Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

Post by fvkasm2x »

nolanrh wrote:To all the French bashers: If you want to live here, learn the damn languages. ;)

You need Chinese in BC more than you need French buddy. Nobody cares about that langauge in this countery outside of Quebec and half of Ontario. It made little sense to include so much French. I have no idea, but was the Calgary ceremony filled with it back in the day?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

fvkasm2x wrote:
nolanrh wrote:To all the French bashers: If you want to live here, learn the damn languages. ;)

You need Chinese in BC more than you need French buddy. Nobody cares about that langauge in this countery outside of Quebec and half of Ontario.

Guess what you with just have to live with it, seeing the head of IOC Jacques Rogge of Belgium French speaking.

Yes their are many non-official languages in Canada, French and English are ( Official )from sea to sea to sea. :sillygrin:
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

nolanrh wrote:Definitely, not serious. Though in all honestly and as a BC native who can't speak French, I take no offense at our second official language being given equal treatment.

I thought the first nations bits were a little over the top, only because it seemed to misrepresent us as a nation living harmoniously together. Seating the first nations chiefs with the prime minister doesn't seem to fit with the political reality in Canada and its unfair to pretend otherwise. That being said, it's great to see the Aboriginal aspect of Canadian culture honoured as it deserves to be. If only the respect we portrayed to the world last night matched reality.

To match political reality they should have had the Prime Minister steal all of the Chiefs' house before the ceremonies, and then have the Chiefs steal the Prime Minister's wallet after the ceremony. That's Canadian political reality.
Last edited by Liberty and Truth on Feb 13th, 2010, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
nolanrh wrote:Definitely, not serious. Though in all honestly and as a BC native who can't speak French, I take no offense at our second official language being given equal treatment.

I thought the first nations bits were a little over the top, only because it seemed to misrepresent us as a nation living harmoniously together. Seating the first nations chiefs with the prime minister doesn't seem to fit with the political reality in Canada and its unfair to pretend otherwise. That being said, it's great to see the Aboriginal aspect of Canadian culture honoured as it deserves to be. If only the respect we portrayed to the world last night matched reality.

To match political reality they should have had the Prime Minister steal the Chief's house before the ceremonies, and then have the Chief steal the Prime Minister's wallet after the ceremony. That's Canadian political reality.

:coffeecanuck: :coffeecanuck:
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

fvkasm2x wrote:You need Chinese in BC more than you need French buddy. Nobody cares about that langauge in this countery outside of Quebec and half of Ontario.

While this event is in BC, the rest of the world (including the rest of this country) views this as a Canadian event. The "nobody" you talk about, make up over a fifth of the population. That doesn't include the rest of the country who speak French as a second language.
fvkasm2x wrote:It made little sense to include so much French.

Really? You honestly, don't see the sense in including translations to a language that over 20% of the population speaks and is constitutionally enshrined as a second official language.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

More protests on Granville. Smashing some windows of Eatons/Bay (?) reported. Makes me proud to be Canadian (as I wipe a tear of joy from my eye). Living harmoniously with Indians and running around wheat fields with wires strapped to our waists with 3 of 4 superman fortress of solitude crystal thingys coming out of the ground that we set on fire. :dyinglaughing:
Find something to give a damn about!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

logicalview wrote: Ohhmmmm, Oohhhmmmm, Ohmmmmm,

Oh all mighty one. Help me predict my future. Tell me that I will be rich and famous.

That one is sadly easy as well. Sorry logical. You're not going to be rich and famous, and it only gets worse from there. I don't want you dwelling on that though. You enjoy your time of denial.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Feb 13th, 2010, 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Trump presidency would be Putin's wet dream
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

nolanrh wrote: ..., it's great to see the Aboriginal aspect of Canadian culture honoured as it deserves to be. If only the respect we portrayed to the world last night matched reality.

