Fermenting Food

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Fermenting Food

Post by Lady tehMa »

It's a trend now - fermenting your own food. I bought some stuff to do it with and tried it last year, it was pretty good. Then I forgot about it until someone was raving about their fermented sour pickles.

I've got 4 jars started now, we'll see what I have in two weeks.

I did beet pickles last year, they were pretty good. And kimchi. I'm going to have to be a bit more careful this year since I'm eating low carb.

What have you fermented, did you like it?
I haven't failed until I quit.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Re: Fermenting Food

Post by TylerM4 »

I've fermented grape juice. Didn't come out like I had hoped. :130:

Never did acquire a taste for fermented veggies.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Used to do huge batches of sauerkraut when the kids were around ... now it's cheaper for me to buy a jar. Have a container of sourdough starter on hand at all times.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote:I've fermented grape juice. Didn't come out like I had hoped. :130:

Never did acquire a taste for fermented veggies.

Me either other than sauerkraut. All my fermenting is out in the compost bin. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I used to ferment cabbage in a 2 gal. crock pot, I would eat whatever I could over 6 months. The balance was portioned off and other flavours were added like; Jalapeños, red hot chili peppers, or some other strong flavored veggy, or just plain, before jarring it and water boiling it.

Fermenting veggies is very close to pickling ......with the ability to add flavors later.
Bring back the LIKE button.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”