Whatcha watching now?

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Whatcha watching now?

Post by lesliepaul »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 12th, 2023, 10:34 am
Catsumi wrote: Jan 11th, 2023, 7:34 pm Jlabute…Ridley Scott is still alive, 85, so still not a ‘was’ just yet. I too have watched many of his movies

Yzzzr1. I will look into your other musical recommendations. Thanks
Hey Cats,

Don't confuse the sappy teen flick 2002 movie by the same name. You will want to watch the 1986 movie with Ralph Macchio.

GREAT MOVIE!!! Bought the DVD.

Ry Cooder was responsible for setting the music for the movie. Macchio was given lessons on a guitar to mimic (quite well) the playing. Vai dubbed his playing for both parts.

Trivia............Jimmy Page wanted to do the devils guitar "gunslinger" part badly.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

‘Tis I, Jlabute, the Skunkess, who fell into lust with the gorgeous Worf who looks terrific now too, without the makeup and costume.

Just watching the Red Violin. Not bad.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

lesliepaul wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Ry Cooder was responsible for setting the music for the movie. Macchio was given lessons on a guitar to mimic (quite well) the playing. Vai dubbed his playing for both parts.

Trivia............Jimmy Page wanted to do the devils guitar "gunslinger" part badly.
Ry Cooder is one of the best slide players I know of. :up: Didn't know that about Mr. Page wanting the part. Cool

Just picked up a Strat copy, maybe a Teley will be next. :smt045
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Binge watching "Outlander" on Netflix.
I'm at S4 E11
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

ChocolateNecessary91 wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 5:59 pm Andor. It 's freaking awesome!
I loved Andor! So well done.

We watched The Menu the other night. We enjoyed it, but it was odd yet not quite enough.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Catsumi wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 6:58 pm ‘Tis I, Jlabute, the Skunkess, who fell into lust with the gorgeous Worf who looks terrific now too, without the makeup and costume.

Just watching the Red Violin. Not bad.
It is you Skunkess! Where is my brain!!

I watched "Let Him Go" with Kevin Costner last week. Could take it or leave it. Yet another southern family psycho movie. A sci-fi flick I was a few years back called Pandorum was good.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

YzzzR1 wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 8:28 pm
lesliepaul wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 6:46 pm

Ry Cooder is one of the best slide players I know of. :up: Didn't know that about Mr. Page wanting the part. Cool

Just picked up a Strat copy, maybe a Teley will be next. :smt045
ENJOY!

Ry Cooder has supplied his talent in more movies scores than I can count. As far as Page goes.........not a stretch for him wanting the part especially with all of the speculation of him having a fascination of the occult and his following of occultist Aleister Crowley in the 70's.

........all you need now is an original Hiwatt Custom 50 with a 4-12 cabinet to make that Strat scream.........when you have the house to yourself.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Time to watch Ladyhawke again.
Fantasy, romance, comedy, adventure... plus he is got as hell on the black horse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGs4o_5jyhw
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

CBC documentary Doug and the Slugs and Me

Loved that band so much, met Doug a couple of times - what a great guy. Such great memories of the many times seeing them live and dancing the night away. Very last time I was to see them they were cancelled at the last minute, and I think it was about a year later that Doug passed.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

just finished the Sherlock Holmes series with Robert Downey Junior and Jude Law.
Directed by Guy Richie
Robert did a great job as Sherlock. Fun period piece, grand filming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7nJksXDBWc
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Nooby wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 6:04 pm CBC documentary Doug and the Slugs and Me

Loved that band so much, met Doug a couple of times - what a great guy. Such great memories of the many times seeing them live and dancing the night away. Very last time I was to see them they were cancelled at the last minute, and I think it was about a year later that Doug passed.
The current front man, Ted Okos, is a Summerland boy. Nice to see some local talent in the big leagues.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Whenever I feel in need of a really good, 'my face hurts' laugh I turn to Robin:

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

lesliepaul wrote: Jan 13th, 2023, 6:46 pm Ry Cooder was responsible for setting the music for the movie.
Interesting trivia note:

Ry Cooder also won an award from the Los Angeles Film Critics’ Association for his soundtrack for “The Long Riders”, a 1980 western covering the exploits of the Jesse James/Cole Younger gang. Brothers in the gang were played by real-life brothers, three Carradines, and a pair each of Keaches, Quaids, and Guests. Required viewing for duster fans.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Nooby wrote: Jan 15th, 2023, 6:04 pm CBC documentary Doug and the Slugs and Me

I saw him perform at Roses once. It was when he was in decline. He had all subs in the band. He had been hired to perform for a national convention that was taking place there. The theme was Makin' it Work. He was to perform on the patio at about 7pm. He was hammered when he got there. He went on stage and was very obnoxious, spouting off. He said he used to have a career and look at him now, performing for them. The event manager pulled him aside and told him to shut up and sing.

A couple years later, he was gigging at the Edgewater in Peachland. The bartender told me he had it in his rider that they had to provide him with a case of Jack Daniels and two cases of beer or he would not go on.

This was many years before he died.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”