Shopping for groceries from home

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Shopping for groceries from home

Post by Lady tehMa »

So, what was a niche market has kind of exploded recently.

I knew a number of grocery stores were doing it. Then oneH2Obabe told us about InstaCart.

And today I discovered someone who wants to take out the middleman - Sysco.

Seriously! https://kelowna.syscoathome.com/collections/frozen-beef-delivery-kelowna

What do you think of that?
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Shopping for groceries from home

Post by oneh2obabe »

Sysco has offered consumer online grocery shopping for a while now - was pickup only but now they've branched out to home delivery in K'town.

I've done online for cat food (canned and kibble) and dog food before he went to the Rainbow Bridge, large size containers of spices and seeds that you can't get in store, and some paper products that are easier to order and have shipped with whatever else I've order. I refuse to purchase meat, fruit or produce online. I'd rather pick 'n choose myself.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We have had some of their steaks and were not impressed with the quality. Certainly not for the prices they charge.

They also came frozen in a package of 4 which made it difficult to split into smaller portions.

I prefer buying a whole Sirloin at Costco and cutting my own. Even with the extra fat you are getting a much better price.

I did a comparison as to the whole sirloin and packages of steaks and they worked out to about the same price after taking off the fat, so you can save the work and buy the steaks already cut.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Have been buying directly from Sysco for years through our partnership with their company.

My experience has been that every product has it's own story. I have (and continue to buy) products that I absolutely love and are a great deal. I've bought other products that I've regretted purchasing. Overall I find that their prices are about the same as grocery store sale prices, but you get a little better quality.

Some of the products I recommend:
- Their regular bacon at $11/KG. Price isn't much better than grocery store but the quality is much better.
- Pub style chicken strips. Again - price isn't much better but way better quality.
- Pork ribs
- Frozen chicken - Price the same but WAY less water weight so better value overall.

Some of the products I recommend you avoid:
- Bit sized cheesecake variety. Very expensive for what you get, didn't enjoy the product.
- Charcutier mix/platter. Disappointed at how little I received tho the products were great. Should have went to a butcher.

They have great deals on things like ginger beer and sweet N sour pork but you need to buy a 4KG box. Works out great if you can split with another family.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”