Restaurants?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Restaurants?

Postby KelownaCrackinCrew » Sep 6th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Name your favorite restaurant for take out food, and let me know why. Looking for some options and opinions. I'm a big fan of Chinese food.
KelownaCrackinCrew
Fledgling

Liked in: 241 posts

Re: Restaurants?

Postby lesliepaul » Sep 6th, 2018, 11:47 pm

Peaceful Restaurant in Vancouver...……...they have about 6 restaurants there and the food is AMAZING. NOTHING in Kelowna comes close. MeiWei on the West side (next to Wendy's) is pretty good.

If you decide to make a "run" to Vancouver, let me know and I will place an order with you.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1134 posts

Postby Kelowna_Born » Sep 7th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Best in Kelowna is a little drive called. Imperial Banquet on Rutland Road. Best deal is Dinner for 3/4/5/6 or whatever. Food is made fresh to order. Best Wonton soup and Chicken Fried Rice I have ever had and that is just the starter!

There sit in is alot better then takeout, you get more, and deep-fry doesn't get all steamed up from being in a box.

clefairy41_ likes this post.
Kelowna_Born
Fledgling

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby Giardinera1 » Sep 7th, 2018, 1:32 pm

I'm Chinese - I wish we had good Dim Sum, but alas, all the 'Chinese' food here is pretty Gwai Lo.

My favourite restaurant is Wasabi. Japanese, not Chinese, but the ramen is incredible. I also am a huge fan of Bon Ga Korean Food in Glenmore.

2 people like this post.
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 7th, 2018, 1:52 pm

Giardinera1 wrote:I'm Chinese - I wish we had good Dim Sum, but alas, all the 'Chinese' food here is pretty Gwai Lo.

My favourite restaurant is Wasabi. Japanese, not Chinese, but the ramen is incredible. I also am a huge fan of Bon Ga Korean Food in Glenmore.

I have never tried that one yet. I have tried other Japanese places up and down Glenmore Rd. My favorite/go to place is VERY Canadian Chinese type food.....Wok out, next door to Bon Ga Korean.

For Japanese,......Yokahama's is the best that I found that is easy to get to.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4010 posts

Postby Symbonite » Sep 7th, 2018, 1:57 pm

88 Grand or Golden Chopsticks in West K
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 864 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 7th, 2018, 2:31 pm

The best Brazilian food in the Okanagan is in Vernon at Chili Beans.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11486 posts

Postby Giardinera1 » Sep 7th, 2018, 2:39 pm

Glacier wrote:The best Brazilian food in the Okanagan is in Vernon at Chili Beans.

There's Brazilian food in the Okanagan? Going there! Vernon has incredible restaurants, I think even better than Kelowna in the sense you can get really awesome food for a decent price. Bamboo Fusion and Naked Pig are favs.

Hardly go out anymore in Kelowna because I hate the pretension and ridiculous prices. Having worked as a food supplier and grower, I know the margins and can't stomach paying for ambiance. When we do go out, if it's not Wasabi, then I prefer to pack some beer in my bicycle bags and grab tacos from the north end trucks.

Glacier likes this post.
Giardinera1
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 7th, 2018, 3:15 pm

Giardinera1 wrote:There's Brazilian food in the Okanagan? Going there! Vernon has incredible restaurants, I think even better than Kelowna in the sense you can get really awesome food for a decent price. Bamboo Fusion and Naked Pig are favs.

Hardly go out anymore in Kelowna because I hate the pretension and ridiculous prices. Having worked as a food supplier and grower, I know the margins and can't stomach paying for ambiance. When we do go out, if it's not Wasabi, then I prefer to pack some beer in my bicycle bags and grab tacos from the north end trucks.

There's a really great Japanese restaurant in Lumby. Yuki Sushi. Very good prices. Also some good ones in Vernon such as Mahorobas.

Some other places I like in Vernon are the Los Huesos Mexican Restaurant (real Mexican food), Little Italy (real Italian pizza, though only open at lunch), the Fresh Lemongrass Vietnamese Restaurant (the best bang for your buck anywhere in town), the Station BBQ, and D J's Perogie Kitchen (best Ukrainian restaurant in town).
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

OKkayak likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11486 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 7th, 2018, 3:40 pm

Who would ever name their restaurant "YUKI Sushi"?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

vegas1500 likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4010 posts

Postby OKkayak » Sep 7th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Glacier wrote:The best Brazilian food in the Okanagan is in Vernon at Chili Beans.

I drove by there a few times, was curious. Sounds like I’m gonna have to give it a try. Thanks for the tip :up:
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2153 posts

Postby TimmyE » Sep 7th, 2018, 4:21 pm

In my mind, I would take Asian Pear over 88 Grand Buffet.
TimmyE
Board Meister

Liked in: 160 posts

Postby Merry » Sep 7th, 2018, 4:43 pm

The Fairways Bistro in the Royal York Clubhouse (Armstrong Golf course) serves great Fish and Chips. They have a special on Friday lunchtime - 2 piece Fish and chips or Fish and Salad for $10.95. The batter is nice and light, and the chips are homemade. Delicious.

My other favourite fish and chip stop is the one in Enderby (right next to the liquor store). But I forget the name. It has a sign outside saying "Best fish and chips in BC" or something similar, and they really are that good. The place is very basic, not much ambiance (if any), but the food is really good.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

2 people like this post.
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 6578 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 7th, 2018, 4:51 pm

lesliepaul wrote:Peaceful Restaurant in Vancouver...……...they have about 6 restaurants there and the food is AMAZING. NOTHING in Kelowna comes close. MeiWei on the West side (next to Wendy's) is pretty good.

If you decide to make a "run" to Vancouver, let me know and I will place an order with you.

Over the years I've tried pretty well all of Chinese food restaurants in central okanagan. The best one no longer exists... Chinese Laundry in Peachland, the closest to that would be MeiWei.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8448 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby LANDM » Sep 7th, 2018, 8:03 pm

lesliepaul wrote:Peaceful Restaurant in Vancouver...……...they have about 6 restaurants there and the food is AMAZING. NOTHING in Kelowna comes close. MeiWei on the West side (next to Wendy's) is pretty good.

I agree. What’s your favourite dish there? I like the cumin lamb. Also the xio ling bao (I guarantee my spelling is wrong on that). Both types of noodles are great and so fresh.

:up:
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3927 posts

Next

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts