Bread Making

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
alanjh595
Banned

Bread Making

Post by alanjh595 »

As in my other topic of "Cooking for the Single Male", I have taken on making bread at home. I have had limited success and a few failures. My last batch of Cheese bread sticks are okay, but not as good as what I want.

I would like to hear from others that have more experience in this area and learn how I can improve.

I researched a couple of YouTube videos that may help me with my next attempt.

I have learned that the "Expiry Date" on the yeast package is important, (my 1st try was using yeast from 2018), I figured since it bubbled up in the warm water, it was okay......apparently not.

Is there an expiry date on "Best for Bread Flour"? I know that the stuff I am using is at least 5 years old.

Is "Best for Bread Flour" better than All-Purpose?

Should I use oil or melted butter? Is unsalted butter better? (I know that salt kills the yeast).

Should I use milk or water for better results? Does homogenized milk make a difference?

Please keep in mind, that my goal is to make Bread Stix of different kinds and maybe a single loaf once every couple of months.
I would like to try making a French baguette, Italian loaf, and maybe something else interesting as I get better.
I knew I should have payed closer attention when Mom was around, but she didn't use one of these big fancy mixers with a dough hook either.
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Bread Making

Post by oneh2obabe »

alanjh595 wrote:I have learned that the "Expiry Date" on the yeast package is important, (my 1st try was using yeast from 2018), I figured since it bubbled up in the warm water, it was okay......apparently not.
To see if the yeast is active add 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2-1/4 teaspoons of yeast (one envelope) to 1/4 cup of warm water then wait 10 minutes. If the mixture bubbles and develops a yeasty aroma, the yeast is still good. Want to store yeast longer? Stick it in the freezer, and it will stay fresh for years.
alanjh595 wrote:Is there an expiry date on "Best for Bread Flour"? I know that the stuff I am using is at least 5 years old.
Flours usually are good for 6-8 months after opening if kept if a cool, dry place. You can also store flour in the freezer (prevents weevils) and take out as much as you need an hour or two beforehand.
alanjh595 wrote:Is "Best for Bread Flour" better than All-Purpose?
Depends on what the recipe calls for. In some recipes you can substitute one flour for another with no problem. Some recipes specify which to use - you use that one.
alanjh595 wrote:Should I use oil or melted butter? Is unsalted butter better? (I know that salt kills the yeast).

Use what the recipe calls for. Some call for melted butter, some call for a flavourless oil. You can use either salted or unsalted butter. If you're using SAF, instant or dry active yeast you don't have to worry about salt killing it. You need salt for flavour, dough strength, and to control the rate of yeast fermentation.
alanjh595 wrote:Should I use milk or water for better results? Does homogenized milk make a difference?
Again, use what the recipe calls for. Most bread recipes call for flour, yeast, salt, and water. Some call for milk or milk powder which enhances the dough making for a softer load and adds flavour to the loaf as well as helping to develop a nice, golden brown crust.
alanjh595 wrote:Please keep in mind, that my goal is to make Bread Stix of different kinds and maybe a single loaf once every couple of months. I would like to try making a French baguette, Italian loaf, and maybe something else interesting as I get better.
If you want to see how different types of breads/buns/rolls are made, check out some of John Kirkwood's bread videos. Very easy to follow.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Thanks for the reply, I think it is time for me to dump all the old flour that I have.

The yeast that I used in the first 2 trys was way outdated, but it did still "bloom". I think that it may have died too quickly after putting it in the mix. I had better luck with the fresh stuff.

For the cost of a 3 pk of yeast, I think I will just replace it.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

OMG. It bleeped h.o.m.o. Talk about phobic. Yes, I know the bot doesn't know the difference but it's still kinda sad.

i fixed it, “homogenized”. Catsumi
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I have had mixed success making my own bread so I will be watching this with interest.

I bought a Kitchenaid stand mixer a couple months ago and it's great. I love making bread mainly because I love to eat it.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

mexi cali wrote:OMG. It bleeped h.o.m.o. Talk about phobic. Yes, I know the bot doesn't know the difference but it's still kinda sad.
AND extremely funny at the same time. :130: Good catch.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

mexi cali wrote:I have had mixed success making my own bread so I will be watching this with interest.

I bought a Kitchenaid stand mixer a couple months ago and it's great. I love making bread mainly because I love to eat it.
I like to have the control over the size.
2 slices of store bought, pre-sliced bread is too much, they just dry out and are more like "crouton" consistency, and slice #2 gets cold while eating #1.
With a home made loaf, I can decide on the thickness depending upon what I feel I can eat on that day. A slightly thicker slice, toasted, is great for putting a couple of my new found love for poached eggs on. (not too much egg, no excess toast).
Homemade tastes so much better than store bought.

I know that it is time consuming, but it makes consuming that much better.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Just because a recipe says to proof the dough for 45, 60 or 90 minutes it's not written in stone. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen and the hydration of the flour it could take more or less time. Once you gain more experience working with doughs you'll know when it's ready to punch down, form into buns, baquettes or a loaf and set aside for the 2nd proof. If you keep your kitchen on the cooler side, use the oven to proof - turn the oven light on for 15-20 minutes to warm up the oven then turn off or you can keep the oven light on but keep checking how warm the oven gets.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:Just because a recipe says to proof the dough for 45, 60 or 90 minutes it's not written in stone. Depending on the temperature of your kitchen and the hydration of the flour it could take more or less time. Once you gain more experience working with doughs you'll know when it's ready to punch down, form into buns, baquettes or a loaf and set aside for the 2nd proof. If you keep your kitchen on the cooler side, use the oven to proof - turn the oven light on for 15-20 minutes to warm up the oven then turn off or you can keep the oven light on but keep checking how warm the oven gets.
Lots of ovens now have a proof setting.

Gotta start making fresh bread again!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Bsuds wrote:Lots of ovens now have a proof setting.

Gotta start making fresh bread again!
I know but we don't want to overload him at one time ... baby steps until he gets the hang of it.

Fresh bread is awesome ... only way I can get proper rye with caraway is make it. Sorry, but what they call rye bread here is nothing more than white flour with some rye flour added for flavour and a bit of molasses to colour it.

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I have a "Proof" setting..

I am done for tonight, but I really do appreciate all the advice and help.

I will keep you informed as to how I do.

THANK YOU....

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”