Whistler Accommodation 2010

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Whistler Accommodation 2010

Post by StraitTalk »

I am likely going to work in Whistler during the Olympics this winter, however before I can apply I need to find and book accommodation. (Yeah, really.) So if you've ever been to Whistler you know it's unbelievably expensive as it is not to mention during the Olympics. However VANOC and the Municipality of Whistler has "assured" there will be affordable accommodation for all employees and volunteers. My budget for a three month stay is (after money I earn after tax, and bring with me) approximately $7000.00. Not a lot, but I've been assured, enough.

Here's my problem: Now I'm pretty good at the internet, but I can't for love nor money find this so-called "affordable accommodation".

So, what's the deal? Considering I was contacted through my college and this employment program is for students, how can they expect us to afford to work? I seriously can't find anything. I'm looking at roughly $50 per day or $900 per month for accommodations alone for this to be affordable.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Whistler Accommodation 2010

Post by Captain Awesome »

$900/month in Whistler during the Olympics?

Yeah, you won't find it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Let's keep it constructive please. There has to be something I'm not seeing.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Constructive, right. Two cents for ya:

- Use Craigslist (http://whistler.en.craigslist.ca/), by far the best way to find housing
- Look around Squamish. It's not that far from Whistler but you might have better luck there. Cheaper too.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Craigslist. BOOM. Finding lots thank you so much. I kind of knew accommodation sharing was going to be the golden ticket.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Have you considered learning to build an igloo? Kinda fits, doncha think? Plus, you could build it right in the village or close to where you'll be working and save a bundle of buckeroonies.

hmmm ... wonder if anyone would try to stop you?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

I was planning on going to volunteer but after what Vanoc wanted to put people though just to help out - no thanks. Now they are crying for help - go figure.

Hope you find a place up there for a reasonable price. Should be able to.
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

Well I don't know about an igloo but I've slept in a Quinzee several times and that wasn't so bad.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”