Proposal: Public "Fan Funding" to Keep Soft 1039 On-Air

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
OffRoad
Übergod

Re: Proposal: Public "Fan Funding" to Keep Soft 1039 On-Air

Post by OffRoad »

BrianE wrote:The March 31/20 announcement that Soft 103.9 radio in Kelowna will be closing its doors is most regrettable. Frankly, it should be considered an essential service right now.

During the current coronavirus pandemic, the station's music and information format is important for purposes of mental health. Furthermore, the LOCAL newscasts, furnished through Castanet, are essential to help listeners stay updated on the impact of the pandemic on the Central Okanagan.

Is it feasible that the listeners and sponsors, both present and past, can donate adequate funding to keep the station operating? At least during the interim, if the station's management is agreeable, it could possibly operate through public "fan funding."

For my wife and I, in the 60 to 70 age range, this has largely been the station-of-choice, especially when mobile in our vehicles. It's also streamed over the internet for periods at home. When it came on air, we in effect set the frequency and threw away the tuning knob.

In a Castanet article of December 6/19, it was reported that Soft 103.9 was ranked sixth (of 10 stations) by the ratings service "Numeris" in the broad listening audience aged 12 and up (see: https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/272124/Latest-ratings-for-Kelowna-radio-stations-from-Numeris). That ranking showed an 8 per cent market share of those listening to radio (highest for other stations was 17.5%, lowest was 4.4%).

The Central Okanagan is a very competitive radio market but I like to think that Soft 103.9 is surely garnering a more mature market segment, quite different from the audience listening to the other five higher-ranked radio stations. We understand that the station's intent was to serve an older population; listeners who are actually more affluent.

We'll certainly consider a monthly donation from our household budget to keep this radio station operating for now. In the Central Okanagan there are 27,263 persons aged 60 to 69 (14,245 aged 60 to 64 + 13,018 aged 65 to 69) according to the last Statistics Canada Census of 2016 (https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/prof/details/page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CMACA&Code1=915&Geo2=PR&Code2=47&Data=Count&SearchText=Kelowna&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=All).

Even a $20/month donation by 27,263 fans of Soft 103.9 would total $545,260 per month. At only half that with just 13,631 fans donating at $20/month that's $272,630.

Might the station try a telethon to gauge support, especially promoting monthly donations perhaps for a 6 month period?

Possibly, Canada's broadcast regulator, the CRTC, would welcome an innovative community approach to keeping a commercial radio station operating through the tough financial challenges of the pandemic.

What do you think, "mature residents" of the Central Okanagan, about financially supporting a broadcast radio station that serves your interests and needs?

Brian E., West Kelowna

I think your math or your assumptions are off. If there there are 27263 persons aged 60 to 69 then there are only 2181 "fans" according to your 8% market share number. That makes only $43620.80 at $20 per month.

Also, would you and your wife pay $40 per month for both of you to listen? I don't know anyone personally that would pay $20 per month to listen to an OTA radio station.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”