Since when does the Olympics trump FREE SPEECH?

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Since when does the Olympics trump FREE SPEECH?

Post by fluffy »

I think the underlying intent of this laws is to prevent people from using the Olympics as a soapbox for pursuing a personal political agenda, and that I agree with. The Olympic Games are intended as a non-political, non-commercial, non-partisan pursuit of personal excellence in sport, and the people that come to participate or spectate do not need the hosts to be using the games as an opportunity to air their dirty laundry in front of the world. Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from courteous and respectful behavior, but this concept is beyond some people and those are the ones that the law is targeting. That being said, there is a terrible temptation for those charged with enforcing the law to let their personal agendas affect their decisions as to what is appropriate and what is not, and I don't think the objectivity required to do a good job of that enforcement is in abundant supply in the government of the day.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

-fluffy- wrote: That being said, there is a terrible temptation for those charged with enforcing the law to let their personal agendas affect their decisions as to what is appropriate and what is not, and I don't think the objectivity required to do a good job of that enforcement is in abundant supply in the government of the day.

You have just countered your own argument!! congrats :spinball:
mtnman1
Guru

Post by mtnman1 »

westsidebud wrote:welcome to nazi canada

Wrong use of the term.

Among the key elements of Nazism were anti-parliamentarism, Pan-Germanism, racism, collectivism,[10][11] eugenics, antisemitism, anti-communism, totalitarianism and opposition to economic liberalism and political liberalism.
Lack of objection is implied consent.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Major Perfect wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:I’m pretty sure you’re right Major. They’d say quit your complaining and take a stand. “I can’t believe I gave my life for your freedom thinking you’d just sit back and let your politicians legislate it away. How did you sheeple become so pathetically complacent anyway ? Pull your head out of your *bleep* and stand up for yourself you wuss !!!”

They wouldn't call this regime "criminal" ? :spinball:

Perhaps when they eventually get around to fixing the elevator in your building so it finally makes it to the top floor you might start. :spinball:
Last edited by steven lloyd on Oct 24th, 2009, 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

-fluffy- wrote:I think the underlying intent of this laws is to prevent people from using the Olympics as a soapbox for pursuing a personal political agenda, and that I agree with. The Olympic Games are intended as a non-political, non-commercial, non-partisan pursuit of personal excellence in sport Than that being the case professional athletes should not be able to participate. But that door was and is wide open., and the people that come to participate or spectate do not need the hosts to be using the games as an opportunity to air their dirty laundry in front of the world. Freedom of speech does not imply freedom from courteous and respectful behavior, but this concept is beyond some people and those are the ones that the law is targeting. That being said, there is a terrible temptation for those charged with enforcing the law to let their personal agendas affect their decisions as to what is appropriate and what is not, and I don't think the objectivity required to do a good job of that enforcement is in abundant supply in the government of the day.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:Perhaps when they eventually get around to fixing the elevator in your building so it finally makes it to the top floor you might start. :spinball:

I'm old fashioned in that way. I need things like proof, reasonable doubt, court verdict, and so on. But what do I know about justice, it's your field just like burger flipping is mine. :spinball:
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Logitack wrote:
-fluffy- wrote: That being said, there is a terrible temptation for those charged with enforcing the law to let their personal agendas affect their decisions as to what is appropriate and what is not, and I don't think the objectivity required to do a good job of that enforcement is in abundant supply in the government of the day.

You have just countered your own argument!! congrats :spinball:

How so? I said that in my opinion the law is ethically correct in principle, but that I suspect our government may be a little short of people with enough ethics of their own to enforce the law objectively.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

roadrunner24k wrote:
-fluffy- wrote:I think the underlying intent of this laws is to prevent people from using the Olympics as a soapbox for pursuing a personal political agenda, and that I agree with. The Olympic Games are intended as a non-political, non-commercial, non-partisan pursuit of personal excellence in sport Than that being the case professional athletes should not be able to participate. But that door was and is wide open.......

There is also the issue of corporate sponsorship and mass media coverage, but that would be off topic too. The spirit of the Olympic Games is supposed to be non-political. and I will restate my position that it is an inappropriate venue for political protest.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Major Perfect wrote: I'm old fashioned in that way.

Actually, opposing corrupt governance is more of an old-fashioned idea. Rolling over and just taking it like complacent, media-drugged wusps – that’s relatively new (possibly the result of a phenomena psychologists term “learned helplessness”).
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Major Perfect wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Perhaps when they eventually get around to fixing the elevator in your building so it finally makes it to the top floor you might start. :spinball:

I'm old fashioned in that way. I need things like proof, reasonable doubt, court verdict, and so on. But what do I know about justice, it's your field just like burger flipping is mine. :spinball:

If you look at the Vancouver Olympic Bylaw it appears quite clear it's unconstitutional. The whole point of the constitution is to be the supreme law of the land. It's goes beyond whether or not this law intends to clamp down on Free speech, however important that cause is. You simply cannot allow a municipal government to create a law that is unconstitutional. You don't get to pick and choose when you allow the constitution to be broken.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

grammafreddy wrote:Six Billion Buckeroonies ... yessiree, Folks ... that's the figure at the moment that the Canadian taxpayer is on the hook for hosting these Olumpics on our soil. (I was gonna fix my typo, but then I decided I liked Olumpics better)

Six BILLION Bucks

Six BILLION Bucks

Six BILLION Bucks

How the hell did we manage to get soooo screwed?

Yup, 6 BILLION dollars, or the equivalent of well over a dollar representing every person on earth today! ...out of the pockets in one way or another of our measly 35 million Canadian souls however. All for a 10 day salute to global "sport", and those who feed off it (which ain't the athletes by the way).

But we are promised we (or the next generation at least) will benefit from the attention attracted to our shores (and resulting "investment" by foreign interests) - so we allow ourselves to be screwed over based on that "promise" of great things to come.

Just one more well executed con job financed by our tax dollars, with the BC lower mainland the prime beneficiary - but we in BC are used to that by now aren't we ;-). And we cannot allow such things as 'free speech" to get in the way of corporate profits.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

nolanrh wrote:
Major Perfect wrote:If you look at the Vancouver Olympic Bylaw it appears quite clear it's unconstitutional. You simply cannot allow a municipal government to create a law that is unconstitutional. You don't get to pick and choose when you allow the constitution to be broken.

Bylaws don't break constitution. End of story.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

totalitarianism

nope
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

any canadian has the right to peacefully protest at any event .if that is bylawed to not be allowed , then we heading down the nazi road.
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

I'm pretty sure if these men and women where here and listened to all the complaints people have these days, the most polite thing they'd call us would be "wusses".

both my grandpas were ww2 vets. and they both said they went to war to make canada a freedom respecting country. not so clowns like gordo could allow muting freespeech.
GO CANUCKS GO

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”