Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by grammafreddy »

BigBadBootyDaddy wrote:Then stay home, why do the few have to ruin it for those of us who enjoy the Olympics?


Because some of us don't like what we see? Some of us don't think the Olympics is worth massive debt for many years to come? Some of us see the politics behind the Olympics and the folly of the whole thing? Some of us don't like having debt shoved down our throats? Some of us don't like being bullied?

People today are so used to the concept of being in debt that they think it is an acceptable, and even a good way, to live. And some of us have our heads screwed on a little tighter and straighter and know that debt is NOT a good thing.

Yes, I will stay home. At least I still have a choice about that - so far.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
fvkasm2x
Guru
Posts: 7244
Joined: Apr 1st, 2007, 3:06 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:People today are so used to the concept of being in debt that they think it is an acceptable, and even a good way, to live. And some of us have our heads screwed on a little tighter and straighter and know that debt is NOT a good thing.

Yes, I will stay home. At least I still have a choice about that - so far.


A fundraiser/party for the Special Olmpics is not an admission/acceptance of being in debt. I don't care where the Olympics are held, I will still be watching the hockey tournament and hoping Canada gets gold. The location of the games doesn't mean I stop cheering for our Country. That doesn't mean I am happy they are being held here. If I can cheer for them AND help the Special Olympics, I think that is a good thing. If you don't, stay at home with your 5 cats and drink some Ensure. Either way, there is little need to bash those who want to enjoy the game.
User avatar
BigBadBootyDaddy
Generalissimo Postalot
Posts: 878
Joined: Apr 12th, 2005, 12:51 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by BigBadBootyDaddy »

fvkasm2x wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:People today are so used to the concept of being in debt that they think it is an acceptable, and even a good way, to live. And some of us have our heads screwed on a little tighter and straighter and know that debt is NOT a good thing.

Yes, I will stay home. At least I still have a choice about that - so far.


A fundraiser/party for the Special Olmpics is not an admission/acceptance of being in debt. I don't care where the Olympics are held, I will still be watching the hockey tournament and hoping Canada gets gold. The location of the games doesn't mean I stop cheering for our Country. That doesn't mean I am happy they are being held here. If I can cheer for them AND help the Special Olympics, I think that is a good thing. If you don't, stay at home with your 5 cats and drink some Ensure. Either way, there is little need to bash those who want to enjoy the game.


Thank you and well said :rate10:
You don't love her because she is beautiful, she is beautiful, because you love her
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:Because some of us don't like what we see? Some of us don't think the Olympics is worth massive debt for many years to come? Some of us see the politics behind the Olympics and the folly of the whole thing? Some of us don't like having debt shoved down our throats? Some of us don't like being bullied?


With all due respect gramma, the event that's being discussed isn't Olympics. Just a fun community event for families to attend that won't cost taxpayers anything so why bother getting all puffed up.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Because some of us don't like what we see? Some of us don't think the Olympics is worth massive debt for many years to come? Some of us see the politics behind the Olympics and the folly of the whole thing? Some of us don't like having debt shoved down our throats? Some of us don't like being bullied?


With all due respect gramma, the event that's being discussed isn't Olympics. Just a fun community event for families to attend that won't cost taxpayers anything so why bother getting all puffed up.


Sorry ... I could have sworn I saw the word "Olympics" in the thread title. How silly of me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
fvkasm2x
Guru
Posts: 7244
Joined: Apr 1st, 2007, 3:06 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:Sorry ... I could have sworn I saw the word "Olympics" in the thread title. How silly of me.


Very silly, since we are talknig about a local event to help charity... not another place for people to bash the olympics and the government.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:Sorry ... I could have sworn I saw the word "Olympics" in the thread title. How silly of me.


Yeah, that's pretty silly ;)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by grammafreddy »

fvkasm2x wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Sorry ... I could have sworn I saw the word "Olympics" in the thread title. How silly of me.


Very silly, since we are talknig about a local event to help charity... not another place for people to bash the olympics and the government.


It is still something in support of the Olympics - and I am opposed to them, so you go and I will do what I can to hang onto any money the government will allow me to have left after they tax the crap outta me for their stoopid shenanigans.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:49 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by JayPeeWhy »

grammafreddy wrote:
MorningGlory wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Who is paying for this little additional party? The taxpayers AGAIN??????


From what I heard, it's coming out of Letnick's own pockets...


And who pays his salary these days?


