2010 Winter Olympic Games pros and cons

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Al Czervic
Guru

Re: 2010 Winter Olympic Games topics

Post by Al Czervic »

coffeeFreak wrote:I guess that makes me a glorified loser...the spririt of the Olympics is soooo far removed from its original intent, how can anyone not feel some ambivalence towards it. With the world in such financial turmoil, how can anyone justify throwing a party that goes well beyond their, their children and maybe even their children's children means?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disliking or disagreeing with the Olympics I am only referring to those moron’s who have to go out of their way to try and ruin it for everyone else. In Victoria there was a disabled child who wept in tears after protestors caused his dream of the Olympic flame to be denied. These are the losers I am talking about. The same one’s who brought marbles to throw under the horses feet hoping the horses might fall down. These people are the scum of the earth.
Back with a vengeance
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Al Czervic wrote:
coffeeFreak wrote:I guess that makes me a glorified loser...the spririt of the Olympics is soooo far removed from its original intent, how can anyone not feel some ambivalence towards it. With the world in such financial turmoil, how can anyone justify throwing a party that goes well beyond their, their children and maybe even their children's children means?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disliking or disagreeing with the Olympics I am only referring to those moron’s who have to go out of their way to try and ruin it for everyone else. In Victoria there was a disabled child who wept in tears after protestors caused his dream of the Olympic flame to be denied. These are the losers I am talking about. The same one’s who brought marbles to throw under the horses feet hoping the horses might fall down. These people are the scum of the earth.

Please give me a link to both the kid in tears and the marbles under the horses' feet, Al.
Chill
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

flamingfingers wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:

Please give me a link to both the kid in tears and the marbles under the horses' feet, Al.

There were several reports at the time....this was one of them....

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Torch+c ... story.html
Back with a vengeance
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: 2010 Winter Olympic Games pros and cons

Post by NAB »

As with most such activists/protesters, they usually pick the "wrong" way of expressing themselves and their views. Be it the olympics, global warming, land claims, tree hugging, save the whales/seals/polar bears/arctic Ice/glaciers, Harper hating, Layton hating, or pretty much any controversial issue, ..."they" become mindless thugs with a group mentality based on the lowest denominator.

That said, for the most part as individuals they are gutless cowards and bullies little different than those associated with juvenile street gangs - feeding off each other for their "power", victimizing the innocent, and incapable of thinking for themselves - or even expressing themselves. We get the same thing on the internet with such things as facebook groups and other social networking sites.

Sadly, I think it can be fairly said that the majority of such individuals don't have a clue about the details of what they are joining gangs in protest of... lazily becoming little more than sheep while turning their minds over to the control of others - usually well rehearsed cheats, manipulators, and liars with a purely self serving agenda.

The rest of course are simpletons, in it only for the thrills, the "social contact" and fulfilling of an otherwise unfulfilled need to feel important and accepted by someone other than their mother...

...truth be known most of them could really care less about the issues they protest against, or even who gets hurt in the process.

It's too bad the media tends to give them so much credibility and airtime.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

NAB wrote:As with most such activists/protesters, they usually pick the "wrong" way of expressing themselves and their views. Be it the olympics, global warming, land claims, tree hugging, save the whales/seals/polar bears/arctic Ice/glaciers, Harper hating, Layton hating, or pretty much any controversial issue, ..."they" become mindless thugs with a group mentality based on the lowest denominator.

That said, for the most part as individuals they are gutless cowards and bullies little different than those associated with juvenile street gangs - feeding off each other for their "power", victimizing the innocent, and incapable of thinking for themselves - or even expressing themselves. We get the same thing on the internet with such things as facebook groups and other social networking sites.

Sadly, I think it can be fairly said that the majority of such individuals don't have a clue about the details of what they are joining gangs in protest of... lazily becoming little more than sheep while turning their minds over to the control of others - usually well rehearsed cheats, manipulators, and liars with a purely self serving agenda.

The rest of course are simpletons, in it only for the thrills, the "social contact" and fulfilling of an otherwise unfulfilled need to feel important and accepted by someone other than their mother...

...truth be known most of them could really care less about the issues they protest against, or even who gets hurt in the process.

Nab

Well said Nab, could not agree with you more.
Back with a vengeance
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

NAB wrote: ..."they" become mindless thugs with a group mentality based on the lowest denominator...That said, for the most part as individuals they are gutless cowards and bullies little different than those associated with juvenile street gangs - feeding off each other for their "power", victimizing the innocent, and incapable of thinking for themselves - or even expressing themselves...Sadly, I think it can be fairly said that the majority of such individuals don't have a clue about the details of what they are joining gangs in protest of... lazily becoming little more than sheep while turning their minds over to the control of others - usually well rehearsed cheats, manipulators, and liars with a purely self serving agenda...

The rest of course are simpletons, in it only for the thrills, the "social contact" and fulfilling of an otherwise unfulfilled need to feel important and accepted by someone other than their mother...truth be known most of them could really care less about the issues they protest against, or even who gets hurt in the process.

Nab

Wow pretty strong and judgemental statements...media gives very little airtime and especially credibility to protesters unless it is to label them, as you have so nicely done...I would agree that there are often bad apples in the bunch, but to stand up for something you/I/they believe in is a freedom we have in Canada.

What should be of greater concern is the monopoly the media has on all of us. Why do too many blindly mimic their words? Do they even know what any of the real issues some of these "mindless" activists are fighting for are?

As far as the comment about crying children...if the media was doing its job in giving us a balanced report, people might be more aware of what to expect, they might even have discussion with their kids about why some people oppose the Olympics. It sure isn't the fairytale version VANOC and the IOC are allowing the world the world to see...if it wasn't so sterilized maybe some of these protestors wouldn't feel the need to take such measures.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

The "freedom" spoken about Coffee... has to do with the freedom to peacefully protest. It does not extend to a freedom to be violent, break a law, or even obstruct the legitimate pursuits of others. People who do that are little more than thugs and criminals for the most part IMO.