:smt023
A Trump presidency would be Putin's wet dream
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Cateyes wrote:More protests on Granville. Smashing some windows of Eatons/Bay (?) reported. Makes me proud to be Canadian (as I wipe a tear of joy from my eye). Living harmoniously with Indians and running around wheat fields with wires strapped to our waists with 3 of 4 superman fortress of solitude crystal thingys coming out of the ground that we set on fire. :dyinglaughing:

lol

now that the mud and slush olympics have begun you'll be missing those crystal thingys
I rebuke you in the name of Versace
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

normaM wrote:
Cateyes wrote:More protests on Granville. Smashing some windows of Eatons/Bay (?) reported. Makes me proud to be Canadian (as I wipe a tear of joy from my eye). Living harmoniously with Indians and running around wheat fields with wires strapped to our waists with 3 of 4 superman fortress of solitude crystal thingys coming out of the ground that we set on fire. :dyinglaughing:

lol

now that the mud and slush olympics have begun you'll be missing those crystal thingys

Slush? You are being far too optimistic. It's over 10C in Van right now. 4C on Cypress. Nothing but rain in the forecast for the next 2 weeks. Even that pristine yuppie snow helicoptered in from Manning park can't survive that.
Last edited by Cateyes on Feb 13th, 2010, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

All the moaning and groaning on the forums about the olympics is brutal. Watching the ceremony last night was fantastic. I thought they did a good job of represanting Canada. The whole thing was great, leaves on the floor, the river flowing through, and when those orcas swam through it was amazing. We should be proud to be hosting these olympics, Canada is a stage for the world to play on for the next 16 days and we should embrace it. Watching the opening last night made me proud to be canadian and you all should be to.

GO CANADA GO!!!
:nyah: :nyah: :nyah: :nyah: :nyah:
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Fixer 166 wrote:All the moaning and groaning on the forums about the olympics is brutal. Watching the ceremony last night was fantastic. I thought they did a good job of represanting Canada. The whole thing was great, leaves on the floor, the river flowing through, and when those orcas swam through it was amazing. We should be proud to be hosting these olympics, Canada is a stage for the world to play on for the next 16 days and we should embrace it. Watching the opening last night made me proud to be canadian and you all should be to.

GO CANADA GO!!!

CTV already dropping the ball. Their coverage has been horrid and it's not even the end of day 1.

Can't find that Kd lang video anywhere! Deleted on youtube as soon as it's posted. NBC has the whole opening ceremonies up but you gotta go through a US proxy server to watch it which is a PiTA. Meanwhile CTV is asleep at the wheel. No opening ceremonies video to be found anywhere on their site. The official broadcaster does not have the video posted....*bleep*?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

For those on this thread who have nothing better to do. Then b*tch and complain go p*ss off the posters in here viewforum.php?f=52
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Cateyes wrote:
Fixer 166 wrote:All the moaning and groaning on the forums about the olympics is brutal. Watching the ceremony last night was fantastic. I thought they did a good job of represanting Canada. The whole thing was great, leaves on the floor, the river flowing through, and when those orcas swam through it was amazing. We should be proud to be hosting these olympics, Canada is a stage for the world to play on for the next 16 days and we should embrace it. Watching the opening last night made me proud to be canadian and you all should be to.

GO CANADA GO!!!

CTV already dropping the ball. Their coverage has been horrid and it's not even the end of day 1.

Can't find that Kd lang video anywhere! Deleted on youtube as soon as it's posted. NBC has the whole opening ceremonies up but you gotta go through a US proxy server to watch it which is a PiTA. Meanwhile CTV is asleep at the wheel. No opening ceremonies video to be found anywhere on their site. The official broadcaster does not have the video posted....*bleep*?

:crocodiletears:
Grow up.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

nolanrh wrote:I thought the first nations bits were a little over the top, only because it seemed to misrepresent us as a nation living harmoniously together. Seating the first nations chiefs with the prime minister doesn't seem to fit with the political reality in Canada and its unfair to pretend otherwise. That being said, it's great to see the Aboriginal aspect of Canadian culture honoured as it deserves to be (emphasis added). If only the respect we portrayed to the world last night matched reality.

There was more wrong with it than that. The native aspect of Canadian culture was vastly over-represented and left a distorted impression of Canada's cultural makeup at the expense of the nation's other cultural aspects. Using forums like the Owelympics to try to compensate for past practices is both patronizing and insulting to all Canadians.

As for the French being given first billing in the West, it was irksome but apparently is IOC policy (French being its official language) in nations where French is an official language. Why that should be is far from clear to me.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”