No more Ragu

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

No more Ragu

Post by oneh2obabe »

Nothing beats homemade but Ragu was one of the top selling brands for those who don't have time or just plain don't like cooking.

There is one less pasta sauce on the market in Canada and consumers are not happy about it.

Popular pasta brand sauce Ragu said it is no longer selling products in the country.

“We regret to inform you that Ragu has made the hard decision to exit the Canadian pasta-sauce market. We hope that you have enjoyed the delicious taste of Ragu and are very sorry for any inconvenience,” the company’s Twitter account wrote when a customer asked “what happened to you in Canada?” as they couldn’t find their sauce in the grocery store.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7288327/ragu ... ce-canada/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: No more Ragu

Post by Catsumi »

So that's why no Ragu on shelves

Well, guess I have to make from scratch. Several recipes available online but here's one that looks ok:

https://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/copy ... sta-sauce/
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Just made 2 batches of homemade sauce tonight ... 1 meat w/meatballs and 1 veggie. Friend asked if I could make up some dinners for him and his 99 year old mother. So far tonight I've done the 2 batches of spaghetti sauce, 2 meat loafs, 2 foil containers of Witches Brew (aka Texas Hash), 2 foil containers of Shepherd's Pie, 1 large freezer bag of homemade chicken fingers (24 pieces), and 2 foil containers Salisbury Steak. Have a club size package of chicken breasts defrosting then I'll make 4 pieces of Cordon Bleu w/cheese and broccoli and 1 or 2 containers of chicken breasts in mushroom gravy then use what's left for individual chicken pot pies. Each container will have printed instructions for cooking - thawed (if he remembers to take it out of the freezer) and from frozen.

Have some peaches in the fridge along with 3 containers of blueberries plus 2 different types of apples so it'll be a few smaller containers of peach/blueberry crisp and some apple crisp. Might even have enough energy to make some mini hand-held apple pies and different types of mini muffins so she can have her nightly treat with tea.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Well that just sucks!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I've always preferred Classico so doesn't bother me. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I like Ragu but we usually buy from Costco which is Prego in the large containers.

It's the base for our sauce and we add quite a bit of different spices etc to get it where we like it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

They were talking about the disappearance of Ragu on the radio yesterday. I laughed at one commenter who said he wouldn't miss it because it was "the Mr. Noodles of spaghetti sauce".
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Check a few top grocery brand pasta sauce, 1 that kept showing up top 3 was this one.
Rao's Homemade

I have no idea if it’s sold in Canada or not.

I don’t buy a lot of pasta or pasta sauce.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Doesn't look like Rao's is sold in stores here but you can buy it online for $12.99+ per jar depending on which type of sauce you want.

OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

It's too bad for those on a budget, as Ragu was one of the cheapest brands.

But yeah, a Classico guy here myself.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”