And just as protesters have the freedom to protest, I have the same freedom to oppose them peacefully and without violence. Be it them or me, we both however have the right to be "judgemental" (sometimes strongly so). For if we did not have that freedom or right neither of us would be doing or saying anything at all.

Finally, if you are going to quote partial quotes, pick a point and comment on it. It is not good form (IMO) to chop up someone else's overall quote and present it to appear as the full context. That too is a common practice among those who would attempt to distort information and mislead others.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

NAB wrote:As with most such activists/protesters, they usually pick the "wrong" way of expressing themselves and their views. Be it the olympics, global warming, land claims, tree hugging, save the whales/seals/polar bears/arctic Ice/glaciers, Harper hating, Layton hating, or pretty much any controversial issue, ..."they" become mindless thugs with a group mentality based on the lowest denominator.

It's too bad the media tends to give them so much credibility and airtime.Nab

Wow pretty strong and judgemental statements...media gives very little airtime and especially credibility to protesters unless it is to label them, as you have so nicely done...I would agree that there are often bad apples in the bunch, but to stand up for something you/I/they believe in is a freedom we have in Canada.

What should be of greater concern is the monopoly the media has on all of us. Why do too many blindly mimic their words? Do they even know what any of the real issues some of these "mindless" activists are fighting for are?

As far as the comment about crying children...if the media was doing its job in giving us a balanced report, people might be more aware of what to expect, they might even have discussion with their kids about why some people oppose the Olympics. It sure isn't the fairytale version VANOC and the IOC are allowing the world the world to see...if it wasn't so sterilized maybe some of these protestors wouldn't feel the need to take such measures.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Al Czervic wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:

There were several reports at the time....this was one of them....

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Torch+c ... story.html

Well, Al I read that article completely and nowhere in the article does it state that a "disabled child who wept..."

And, very clearly, the article stated:
"Protesters tied up downtown traffic for half an hour, camping in the middle of one of the biggest intersections. There were reports some marchers threw marbles to unnerve police horses that followed them.

Ahh, didn't think you were so prone to dramatics as that, Al....
Chill
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

flamingfingers wrote:Well, Al I read that article completely and nowhere in the article does it state that a "disabled child who wept..."

No, your right. The article didn't say that the boy wept.
The teen was one of about 10 torch bearers who had their turns wrecked by protests Friday night.

Organizers diverted the run, leaving disappointed relay members to make do with passing the lit torch to each other beside the bus.

Members of his family were left fuming at the intersection where Dronsfield (the disabled boy) was supposed to start his 300-metre leg.

"I think it's disgusting," said his mom, Diana. "My son's in a wheelchair and he's planning to walk it."

How horrible. I wept when I read that the first time.

Protesters seemed unfazed, chanted to each other, celebrating their success in disrupting the torch relay.

"We're forcing the torch to change the route," they chanted. "We have succeeded in blocking the torch."

Asked about robbing a disabled teen of his moment, one protest leader yelled back, "Am I supposed to feel sorry for them when people are dying on the streets?"

Oh, the mentality of these people.
Not afraid to say "It".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

flamingfingers wrote:I hope we have an incredibly successful Winter Games that brings in huge megabucks so we don't have to pay for this fiasco for the rest of our lives.

It is good to dream, as we have seen over the years Olympic are a hit or miss mostly miss and host country is got a bill to pay. My fingers are crossed that Vancouver will be in the black unfortunately history tends to win out.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

whatisupcastanet wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:I hope we have an incredibly successful Winter Games that brings in huge megabucks so we don't have to pay for this fiasco for the rest of our lives.

It is good to dream, as we have seen over the years Olympic are a hit or miss mostly miss and host country is got a bill to pay. My fingers are crossed that Vancouver will be in the black unfortunately history tends to win out.

These are good hopes - but we have nothing ( global economic recession, the highest level of poverty and homeless in the country, a government that is a global embarrassment ready to entertain the notion of allowing a general strike this spring). Do you think this is the place that international multi-conglomerates are goig to risk investing in (withought further shady, taxpayer-screwing arrangements with Gordon Campbell). Campbell will certainly be in a desperate place, but the leaders of international multi-conglomerates didn't get to where they are by protecting and covering for inept fools. No, we the taxpayer will suck up the loss of this extravagent party, and it will take generations to even get close to breaking even.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

flamingfingers wrote:
Ahh, didn't think you were so prone to dramatics as that, Al....

Damn ! You are on to me. Yes my alter ego is a dramatist, like all right wing nut jobs we secretly are playwrights and authors of Haiku poetry in our spare time because of our immense love of drama and the arts. Yessir, that is me. Al Czervic lover of drama.

Sorry to burst you bubble but as I said this was only ONE news article at the time. Other news articles did indeed say the boy was in tears and also referenced the idiots carrying marbles as well.

My point was ultimately not to debate semantics over displays of human emotion but rather to illustrate how these protesting morons had insisted that their loser cause impacted the rights and enjoyment of others. If you don’t like something great, protest away and fill your boots but you have no right to impact on the beliefs and rights of others. But these loser’s could care less. Interesting that you would defend them, but not unexpected.
Back with a vengeance
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^ Al, you must get most of your exercise these days by jumping to conclusions. No where in my post did I 'defend' anyone. I simply pointed out that the article you referenced did not state what you stated in YOUR post. Ergo, the dramatics.
Chill
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Wouldn't it be funny if Vanoc actually made money on Olympics? So many people would be choked.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”