicated he was going to experiment to see if our growing season is long enough here. It’s quite a pretty blossom.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

It's disgusting and should only be served as prison food. Only hipsters eat it voluntarily.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Even Steven wrote:It's disgusting and should only be served as prison food. Only hipsters eat it voluntarily.

Perhaps your just not preparing it right? There was a time in my life when I found a lot of different vegetables and grains as "disgusting". Then i found or was shown new ways to prepare them or even hide them in meals, this way you get all the nutrition from them with none of the taste's.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”