The Winem "Nickle Piece Of Candy"

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

The Winem "Nickle Piece Of Candy"

Post by occasional thoughts »

Google never ceases to amaze me. I heard an obscure Glen Campbell once, about 25 years ago; did a shot-in-the-dark search on the weekend and there it was in, what, 2 seconds?

So on a roll, I thought I'd enquire of a song I thought I heard in Vancouver in the 1960s, once, maybe twice; it got a bit of airplay but it wasn't a hit. Nothing on YouTube.

The group: The Winmen; the song/record: A Nickle Piece of Candy. The announcer mentioned the group was from Winfield, which I'd really never heard of at the time. I've always wondered about the personnel and if they're still around.

Turns out ala Google that Jim Reeves also recorded the song. Did he cover the Okanagan's Winmen? All to be wondered at and hopefully discovered.

Anyone know anything?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: The Winem "Nickle Piece Of Candy"

Post by Bsuds »

occasional thoughts wrote:Anyone know anything?

Sorry nope but there's always 1 who thinks he does. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Found this bit of info on the group and song. They recorded the song in 1964 - Jim Reeves recorded it in 1965.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Winmen-A-Ni ... ter/446841
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I found this............ https://www.lakecountrymuseum.com/our-c ... he-winmen/

Seems the former Calendar owner was involved.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

WOW! All that information and a fascinating tory just sitting out there in a local newspaper article from not long ago. Alas, I lived in West Kelowna so I would never have had the opportunity to chance on it and read it. Thank you Urban Cowboy.

So the Winmen were really from Winfield (and environs). Every community should make the effort to preserve their cultural history; and for me and my taste, their rock'n'roll heritage.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”