Red River Cereal. Its gone.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Red River Cereal. Its gone.

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Its history.
No longer produced.

For the past few weeks I've been looking to buy another box, but to no avail.
So today I went online. Smuckers owned it and its now discontinued.

It was one of our favourite breakfasts, mixed with Cream of Wheat. Now to find a similar alternative.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Red River Cereal. Its gone.

Post by oneh2obabe »

Apparently Sunny Boy Foods has a product similar to Red River. Check Nature's Fare and see if they have it in stock. Organic Sunny Boy Hot Cereal is a combination of wheat, rye and flax - same ingrediens that were in Red River.

https://sunnyboyfoods.com/products
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I’ve been adding flax to my oatmeal for years.
Back as kid, my parents would get number breakfast cereals from Rogers mill in Armstrong (all in 50 lbs bags).
Rolled Oats
Rolled Barley
Rolled Wheat
Rolled Rye
not all at same time.
I have no idea if they still have outlet store.

As for Red River Cereal, that’s what happens when bought up by multinational.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

At some point in the past few years, they had changed the formulation, it became gelatinous. So we had switched to Cream of Wheat. We've been carb free for about a year and a half, maybe 2 years now so it definitely happened before that. Possibly when they got bought out?
I haven't failed until I quit.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I remember as a child, I was hospitalized for a week. While there I was served what I thought was a HORRIBLE tasting porridge type breakfast, it made quite an impact. I was about 6 years old.

At a follow-up appointment at the doctor's office some weeks after my discharge, my mom and I discussed my hospital stay with the doctor.

The topic came up, (I guess) "what was the worst part of your hospital stay ?" and I said the breakfast cereal.

The doctor asked if I knew the name. I said " 'Blue Lake' cereal".

The doctor had a puzzled look on his face for a few seconds and then smiled, and said "oh,,, you mean 'Red River' cereal". I remember my mom and the doctor having quite a chuckle.

After that I never have had the urge to try Red River, or Blue Lake cereal. So not one who will be missing it.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

^^^
A classic case of childhood PTSD.
Unfortunately hospitals today would never serve such nutritious food.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
zookeeper
Walks on Forum Water

Post by zookeeper »

Lady tehMa wrote:At some point in the past few years, they had changed the formulation, it became gelatinous. So we had switched to Cream of Wheat. We've been carb free for about a year and a half, maybe 2 years now so it definitely happened before that. Possibly when they got bought out?
Interesting you say that, my family enjoyed a bowl every once in a while, after a while I thought I was making it wrong, or it was too old from the box!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Kinda hard to screw up the recipe:
Cracked Wheat
Rye (Haha not the alcohol) grain
Brown Flax
Golden Flax
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Red River Cereal is a cereal made with a blend of cracked wheat, cracked rye, and whole and cracked brown flax seeds that were first created in 1924 in Manitoba Canada. You can use either brown or golden flaxseeds or a combination if making the copycat recipe.

Red River Copycat Hot Cereal Mix
2 tablespoons brown flax seeds
2 tablespoons golden flax seeds
2 cups cracked wheat
2 cups cracked rye or rye meal

Combine ingredients in a bowl then transfer to an airtight container or "Ziploc"-type plastic bag.

To prepare: For 2 servings, place 1-1/2 cups filtered water, 1/2 cup Red River Copycat Hot Cereal Mix and 1/4 teaspoon salt (the salt is optional) in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil; stirring occasionally. Reduce to a gentle boil and cook 5 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. After cooking is complete, remove sauce pan from stove top and cover. Set aside for a few minutes.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

oneh2obabe wrote:Apparently Sunny Boy Foods has a product similar to Red River. Check Nature's Fare and see if they have it in stock. Organic Sunny Boy Hot Cereal is a combination of wheat, rye and flax - same ingrediens that were in Red River.

https://sunnyboyfoods.com/products
We tried Nature's Fare today. No luck. They don't carry it but have had a number of requests for Sunny Boy products.
It appears no one in Kamloops carried their products.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Strange ... Sunny Boy Foods listed the Kamloops store on their web site as a place to purchase their products.

Amazon carries it but a 907g bag is $19.99.
https://www.amazon.ca/Sunny-Boy-Origina ... 502&sr=8-1

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

We found a more than suitable replacement at Bulk Barn. :up:
Organic 7 grain cereal.
Ingredients: Hard red wheat, barley, rye, steel cut oats, brown flaxseed, millet, buckwheat.

https://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/products/all ... ereal-3131

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Red River Cereal is gone?

THANK GOD!!!

I was abused as a child by being forced to eat that stuff.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

bb49, glad you found a suitable replacement but I'm siding with Glacier on this ... why?

Kids loved the stuff - hated cooking it. They also liked oatmeal but the only way I'll eat oatmeal is Dad's Oatmeal Cookies, bottom crust and topping for date squares and a streusel topping on fruit crisps, muffins or pies.

Cereal I grew up with and still enjoy hasn't been in any stores for the longest time. Checked the web site and there was a run on it ... won't be back on shelves until sometime in March 2021.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Feb 8th, 2021, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Is that what they call Gruel? lol

Never liked porridge and refuse to eat it.

Oatmeal Raisin cookies is another matter. :up:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”