Red River Cereal. Its gone.

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Red River Cereal. Its gone.

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^No, no, no ... raisins and/or chocolate chips don't belong in oatmeal cookies. Won't eat homemade oatmeal cookies - it's Dad's or nothing.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

oneh2obabe wrote:bb49, glad you found a suitable replacement but I'm siding with Glacier on this ... why?

Kids loved the stuff - hated cooking it. They also liked oatmeal but the only way I'll eat oatmeal is Dad's Oatmeal Cookies, bottom crust and topping for date squares and a streusel topping on fruit crisps, muffins or pies.

Cereal I grew up with and still enjoy hasn't been in any stores for the longest time. Checked the web site and there was a run on it ... won't be back on shelves until sometime in March 2021.
Glacier wrote:Red River Cereal is gone?

THANK GOD!!!

I was abused as a child by being forced to eat that stuff.
Calm down, both of you! :-X

Okay, let me explain how I make it not only passable but acceptable.

I start with 1/4 cup of "Red River", boil it for about ten minutes then add 1/2 cup of Cream of Wheat. Slowly let that simmer for about three minutes, and Voila, we have a healthy, tasty breakfast.
I think I'll call it Seven River Cereal. :biggrin:
And that does the two of us. A wee bit for my always-on-a-diet wife and the rest for me.

And I do oatmeal also, but this is far superior. :up:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I haven't had cream of wheat/gruel/porridge/pabulum since I was in a high chair and trapped by that restraint/table.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pabulum
1: FOOD
especially : a suspension or solution of nutrients in a state suitable for absorption
Roots deliver pabulum to the plant.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pabulum

Now oatmeal is okay in my book, so long as as it has a brown sugar topping and milk.

I just made an "Apple crisp", last night, put one in the freezer and will finish the other tonight.

Date squares (Matrimonial cake) are on my list of "favorite foods to make". But have you seen the price of dates lately?
Bring back the LIKE button.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

bb49 wrote: Calm down, both of you! :-X

Okay, let me explain how I make it not only passable but acceptable.

I start with 1/4 cup of "Red River", boil it for about ten minutes then add 1/2 cup of Cream of Wheat. Slowly let that simmer for about three minutes, and Voila, we have a healthy, tasty breakfast.
I think I'll call it Seven River Cereal. :biggrin:
And that does the two of us. A wee bit for my always-on-a-diet wife and the rest for me.

And I do oatmeal also, but this is far superior. :up:
Geez Louise, now you're making it worse. Cream of Wheat? (aka wallpaper paste). Not in this lifetime!
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Yup, Cream of Wheat, and now mixed with the new & improved Seven Rivers cereal. :up:

But on occasion, maybe once a year when I find it on sale for $2.99, I splurge with this,
sugar crisp.jpg
Ya 'all gotta like that!
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ sugar coated puffed air.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Nothing wrong with indulging once a year or so.

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

bb49 wrote:Yup, Cream of Wheat, and now mixed with the new & improved Seven Rivers cereal. :up:

But on occasion, maybe once a year when I find it on sale for $2.99, I splurge with this,
The attachment sugar crisp.jpg is no longer available
Ya 'all gotta like that!
Sugar Crisp is good on occasion but try this one ... can't tell the difference in a side-by-side taste test. Resealable bag on bottom shelf in cereal aisle at Walmart ... $2.97 for a 550g bag vs $3.97 for a 375g box of the brand name product.
Honey Puffed Delight.jpg

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

GordonH wrote:^^^ sugar coated puffed air.
Come on Gord, you got to live a little.

A few years ago one of our kids came for a visit, hadn't seen him for a while so in preparation for his visit I bought a box of Sugar Crisp.
He saw it, smiled and dug in. Seems his wife wouldn't let him have any in the house.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I was never a fan of Red River Cereal myself. My husband couldn't get enough of it. I couldn't find it for a while, then I stocked up when I did. Only to discover that the formulation had changed and it now went gelatinous instead of creamy. So, I did what any reasonable person would do and found other uses for it. The car got stuck in the snow that winter, it made decent grit for getting it unstuck (and was good for bird feeding, after). Then it sat on the shelf for a year until I hit upon the idea of giving it to the lady I get my farm eggs from - she cooked it up and served it to "the girls" during a cold snap not unlike this one.

Growing up, I loathed things like Red River Cereal. Even when I lived with Grandma and Grandpa that first year in college; they were originally Scottish, emigrated in the late 40's. The fact I wouldn't eat oatmeal was quite horrifying to them. The texture of those things just *eurgh* couldn't do it.

Then, years later, pregnant with my first child husband and I were on a road trip. We were travelling over to Nakusp, I think? Through Cherryville. I was starving and had no snacks, we had started quite early and so stopped at some little diner place in the area. There really wasn't much choice in Cherryville - it would have been around Dec 96- Jan 97. Anyway - the smell of pretty much everything caused my morning sickness to engage. I was so sad, so hungry, and then I saw the line in the menu for porridge/oatmeal/gruel/whatever; can't remember exactly how it was described. But my body went "THAT. THERE. NOW. MUST HAVE." I was "Are you serious? I loathe the stuff!" but pregnancy cravings are nothing to sneer at - they are a force of nature. So I grimly ordered it, sad down to eat and it was probably the best meal I'd had in weeks (seriously violent morning sickness, I had to be medicated to get through it). So now I like that stuff. Finding a keto replacement was difficult but I finally found something that would do (Toast coconut and nuts in a pan, add it to a bowl with stevia, chia seeds & cream, let sit. Then warm it up to eat). I still find it weird that I like it.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

At least no one got their hands on the cereal with the special frosting.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#325690
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

bb49 wrote:
oneh2obabe wrote:Apparently Sunny Boy Foods has a product similar to Red River. Check Nature's Fare and see if they have it in stock. Organic Sunny Boy Hot Cereal is a combination of wheat, rye and flax - same ingrediens that were in Red River.

https://sunnyboyfoods.com/products
We tried Nature's Fare today. No luck. They don't carry it but have had a number of requests for Sunny Boy products.
It appears no one in Kamloops carried their products.
I found Sunny Boy! :up:
One of our local Save On stores has it.
I did try it by itself. Not recommended.
But it does mix well with Cream of Wheat. :up:
Breakfasts are good again. :130:

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Cracked Wheat, Cracked Rye, Flax Seeds..... equals Red River Cereal

Cracked Wheat can be found on Amazon
Cracked Rye can be found on Amazon
Flax Seeds are everywhere

With a little bit of trial and error (to get the right mixture), everyone can make their own Red River Cereal.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

In 2014 the listed of ingredients was updated ... "Steel cut Wheat, steel cut Rye, cracked and whole Flax. May contain Barley, Mustard, Oat, Sesame seed, Soybean and Triticale ingredients". The OP is satisfied with the alternative he found so why bother trying to duplicate the cereal.

GordonH

Post by GordonH »

oneh2obabe wrote: In 2014 the listed of ingredients was updated ... "Steel cut Wheat, steel cut Rye, cracked and whole Flax. May contain Barley, Mustard, Oat, Sesame seed, Soybean and Triticale ingredients". The OP is satisfied with the alternative he found so why bother trying to duplicate the cereal.
It’s not on my hit parade, for myself I have my own breakfast cereal.
List of ingredients from most to least:
Oatmeal (9g fibre)
Oat Bran (6g fibre)
Hemp hearts (25g protein)
Ground Black Chia (25g fibre)
Ground Brown Flaxseed (3.5g omega 6... 10.5 omega 3)
Sweetener (not sugar)
Very small amount of salt (1/4 of a pinch)

Hot water & eat... keeps me going for hours.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”