Why Boomers Hate Pop Music

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Why Boomers Hate Pop Music

Post by Glacier »

In summary, it's too artificial and repetitive, lacking variation within each song and between each song.

"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why Boomers Hate Pop Music

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I wouldn’t say I hate pop music, I just don’t own any or listen to it. There is only 1 country singer I have and listen to and that is Johnny Cash, I again don’t hate country music. Johnny is only country music I plan on owning.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Glacier wrote:In summary, it's too artificial and repetitive, lacking variation within each song and between each song.

I'm not a Boomer, and I do enjoy pop.

But I don't love it.

It won't be something I revisit time and time again. It's more like "oh yeah, there's that song" which I immediately forget after hearing because it is rather generic.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

As if The Beatles "She loves me yeah yeah yeah" isn't repetitive. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Urban Cowboy wrote:As if The Beatles "She loves me yeah yeah yeah" isn't repetitive. [icon_lol2.gif]

True, but I'm not a fan of the Beatles.

Everyone has their favourites. Boston, Journey, Linkin Park, 3 Doors Down, Fall-Out Boy. I also really enjoy Pentatonix for their covers of excellent songs (and some not so excellent, but I don't relisten to those) and their original works.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

It's all about subsistence. Most pop music and music, in general, these days have no real meaning. These are singers singing a song they never wrote, on a track they never invented about anything they have experienced so it lacks real emotion. Its just a gimmick to sell something. Yes, it may be catchy sounding but if the lyrics sound like a 10 year wrote it then it loses its appeal pretty quick. And from what I've heard some music coming out can't even carry a proper beat. (ie post Malone) This is why artists fade away that were once HUGE. Look at the boy/girl bands of the early 2000's. Brittany Spears, Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Destinys Child etc. They are all has-beens in less than a decade of coming out. Whereas bands/artists like Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, Queen, Journey, Avenged Sevenfold, System of A Down, Eminem, Wu-Tang, etc are still played to this day even though they haven't released any new songs for years.

Remember when you would first listen to a song and it gives you goosebumps because you can literally FEEL the emotion the band/artist is trying to show. And it still gives you goosebumps to this day. I never got that feeling with POP/electronic music simply because it is created by a machine and written by a team of people just trying to come up with the latest hook.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Urban Cowboy wrote:As if The Beatles "She loves me yeah yeah yeah" isn't repetitive. [icon_lol2.gif]

Yeah, but at least the song was written by 2 members of the band, not an army of talentless hacks that fiddle around with a computer all day to try and artificially produce what they don't have due to their lack of talent.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

You might be surprised at just how many talented song writers Canada has, in many cases the artist doing most if not all of their album.

I listen mostly to Modern Country and just off the top of my head we have, Kira Isabella, Jess Moskaluke, Tenille Arts, Madeline Merlot, Lindsey Ell, and Meghan Patrick all making waves of late, and not just here in Canada but down south as well for many of them. Another favorite of mine is Keith Urban who is an awesome guitarist and song writer from Australia. He gave the biggest bang for the ticket price of any concert I've ever been to when he was at Rogers Arena in Vancouver. The guy played a solid two hour set and never left the stage once.

I guess my tastes differ from other boomers.

I still listen to a fair bit of older rock such as Journey, Eagles, Aerosmith, Doobie Brothers, Heart, Bon Jovi, and such, but most of those don't put out much in the way of new stuff, and I don't care for current rock bands.

The reason I enjoy the Country is because I can hear and make out the lyrics, something I can't say for a lot of other stuff.

I need to be able to relate to the lyrics.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Don't mock the Queen Bee or the Hive will come after you :)
Yea, it's like when people are disgusted with Rap, yet Eric Clapton had a huge hit with Cocaine
What was that oft repeated chorus? oh yea, Cocaine

Edit to add - Beyonce is the Queen B
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lol. U guys trying to get all scientific on this.

Every generation has hated the next generation's music. It comes down to simple tastes and preferences. All this article does is highlight the differences in music between the generations.

They don't like it because it's different that's the real reason as simple as it is.
OldBlindDog
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by OldBlindDog »

Pop music is lowest common denominator pap, and always has been.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

OldBlindDog wrote:Pop music is lowest common denominator pap, and always has been.

...and then there is rap and hip hop.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

gardengirl wrote:
OldBlindDog wrote:Pop music is lowest common denominator pap, and always has been.

...and then there is rap and hip hop.

That ain't music period. :-X
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

Modern pop music sucks.. All the really good new music is non-commercial and found hiding on YouTube..

Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”