What on earth has that got to do with anything. Your argument fails to stand primarily because if we pay the government through taxes, they pay Norm for services and then HE puts that money that HE earned straight back into OUR community for his party surely he deserves a pat on the back? I think that politicians are pretty much needed and to have one like Norm i a good thing.

Unless you think that there should not be a government in which case what do you suggest?
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by grammafreddy »

Jaymz wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
MorningGlory wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Who is paying for this little additional party? The taxpayers AGAIN??????


From what I heard, it's coming out of Letnick's own pockets...


And who pays his salary these days?


What on earth has that got to do with anything. Your argument fails to stand primarily because if we pay the government through taxes, they pay Norm for services and then HE puts that money that HE earned straight back into OUR community for his party surely he deserves a pat on the back? I think that politicians are pretty much needed and to have one like Norm i a good thing.

Unless you think that there should not be a government in which case what do you suggest?


Quite frankly, I would prefer to have a government that actually was prudent, honest and accountable instead of the sneaky, lying, self-serving bunch of hot air that we currently have.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
JayPeeWhy
Board Meister
Posts: 466
Joined: Aug 22nd, 2007, 9:49 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by JayPeeWhy »

grammafreddy wrote:Quite frankly, I would prefer to have a government that actually was prudent, honest and accountable instead of the sneaky, lying, self-serving bunch of hot air that we currently have.


Excellent, then you have no objection to Norm then.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12731
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:44 am

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by Catz »

grammafreddy wrote:
Jaymz wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
MorningGlory wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Who is paying for this little additional party? The taxpayers AGAIN??????


From what I heard, it's coming out of Letnick's own pockets...


And who pays his salary these days?


What on earth has that got to do with anything. Your argument fails to stand primarily because if we pay the government through taxes, they pay Norm for services and then HE puts that money that HE earned straight back into OUR community for his party surely he deserves a pat on the back? I think that politicians are pretty much needed and to have one like Norm i a good thing.

Unless you think that there should not be a government in which case what do you suggest?


Quite frankly, I would prefer to have a government that actually was prudent, honest and accountable instead of the sneaky, lying, self-serving bunch of hot air that we currently have.



This ha nothing to do with watching the gold game in Rutland...that is what the topic is. There are enough topics about the olympics and government, that people should be able to talk about the events without the nonstop complaining of the olympics.

I think it is a great idea, and good on him :sunshine:
User avatar
coffeeFreak
Guru
Posts: 5302
Joined: Oct 22nd, 2009, 6:06 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by coffeeFreak »

grammafreddy wrote:Who is paying for this little additional party? The taxpayers AGAIN??????


From what I heard, it's coming out of Letnick's own pockets...[/quote]

"From what [you] heard"? What about facts...Do you know for certain who is paying for this?

And while Letnick's actions may appear to be purely above-board, he's a politician and our public servant's track records haven't been the greatest, so yeah we question him. And besides, I don't hear anyone giving kudos and raving on about how great other businesses, theatres and church groups are for organizing similar parties.

What makes Letnick's party any different; what privilege does he have that the rest of us don't? Oh yeah, I forgot he's a BC LIBERAL politician...he's special :dyinglaughing:
User avatar
Undercast
Posts: 93
Joined: Nov 27th, 2009, 1:03 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by Undercast »

A friend of mine is in the Rotary that is going to be holding the silent auction and concession was the one who told me Norm is paying for it.

And wow, I am surprised regarding the negativity this thread has taken and as puffy said, there are plenty of other threads for your 'silent' protest. But really, I skim over your repeated rambles anyway so it doesn't matter.

As said before by many, don't go, we won't miss you. This event is for people who want to donate to good causes and bring our families to community events that bring us together. But by all means, protest outside if you really feel strongly about it, while we enjoy each others company inside.
People are very inclined to set moral standards for others ~Elizabeth Drew
User avatar
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 13015
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Re: Feb. 28 Olympic Event - Men's Gold @ Rutland Centennial Hall

Post by jaz301 »

Reading what has happened in this thread is making me :purefury: :purefury: :purefury: . Someone posts something about a community event and stupid people have to go around and twist it to get their points of view. As puffy had mentioned there are plenty of other Olympic topics were you can bash the Olympics. This is just a thread about a FREE(notice the word free in there) community event were people can come together and watch the gold medal game(and hopefully Canada will be in it).

I hope to find myself sitting in a chair watching the game at the hall and closing ceremonies. I am just wondering how we are going to watch the game and if we actually have to pre register.
Life is too sho......

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”