Netflix and chill no more - streaming is getting complicated

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.

Netflix and chill no more - streaming is getting complicated

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 6th, 2019, 6:13 am

How many individual streaming services are people willing to sign up for?

Disney and WarnerMedia are each launching their own streaming services in 2019 in a challenge to Netflix's dominance. Netflix viewers will no longer be able to watch hit movies such as "Black Panther" or "Moana," which will soon reside on Disney's subscription service. WarnerMedia, a unit of AT&T, will also soon have its own service to showcase its library of blockbuster films and HBO series.

Families will have to decide between paying more each month or losing access to some of their favourite dramas, comedies, musicals and action flicks.

But a multiplicity of streaming services could easily overwhelm or confuse consumers. To get a full slate of programming, TV watchers may soon have to subscribe to several services instead of just one or two.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... spartandhp
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Jan 6th, 2019, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6974 posts

Re: Netflix and chill no more - streaming is getting complic

Postby Gilchy » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:04 am

Remember when we all naively believed that “cutting the cord” would save us money?

3 people like this post.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 667 posts

Postby Bsuds » Jan 6th, 2019, 9:12 am

The annoying thing about Netflix is the time it takes to find something we want to watch.
It is great when you do cause you can binge watch with no commercials.
My Wife gives me very sound advice...99% sound and 1% advice!

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12139 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 6th, 2019, 10:19 am

I agree there is so much more to Netflix than i'll ever know, i find most my stuff by accident.
Currently have Netflix/Amazon Prime (mostly for the shipping but have found a few good series)

2 people like this post.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2118 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 6th, 2019, 11:42 am

At least with VHS/DVD, you only had to worry about how many membership cards you had in your pocket [icon_lol2.gif]

It'll be a shame if Netflix loses the Marvel movies. If one of the other providers offers something better, then I'll switch but I won't be getting a second subscription to another service. I'd much rather go out to the movies more often in that case.

SuperMom likes this post.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2153 posts

Postby JLives » Jan 6th, 2019, 11:51 am

That's just going to incentivize the black market. People have gotten used to immediate access to anything they would like to watch. The more complicated it gets, the less people will want to pay for it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

3 people like this post.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6136 posts

Postby Loki2u » Jan 6th, 2019, 3:23 pm

In a way.....we will be getting exactly what we want.

How many times over the years have we complained about cable packages and paying $100/mo and don't even watch half the channels?

$10-15 per streaming service to get exactly what we want should come out cheaper for those who enjoy their tv.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

2 people like this post.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Liked in: 440 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 6th, 2019, 5:12 pm

That is exactly what I'm doing right now. Never paid for cable, never have. When Netflix came it was like, "the dream" I had for years. Affordable and easy. Love it.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14335 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 7th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Loki2u wrote:In a way.....we will be getting exactly what we want.

How many times over the years have we complained about cable packages and paying $100/mo and don't even watch half the channels?

$10-15 per streaming service to get exactly what we want should come out cheaper for those who enjoy their tv.

But then you're back to a hundred bucks a month after you get all the streaming services you want, because Brand A has these movies/shows and Brand B has those movies/shows, etc. And you'll only be watching half of their respective content. Soon they'll be adding "premium" content for a "premium" fee but mask it as you "best value" because the one movie/show you really want to watch it will only be accessible there.

Merry likes this post.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Loki2u » Jan 7th, 2019, 6:54 pm

OKkayak wrote:But then you're back to a hundred bucks a month after you get all the streaming services you want, because Brand A has these movies/shows and Brand B has those movies/shows, etc. And you'll only be watching half of their respective content. Soon they'll be adding "premium" content for a "premium" fee but mask it as you "best value" because the one movie/show you really want to watch it will only be accessible there.

Then the best AND cheapest solution would be to stop watching tv. :up:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

Gisley likes this post.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Postby TylerM4 » Jan 8th, 2019, 9:39 am

The phrase "Netflix and chill" is so overused. I sometimes wonder if people understand the origins of that phrase and what it means. Doesn't seem to have any relevance to this thread for example.

Regarding additional streaming services/options: Cable companies have been seeing huge trends downward for the last decade, while companies like NetFlix are making a killing. It's only logical that other companies will jump on the bandwagon. What surprises me more is that some of these companies are trying to break into the market with the same old same old. Anyone trying to compete with Netflix had better bring something new to the table to attract customers or they won't be successful. Many companies have learnt this the hard way. Disney may be successful simply because they own so much content and the vast majority of that content is family friendly. I could see parents of young children subscribing to this service for the kids play room sort of thing.

I'll share my billion dollar idea - let's be honest, I'll never move on it:
If I was to advise a company like Disney, I'd tell them that creating their own streaming service isn't the best idea. They're too late to the game and will not be able to compete against the established players like Netflix, Prime TV, Apple TV, etc. What they bring to the table isn't a new or improved streaming service - they bring new content. There is strong demand for new content - that's the biggest complaint from customers of existing streaming services. But nobody wants to deal with the hassle of multiple bills, multiple apps/devices, etc as indicated by this thread. So rather than offering a steaming service that's no better than any other streaming service, offer what customers really want - additional content. They could partner with the established companies and offer a content plug-in service. Basically the idea being "For an extra $5/month, we'll make all of this Disney content available through your existing Netflix (or whatever) streaming service."

3 people like this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1249 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 8th, 2019, 3:37 pm

Loki2u wrote:Then the best AND cheapest solution would be to stop watching tv. :up:

And how exactly is that a solution?

Netflix was an actual solution, there was a problem, and they created an attractive alternative.
OKkayak
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby JayByrd » Jan 8th, 2019, 7:25 pm

Loki2u wrote:
Then the best AND cheapest solution would be to stop watching tv. :up:

You've also just solved the issue of high gas prices and property taxes!
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1526 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 9th, 2019, 7:44 am

OKkayak wrote:
Loki2u wrote:Then the best AND cheapest solution would be to stop watching tv. :up:

And how exactly is that a solution?

Netflix was an actual solution, there was a problem, and they created an attractive alternative.

They surely did.

Loki2u, haven't you tried it yet?
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14335 posts

Postby Loki2u » Jan 9th, 2019, 10:55 pm

Queen K wrote:
They surely did.

Loki2u, haven't you tried it yet?

Oh ya....I've had Netflix and Prime for a while now as well as a full cable package.

I watched Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime....that's all I've watched on their since I've had it. I just got the prime for the free shipping and could care less if I had this or not.

Netflix gets used often but primarily in the winter time.

Cable I'm probably going to pull the plug on because I only watch hockey on there. I've just been lazy and can live stream the games online.

Once May comes around I'm camping and fishing pretty much everyday until the lakes freeze over again and there is way better things to do during that time than watching tv. :130:

3 people like this post.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Next

Return to Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts