Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
User avatar
westsidebud
Lord of the Board
Posts: 3808
Joined: Jul 18th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by westsidebud »

Homeownertoo wrote:
Nebula wrote:It was worth $6 billion. Every penny of it. I, and a lot of other people, got something difficult to measure out of these games.

Just want to point out that such a statement is non-sensical. All you or I or anyone can say is that they were worth your contribution (which I assume was less than $6 billion) -- in other words, what you got out of them was more than you have to pay. Everyone else has the similar right and ability to state otherwise -- assuming we even know the correct figure. And if it was difficult to measure, all the more reason to doubt the validity of such a statement.

nope u cant put a price tag on inspiring even one single person to try and be a better person, or to try harder when things seem bad.

to look at other ppl and realize we alll on this planet together. the price of the games doesnt matter, what matters is did canada host a succsesfull games for alll the countries that entered? did canadians show humility when they won? did we set the bar high for future games? did the games put dreams of glory in some canadians that mabey thought glory was out of their reach? infact i think canada reminded the world once again that its far better to try and work together with your neighbours than to fight with them, because if us canadians had spent our time fighting over the games , they would not have had the succses we did . again bravo canada
GO CANUCKS GO
Liberty and Truth

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Liberty and Truth »

westsidebud wrote:
Homeownertoo wrote:
Nebula wrote:It was worth $6 billion. Every penny of it. I, and a lot of other people, got something difficult to measure out of these games.

Just want to point out that such a statement is non-sensical. All you or I or anyone can say is that they were worth your contribution (which I assume was less than $6 billion) -- in other words, what you got out of them was more than you have to pay. Everyone else has the similar right and ability to state otherwise -- assuming we even know the correct figure. And if it was difficult to measure, all the more reason to doubt the validity of such a statement.

nope u cant put a price tag on inspiring even one single person to try and be a better person, or to try harder when things seem bad.

to look at other ppl and realize we alll on this planet together. the price of the games doesnt matter, what matters is did canada host a succsesfull games for alll the countries that entered? did canadians show humility when they won? did we set the bar high for future games? did the games put dreams of glory in some canadians that mabey thought glory was out of their reach? infact i think canada reminded the world once again that its far better to try and work together with your neighbours than to fight with them, because if us canadians had spent our time fighting over the games , they would not have had the succses we did . again bravo canada


:hailjo:
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by NAB »

While I don't begrudge those who like hockey the enjoyment of the game and related hype, personally I don't think it should be part of the Olympics. Nor should any "team" sports endeavour for that matter (winter or summer), since in my view they detract from the celebration of individual perfection in competition, which I see as the real goal and meaning of the Olympics. When it comes to hockey in particular, it's not as though we don't get a more than adequate diet of it here in North America anyway. Also, so few countries can be participants that to me it makes a bit of a mockery of the claim by the winners being "best in the world". Something like the Americans and their "World Series" LOL.

It's not as though the participants are in many cases are truly the product of the country represented through their uniforms anyway.

So the thought crosses my mind.... if hockey were eliminated as an Olympic "sport" what the result would be? I suspect the groupy herd "party atmosphere" would be far more subdued, the growing "commercialization" of the games far less of a factor, and certainly the cost of staging the Olympics far less of an issue since the attendance, traffic, and resulting party crowds would much be smaller.

I was struck by reports of what Russia is forced to plan for by the IOC and faces over the next 4 years in terms of accelerated construction in preparation for the 2014 winter games, ...as they use the Winter Olympics (and the money it generates) as an excuse to further develop a seaside sea to sky resort almost from scratch for enhanced use mainly by their elite afterwards. I guess throwing it open to the world for a couple of weeks is a small price to pay in return, much like we (or rather Vancouver) have/has just survived.

Nab

(waiver: Obviously I am not a rabid hockey fan. But that should have little to do with anything, in fact should be a plus, ...since being one would influence my opinion ;-) )
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49701
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Bsuds »

NAB wrote:(waiver: Obviously I am not a rabid hockey fan. But that should have little to do with anything, in fact should be a plus, ...since being one would influence my opinion ;-) )


But it seems that for not being a hockey fan, you certainly have voiced some negative comments on the game and the players at the Olympics. So now that we know you are not a fan then you obviously don't know what you are commenting on.
DILLIGAF
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by NAB »

Bsuds wrote:
NAB wrote:(waiver: Obviously I am not a rabid hockey fan. But that should have little to do with anything, in fact should be a plus, ...since being one would influence my opinion ;-) )


But it seems that for not being a hockey fan, you certainly have voiced some negative comments on the game and the players at the Olympics. So now that we know you are not a fan then you obviously don't know what you are commenting on.


\Nice try suds, but you obviously overlooked the word "rabid" and, seeing an opening to get a cheap personal shot in, obviously missed the whole point of the post too. ;-)

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Mar 1st, 2010, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
Posts: 49701
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Bsuds »

I did miss that..sorry..but I still think you know naught of what you speak (or write)! :127:
DILLIGAF
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by NAB »

Bsuds wrote:I did miss that..sorry..but I still think you know naught of what you speak (or write)! :127:


It may appear that way to someone who doesn't take the time to read and try to understand another point of view. :127:
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by grammafreddy »

I'm going to stand beside Nab on this one.

My sentiment is that governments should not be involved in the Olympics at all. No government funding, no government posturing, no political maneuvering and manipulating.

Plus - these "games" were a lot more "real" before all the pros got involved with competing. That killed it for me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Catz
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12731
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:44 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Catz »

No offence, but TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.
This is about the hockey game, and god knows there are tonnes of other friggin places to be negative about the games.
We get it, now...can I savour the victory of the friggin game?
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18505
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by JLives »

I'm not a big hockey fan either but I watched and enjoyed every second of the game. Welll except for that 2nd US goal perhaps. After it was over people were walking down the street hooting and hollering and dirivng by honking and waving flags out the window. I loved the how connected we all were yesterday and hopefully some of that carried over to today.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by grammafreddy »

Puffy wrote:No offence, but TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE.
This is about the hockey game, and god knows there are tonnes of other friggin places to be negative about the games.
We get it, now...can I savour the victory of the friggin game?


No offense, either, Puffy, but you only get to celebrate because the taxpayers were forced to pay for the damn thing.

So, maybe you could take a chill pill and let those of us who object to this kind of foolishness keep our earnings instead of having to pay for your parties.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
JLives
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 18505
Joined: Nov 27th, 2004, 10:53 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by JLives »

That is understandable GF but does it have to be in EVERY Olympic related thread. Let the people celebrate. It's a done deal now, what is constantly reminding people how one was not supportive of the games going to accomplish at this point?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Catz
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12731
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:44 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Catz »

*removed - Jennylives
Catz
Walks on Forum Water
Posts: 12731
Joined: Dec 8th, 2006, 5:44 am

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Catz »

I have already hit the report button on myself...this is a *&%%&** joke. :ohmygod:
Liberty and Truth

Re: Podium pondering: Mens Olympic Hockey

Post by Liberty and Truth »

grammafreddy wrote:
So, maybe you could take a chill pill and let those of us who object to this kind of foolishness keep our earnings instead of having to pay for your parties.


I'll agree to that if you then also opt out of your share of any and all positive economic benefits the government receives from these Games. How about we just all sit in our houses moldering until we die and never do anything ever again - that way no one is forced to pay for anything or take any risks to accomplish anything and we are all equal - equally dead of emotion, pride or desire to make our world a better place. On second thought - I like my side of the fence just fine. So opt out all you want GF - but anyone can choose the "do nothing" option to any sort of innovation that requires that we all pitch in together via government funding - and the do nothing option is fine but it's also the coward's option - one that far too many people are eager to accept as they don't want to take any risks. Unfortunately for you, and a few other doomsayers on this board, the coward's way just isn't the Canadian way - as we just showed on the world stage - in case you weren't paying attention. I just hope Quebec City gets it together and applies for the 2026 Winter Games - I'll book my tickets right now!! :)

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”