Will Mother Nature Decide Fate of Olympics?

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: Will Mother Nature Decide Fate of Olympics?

Post by skydawg »

damngrumpy wrote:I couldn't be happier if we saw clear skies or mild and rain for the next month. These people the
organizers are getting what they deserve. The government has sacrificed our future and our
children's future for the benefit of the greedy few. I am at the point of not supporting businesses
who support the games. Not a boycott, per say just that if I can support others why would I go out
and support businesses that helped to bring ruin on my province for their benefit, and nothing for
the rest of us.

I agree
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Reading threw this thread the thing I noticed is how much people love paying lots and lots of taxes.
The less revue bought in by Vanoc the more each one of us will pay.

It been many year now that any Olympics has made money most are just that one very big white elephant. I am a taxpayer who does not want to have to fork out for someone else's stupidly. So I go along with WTHWYT and say Go Vancouver 2010 Go

For those who wish failure I would like to triple your taxes for this event, if I could.

WTHWYT wrote:I am not fan of the Olympics lets get that straight.
I am glad that Toronto did not get the summer games no matter how/why that happen. I hoped Vancouver's bid would fail as well. That did not happen so in few days this 14 day event will happen like it or not. If those in charge (Vanoc) do not rake in one hell of a lot money in this event the people of B.C will be on the hoof for the debt. So yes I hope every event would be "sold-out".

I am not blind there is huge debt and we will be paying for this for years to come, maybe if money generated by sell-outs will knock years off this debt. So may weather be just right for each event Go 2010 Olympics Go

So WTHWYT I totally agree.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

whatisupcastanet wrote:Reading threw this thread the thing I noticed is how much people love paying lots and lots of taxes.
The less revue bought in by Vanoc the more each one of us will pay.

It been many year now that any Olympics has made money most are just that one very big white elephant. I am a taxpayer who does not want to have to fork out for someone else's stupidly. You already are and have been for years. So I go along with WTHWYT and say Go Vancouver 2010 Go

For those who wish failure I would like to triple your taxes for this event, if I could.

WTHWYT wrote:I am not fan of the Olympics lets get that straight.
I am glad that Toronto did not get the summer games no matter how/why that happen. I hoped Vancouver's bid would fail as well. That did not happen so in few days this 14 day event will happen like it or not. If those in charge (Vanoc) do not rake in one hell of a lot money in this event the people of B.C will be on the hoof for the debt. So yes I hope every event would be "sold-out".

I am not blind there is huge debt and we will be paying for this for years to come, maybe if money generated by sell-outs will knock years off this debt. So may weather be just right for each event Go 2010 Olympics Go

So WTHWYT I totally agree.

So where would all this money come from to help pay off this useless event.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

skydawg wrote: So where would all this money come from to help pay off this useless event.

:137:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

whatisupcastanet wrote:
skydawg wrote: So where would all this money come from to help pay off this useless event.

It wont even come close to generating enough income to break even
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

skydawg wrote:
whatisupcastanet wrote:

It wont even come close to generating enough income to break even

I did not say it would, as I mention it's been years since an Olympic event as made/broke even that said if all the events are sold-out and the tickets are paid and other money generating stuff Vanoc has sales. The less we as taxpayer maybe burden with, yes as also mention I believe by WTHWYT their will be debt the smaller the better don't you think.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Holding the freestyle events on Cypress was a dumb idea to begin with. They should have been at Whistler with all the other snow events. Whistler has almost 10feet of snow right now.

It has always been a crap shoot whether there would be snow or rain this time of year at the Vancouver hills.

So now they gotta go with plan C, trucking and helicoptering in snow.....lol! Wonder what that is going to cost the taxpayers.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... -snow.html
Find something to give a damn about!
theartsyfartsy

Post by theartsyfartsy »

Yeah, like this wasn't predictable. The Pacific Northwest, at least, the coastal region, isn't exactly known for large amounts of snow (anyone remember last winter, when it snowed and the major airports couldn't operate?)
If common sense was common, it wouldn't be called common sense.
fit4u5
Fledgling

Post by fit4u5 »

skydawg wrote:
damngrumpy wrote:I couldn't be happier if we saw clear skies or mild and rain for the next month. These people the
organizers are getting what they deserve. The government has sacrificed our future and our
children's future for the benefit of the greedy few. I am at the point of not supporting businesses
who support the games. Not a boycott, per say just that if I can support others why would I go out
and support businesses that helped to bring ruin on my province for their benefit, and nothing for
the rest of us.

I agree

KARMA will get this gov.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

fit4u5 wrote:KARMA will get this gov.

Suuuuuuure.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Its not just about the weather, or even if VANOC itself makes, loses, or breaks even financially. Consider this article that indicates the anticipated losses of the TV networks who "won" the bids to provide coverage of the Games...

"Nobody can do anything about the warm weather, not even Mr. Furlong. He can't fix the economic climate, either. The global financial crisis might have eased but the damage has already been done to some Games sponsors and advertisers, most of whom committed vast sums of money to Vancouver years ago.
Earlier this month, the chairman of NBC Sports admitted his network is poised to lose US$200-million on the 2010 Games. In 2003, NBC paid the International Olympic Committee a staggering US$820-million for the right to broadcast the Games in the United States. In Canada, CTV paid approximately $90-million, and is expected to spend another $45-million on production coverage. One analyst predicted this week that CTV will lose $20-million on the Games, thanks to lower than anticipated advertising sales. "

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story. ... z0dP8dwGTu
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Post by skydawg »

NAB wrote:Its not just about the weather, or even if VANOC itself makes, loses, or breaks even financially. Consider this article that indicates the anticipated losses of the TV networks who "won" the bids to provide coverage of the Games...

"Nobody can do anything about the warm weather, not even Mr. Furlong. He can't fix the economic climate, either. The global financial crisis might have eased but the damage has already been done to some Games sponsors and advertisers, most of whom committed vast sums of money to Vancouver years ago.
Earlier this month, the chairman of NBC Sports admitted his network is poised to lose US$200-million on the 2010 Games. In 2003, NBC paid the International Olympic Committee a staggering US$820-million for the right to broadcast the Games in the United States. In Canada, CTV paid approximately $90-million, and is expected to spend another $45-million on production coverage. One analyst predicted this week that CTV will lose $20-million on the Games, thanks to lower than anticipated advertising sales. "

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story. ... z0dP8dwGTu

Boo Hoo I really feel sorry for them
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

We will pay for it if it does well, we will pay for it does not. Damned if we do damned we don't anyway you look at it B.C will paying for this for years to come. Will the world take notice of B.C probably not. Same sh*t will happen 4 years in Sochi, Russia ( just with a warmer climate ).
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

In Soviet Russia, Olympics pay taxes!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:In Soviet Russia, Olympics pay taxes!

In BC taxes pay Olympics.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”