Perkins closed. All Places "breakfast."

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Perkins closed. All Places "breakfast."

Post by Gilchy »

Breakfast diners have a tough business model, where they mostly serve basic food, and little booze, so profit margins are low.

The old adage: "How do you wind up with a few hundred thousand in the restaurant business? Start with a few million" continues to be true.

MTL by the landmark buildings has a pretty good breakfast menu, and you can get smoked meat on everything...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Gilchy wrote:Breakfast diners have a tough business model, where they mostly serve basic food, and little booze, so profit margins are low.

The old adage: "How do you wind up with a few hundred thousand in the restaurant business? Start with a few million" continues to be true.

MTL by the landmark buildings has a pretty good breakfast menu, and you can get smoked meat on everything...

I agree with your old adage, there are a few others that also apply. Location, location, location, and the big $bucks$ are in the booze.
A restaurant that relies upon a breakfast of good value, while paying a very high rent, combined with all the competition that has moved into the neighbourhood over the last years and cutting into their sales......well, the writing is on the wall.
They had a good run, and I feel sorry for any longtime business that is forced out of their market. That is the times that we now live in, get used to it, more will follow, and I don't mean just restaurants.

I expect that niche markets like, skateboard shops, and shopping malls will eventually die out and just become a fad of the past. Just like Laundromats, VHS rentals (like Blockbuster), Radio Shack, Tandy Leather, drive-in theaters, and CB radios have done in the past.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

t76turbo wrote:
Queen K wrote:I actually worked at The Husky once. Worst waitress ever. :up: Sorry if you were at my section. :138:

No bad experiences there, maybe I gave ya a rough time, was barely 18 then, still wet behind the ears!

And then there was the shell gas station next to Golf course at 97 and 33. Done lots of early morning coffee there.

You talking about Lena's?

Had many a breakfast in there.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Tootsie
Board Meister

Post by Tootsie »

RE: Iwill look for Beet N Boos. Never heard of them. Always nice to try somewhere ne
W
Didn't know they did breakfast. Nice to know. Have always gone for lunch. OMG their Thai Coconut soup is TO DIE FOR !!!!!!
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 5th, 2019, 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Color corrected
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Gilchy wrote:Breakfast diners have a tough business model, where they mostly serve basic food, and little booze, so profit margins are low.

*cough cough* Mimosa's :130: :biggrin:
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Tootsie wrote:RE: I will look for Beet N Boos. Never heard of them. Always nice to try somewhere new

Didn't know they did breakfast. Nice to know. Have always gone for lunch. OMG their Thai Coconut soup is TO DIE FOR !!!!!!

Capture.JPG

https://www.beetnboos.com/food

Capture2.JPG
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 5th, 2019, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Color correction
Bring back the LIKE button.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

so sad when I have a break I am checking menus in town to find potato pancakes. Not those gross hasbrowns formed into " patties"
I will suggest we try White Spot
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Country plough boy
Übergod

Post by Country plough boy »

normaM wrote:so sad when I have a break I am checking menus in town to find potato pancakes. Not those gross hasbrowns formed into " patties"
I will suggest we try White Spot

It will never be as good as Perkins
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here are 2 places that served good food at very reasonable price, both are no longer around.

1 downtown Cafe Soleil (former Lena's)
1 Uptown McLean's (Alex & his Wife were wonderful people)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I have a friend who went here with her family https://okanaganstreetfood.com/restaurant/ and they raved about how good the food was.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Country plough boy
Übergod

Lady tehMa wrote:I have a friend who went here with her family https://okanaganstreetfood.com/restaurant/ and they raved about how good the food was.

I work in the same building as this place quite often. Helped on the reno even. Never have eaten his food. I will have to try
Country plough boy
Übergod

Tried the specialty bakery buffet just now. It is good. Not perkins good . Good enuff. Ill be eating it again
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

What about Barb's Delights in Blue Heights? Heard mostly good things but have never tried it.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”