What You Don’t Know About Costco’s $1 Hot Dogs

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

What You Don’t Know About Costco’s $1 Hot Dogs

Post by oneh2obabe »

On my last trip I found the Kirkland brand hot dogs and Polish sausages in the meat section - $13.99 for a 1.13kg pack (14 in the package) - same as what's sold at the food counter. Saves heading to Costco when you feel like a hot dog or sausage on a bun.

Costco: Probably the only place in the world where you pick up a multipack of kombucha (or literally anything), restock your diaper supply, fill your gas tank for next to nothing, and – perhaps the most enjoyable aspect – enjoy a hot dog with a drink for just $1.50, all at the same time.

The latter has made the warehouse one of the most popular in the nation and beyond. But what do you actually know about this infamous hot dog? Besides that it’s delicious, cheap, and makes your Costco trips more enjoyable, of course.

Here are 9 things you may not know about Costco’s hot dog:

1. It’s been around for 34 years.
That’s right, Costco’s hot dog was born in 1984. And the price tag hasn’t budged once in that time.

2. They never shrunk it down.
Ever notice if a price remains the same for so many years, the product will miraculously get smaller? That’s never been the case with the Costco hot dog. In fact, the dog has actually gotten bigger, standing in at 10 percent plumper and longer than when it started at a quarter pound. The drink was supersized as well; in 1984, it was 12 ounces and now it’s 20 ounces— with free refills to boot.

3. It was first sold in a hot dog cart.
Back in the day, your favorite hot dog was sold via a hot dog cart in front of a warehouse in San Diego, California. The very first hot dog cart operator was actually someone who still works at Costco: Jay de Geus. Don’t worry—he’s since been promoted and is currently Costco’s regional food-service supervisor. The cart was given to Costco by Hebrew National, the former supplier of the hot dog.

4. They made a brand switch.
Hebrew National was actually the supplier of the original foot cart and was the brand that original fans loved. But they closed down in 2009, so Costco had no choice but to make the switch. That’s when they started selling their own Kirkland brand dogs, and they haven’t looked back.

5. Your dog may be a little soggy.
If you’ve experienced an extra soggy Costco hot dog, you’re not imagining it. There’s a reason for the mush: Costco chefs steam the buns, which creates quite a bit of moisture when wrapped in the foil. Sorry not sorry— it’s what makes them unique!

6. They’re healthier than other fast food.
At such an attractive price, you’d think there were tons of gross chemicals and gunk in the dog. But no, each one is made with 100 percent beef—no by-products, corn syrup, phosphates, fillers, or artificial colors or flavors. (We can’t say the same about Burger King’s flame-grilled hot dogs.)

7. Japan makes the dogs differently.
You’ll only find Costco hot dogs made with beef in the US, but in Japan, they make them with pork. So if you’re craving a pork Costco hot dog, you’ll just have to travel the world.

8. They aren’t making money on them.
I mean, how can they at the price point, right? That’s not surprising, but the fun fact is that the combo deal is actually referred to as a “loss leader.” That means that even though Costco isn’t making money on them, enough people are attracted to the price to get their fix and then go shopping, and leave Costco way ahead of the game, even if they’re technically losing money on the hot dogs.

9. They sell an insane number a year.
100 million. Let us reiterate in pure freak-out fashion: One. Hundred. Million. Hot Dogs. Actually in 2015, they sold 128 million. That’s actually ridiculous. That’s four times what they sold at all the major league baseball stadiums combined!
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: What You Don’t Know About Costco’s $1 Hot Dogs

Post by Bsuds »

I cook them at home from frozen by putting them in my Instant pot for 7 min then a slow release and then onto the BBQ to finish.

Tastes way better than just steamed.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Usually do them on the bbq when I'm grilling veggies, corn, etc. but will use the panini grill if it's coleslaw on the side.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Costco's $1 Hot Dogs (Kirkland) use to be good years ago...…….something changed. We would buy them for home and all of a sudden something did not taste right. It could just be me and a few others but these wieners have 54% SODIUM. We now buy the Kirkland All-Beef (smaller) wieners that are about 27% Sodium.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

lesliepaul wrote:Costco's $1 Hot Dogs (Kirkland) use to be good years ago...…….something changed. We would buy them for home and all of a sudden something did not taste right. It could just be me and a few others but these wieners have 54% SODIUM. We now buy the Kirkland All-Beef (smaller) wieners that are about 27% Sodium.

I don't know if its true, just something I heard once. But apparently the hot dogs in Canada were changed some years ago, but the hot dogs in the US are still the same.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lesliepaul wrote: these wieners have 54% SODIUM.

That's 54% of the daily recommended amount of sodium not 54% sodium.

1800mgs of Sodium which would be closer to 100% for some. (like me)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Well knowing the Canadian recommended daily intake of sodium is actual 1,500mg.
(1,500mg is for healthy individuals ages 14 to 50)

Looking at the packaging of Kirkland Signature Beef Hot Dogs

Says 1 link = 530mg of sodium.... tells me whomever ate 1 (not including the sodium of bun & any of condiments) is 35.3% of ones daily intake of sodium.

As to compare 1 Big Mac = 950mg of sodium
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Well, for me, it wasn't a wasted day. I learned something new about something that tasted so good when I was a kid.

Maybe I will try them again.

Good post, OP
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:
Says 1 link = 530mg of sodium....

I think that is the smaller ones. The big ones are 1800 or so it says here.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calor ... -107596224

and then in another spot it says 1150mgs. (this one seems more like what I remember)
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Says 1 link = 530mg of sodium....

Bsuds wrote:I think that is the smaller ones. The big ones are 1800 or so it says here.

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calor ... -107596224

and then in another spot it says 1150mgs. (this one seems more like what I remember)

I picked first item here (had to use US site since Canadian one doesn't not break down to each food item):
https://www.costcobusinessdelivery.com/ ... links.html
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Hebrew National dogs were WAAAAAAY better. I don't really like the ones they have now. I always feel a bit queasy after eating the new ones.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”