Protest this

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Protest this

Post by NAB »

Al Czervic wrote:...In Canada we have a different definition of poverty than most other places. In Canada you can live in taxpayer subsidizing housing, have free health care, free education, free prescription drugs, free seniors housing when you retire AND have a guaranteed monthly income for life courtesy of the taxpayer and still be considered to be in poverty.

Just as an aside Al, I have to question these statements regarding all the "free" stuff people supposedly get as very misleading, particularly to young folk who may not think to question them. In particular could you point me to some "free seniors housing when you retire"? Methinks I would like to look at possibilities in that regard. It appears I may have been foolishly paying my own way.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Feb 7th, 2010, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Al Czervic wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
Yes. We can be idealistic. But just sitting back and saying “Why worry? It’s worse elsewhere” (let's go spend ten billion on a ten-day party) is a pretty pathetic copout.

But that is NOT what is occurring Stephen and I expect even you know that.

Al, saying “Why worry? It’s worse elsewhere” is a common theme on these threads - one you have engaged in yourself. What do you think is occurring ?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote: In particular could you point me to some "free seniors housing when you retire"? Methinks I would like to look at possibilities in that regard. It appears I may have been follishly paying my own way.

:dyinglaughing: I was going to try and find that, but maybe Al can save us time and direct us.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

here is your free housing
Attachments
revelation-jay-van-dam2-580x580.jpg
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

NAB wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:...In Canada we have a different definition of poverty than most other places. In Canada you can live in taxpayer subsidizing housing, have free health care, free education, free prescription drugs, free seniors housing when you retire AND have a guaranteed monthly income for life courtesy of the taxpayer and still be considered to be in poverty.

Just as an aside Al, I have to question these statements regarding all the "free" stuff people supposedly get as very misleading, particularly to young folk who may not think to question them. In particular could you point me to some "free seniors housing when you retire"? Methinks I would like to look at possibilities in that regard. It appears I may have been foolishly paying my own way.

Nab

Residential care home and assisted living care homes are subsidized heavily by both BC Housing and by the various health authorities. Yes, you pay a percentage of your income but if your income is already provided courtesy of the taxpayer than in effect you have virtually free seniors housing. It is the same as most every other major government service here in B.C.

And yes the care rates at ALL government subsidized care homes just went up for those like you who have been “foolishly paying your own way” to make even cheaper rates for those who have never bothered.
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

steven lloyd wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
Yes. We can be idealistic. But just sitting back and saying “Why worry? It’s worse elsewhere” (let's go spend ten billion on a ten-day party) is a pretty pathetic copout.

But that is NOT what is occurring Stephen and I expect even you know that.

Al, saying “Why worry? It’s worse elsewhere” is a common theme on these threads - one you have engaged in yourself. What do you think is occurring ?

That is not at all what I said. You said

But just sitting back and saying “Why worry? It’s worse elsewhere” (let's go spend ten billion on a ten-day party) is a pretty pathetic copout.

And I responded that there is no copout. The Government continues to spend millions upon millions on programs and services for the low income crowd.
Back with a vengeance
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Al Czervic wrote:And I responded that there is no copout. The Government continues to spend millions upon millions on programs and services for the low income crowd.

So what you are saying is that schools, universities, healthcare including support services, highways, etc, etc are all services for the low-income crowd? Wow!...I just keep learning all kinds of new stuff on this Castenet forum! :coffeecanuck:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

coffeeFreak wrote: So what you are saying is that schools, universities, healthcare including support services, highways, etc, etc are all services for the low-income crowd?

Ya, didn't you know that Sea to Ski Highway that I will never drive on but will pay for with my tax dollars is a taxpayer-subsidized service for all those "low-income" folk owning property in Whistler.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Al Czervic wrote: And I responded that there is no copout. The Government continues to spend millions upon millions on programs and services for the low income crowd.

Fair enough I guess, since they're spending billions upon billions on the elite and high income crowd.

People who can easily afford to attend the Olmpics and pay for tickets get them free.

People who could never afford to attend the Olympics or pay for tickets instead pay for the free giveaways with their tax dollars.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Ain't that the truth.

Sad
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Al Czervic wrote: And I responded that there is no copout. The Government continues to spend millions upon millions on programs and services for the low income crowd.

The denial that the issues even exist and continued copout “Why worry? It’s worse elsewhere” is perpetuated here on these boards. Everything's awesome.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

grumpydigger wrote:here is your free housing

Maybe Al would like something a little more rustic?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I guess the Salvation Army was out of matching shoes the day this fellow dropped by. Awesome.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

steven lloyd wrote:
coffeeFreak wrote: So what you are saying is that schools, universities, healthcare including support services, highways, etc, etc are all services for the low-income crowd?

Ya, didn't you know that Sea to Ski Highway that I will never drive on but will pay for with my tax dollars is a taxpayer-subsidized service for all those "low-income" folk owning property in Whistler.

SL - don't get me started on highways being built with my tax dollars yet not letting me use them. At least with the Sea to Ski you are allowed to drive on it without getting a ticket - not so here in Kelowna with the idiot HOV lane. That being said - the cops aren't enforcing it so that kind of weakens my point. :)
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:127: ya, ya - let's not go there (wrong thread)

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”