Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
blackprince

Re: Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

Post by blackprince »

Nice to see national pride on display in this thread.....oh wait i'm confused this thread was full of bigotry not pride.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:please NOT Gretzke ............. please!

grammafreddy wrote:They coulda done better than Gretzke

Much better

Two quick questions:

1) If you are so against the Olympics, why are you watching the ceremonies? For someone bashing them every chance you get, you sure helped make them a success so far by tuning in.

2) How do you not know who Wayne Gretzky is? Not sure who this Gretzke guy is, but #99 is the best hockey player to ever live, is Canadian and deserves a bit of respect. It's like saying Troodough was a good politician.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Canadians just cant get it up

I got tired of waiting to see what happened. I take it they got it lit somehow...

Was it a total goofup like it appeared ?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nope, not quite over but worth the last few minutes.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Do you believe?..Gagggg...
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I was surprised there was almost no security when Wayne was driving in the truck with the flame. People just running around and goofing around.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

Captain Awesome wrote:
acidrain wrote:Could they not find a Canadian that's lived here in the past 20 years to light the final one? What a disappointment that Terry Fox's Mom didn't get the opportunity to do it for Terry.

What's everyone's fascination with Betty Fox? She's just a mom.

She's the mother of one of Canada's greatest Canadians. Didn't Terry Fox get a lot more votes than Gretzky when they were naming the Greatest Canadian? Gretzky is considered the best hockey player ever known. Terry Fox sacraficed himself in bringing awareness to cure cancer as he battled it himself. Just speaking for myself but I'd be much prouder having a family member of Terry Fox carry the flame in his honor than a hockey player that has had limited involvement in his home country since leaving in the 80's. Just saying..
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

grammafreddy wrote:I got a chuckle out of how they missed the torch switch in the truck - they kept saying it must be a special one he had cause it stayed lit for more than 15 minutes.

Yes, they switched, please, news people, the torch was switched - they'll get it by the 11 pm news.
C A N A D A ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great opening ceremony
KD Lang - FABULOUS
So much to be thankful for and love about these ceremonies
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

I'm giving this Winter Olympics opening ceremonies: :rate8:

Would have been a 9/10 if the climax didn't glitch.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

acidrain wrote:She's the mother of one of Canada's greatest Canadians. Didn't Terry Fox get a lot more votes than Gretzky when they were naming the Greatest Canadian? Gretzky is considered the best hockey player ever known. Terry Fox sacraficed himself in bringing awareness to cure cancer as he battled it himself. Just speaking for myself but I'd be much prouder having a family member of Terry Fox carry the flame in his honor than a hockey player that has had limited involvement in his home country since leaving in the 80's. Just saying..

Greatest hockey player in the world > mom (not Terry Fox, his mom)
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

I can't believe CTV just showed the crash that killed the luger. Poor guy didn't stand a chance. Are we to busy trucking snow to put some kind of catch fence before a steel pillar?
Model citizen......zero discipline.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

fvkasm2x wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:please NOT Gretzke ............. please!

grammafreddy wrote:They coulda done better than Gretzke

Much better

Two quick questions:

1) If you are so against the Olympics, why are you watching the ceremonies? For someone bashing them every chance you get, you sure helped make them a success so far by tuning in.

2) How do you not know who Wayne Gretzky is? Not sure who this Gretzke guy is, but #99 is the best hockey player to ever live, is Canadian and deserves a bit of respect. It's like saying Troodough was a good politician.

I know who he is. I just don't happen to think he's as wonderful as you do. Without his team mates covering his tush he was just a mediocre hockey player. There's been better. The media pegged him as "The Great One" and it happened to stick. He's not really any greater than a lot of other equally deserving people.

And I am watching the opening ceremonies because I paid for the f'ing things and will be paying for them until the day I die. You got a problem with that????? What a waste of money. I doubt I will watch anything more. I wanted to see what $153 million bucks looks like. I was not impressed with what they did with my money.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I watched the entire opening ceremony and I am watching it again on American stations, (theyre just going through the athlete parade now).

When the torch finally entered the building it made me feel like a proud canadian!
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

As an immigrant to Canada and a Canadian for the past 34 years, I am PROUD of this country and its opening ceremonies. You guys who trash this dont know what you got!!!! For once appreciate CANADA. Its worth it! Great country!!!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Cumungala wrote:I watched the entire opening ceremony and I am watching it again on American stations, (theyre just going through the athlete parade now).

When the torch finally entered the building it made me feel like a proud canadian!

I just said that to my family - I am SO proud of being C A N A D I A N!!!!!!!!!

The torch lighting and who did it - AWESOME!!!!!!!

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”