"More French in the ceremonies"

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: "More French in the ceremonies"

Post by rookie314 »

French was spoken first because no one would understand it so when the English version was said we all could cheer. If the English went first the cheering would have drowned out the French version and then they would have complained about that. Must be tough being French. All you have to do all day is complain.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: "More French in the ceremonies"

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

:coffeecanuck:

Hard to argue with that. :)
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
MADGE
Fledgling

Re: Olympics need more french???

Post by MADGE »

Things have changed now in Vancouver, They now have Maderin classes in school. You can take different languages as the population has several people from other Countries. Can you imagine if they all wanted us to speak their language. Wow. That is why English is spoken all over the world as a Universal language.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

MADGE wrote:Things have changed now in Vancouver, They now have Maderin classes in school. You can take different languages as the population has several people from other Countries. Can you imagine if they all wanted us to speak their language. Wow. That is why English is spoken all over the world as a Universal language.

I agree.

If language were based solely on population we'd all be speaking Chinese.

Instead we see the most dominant global ethnic group striving to learn English. :smt023
monkeybusiness

Post by monkeybusiness »

Russ79 wrote:So one of our ministers thought the olympics needed more french, thats funny i was thinking there was too much, and in the ceremonies, the fact it preceded english i thought was stupid. It makes us look like another french speaking country in the eyes of the world.

I never cared to learn french in school because no one i knew spoke it. We are a primary english speaking society, at least out west and far east. There is just that little island of French in the center of Canada that almost every chance it gets it tries to separate from the rest of Canada. (Yes I'm talking Quebec) Next Quebec referendum I personally hope Quebec separates and we can finally be done with "poor me cause im french" province. I'm sorry i have no love and no patience for bi lingual Canada especially were 80% of us are forced to learn a language and culture that wants nothing to do with us.

Thats what I think, what do you think?

Couldnt agree more. Lets have our own referemdum to vote them out. Watch them beg to come back.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

monkeybusiness wrote:
Russ79 wrote:So one of our ministers thought the olympics needed more french, thats funny i was thinking there was too much, and in the ceremonies, the fact it preceded english i thought was stupid. It makes us look like another french speaking country in the eyes of the world.

I never cared to learn french in school because no one i knew spoke it. We are a primary english speaking society, at least out west and far east. There is just that little island of French in the center of Canada that almost every chance it gets it tries to separate from the rest of Canada. (Yes I'm talking Quebec) Next Quebec referendum I personally hope Quebec separates and we can finally be done with "poor me cause im french" province. I'm sorry i have no love and no patience for bi lingual Canada especially were 80% of us are forced to learn a language and culture that wants nothing to do with us.

Thats what I think, what do you think?

Couldnt agree more. Lets have our own referemdum to vote them out. Watch them beg to come back.

Sure doesn't take much to get the anti French bigots panties in a knot.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
maxx
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by maxx »

The issue here is that our federal system promotes bilingualism in Canada but doesn't demand it in Quebec.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

maxx wrote:The issue here is that our federal system promotes bilingualism in Canada but doesn't demand it in Quebec.

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!! :smt023
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

maxx wrote:The issue here is that our federal system promotes bilingualism in Canada but doesn't demand it in Quebec.
Well when it starts DEMANDING bilingualism in all provinces then they can demand it from Quebec also.!!

Awe how some try and disguise being bigots.!!
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

No-one is being bigot's, they just want Quebec to go *bleep* themselves. Which is completely okay.

Quebecers can go jump off a cliff. Bring back the real french, it's surprising how much of a difference there is between France and Quebec. You can actually speak to "real" french people in english and they will help you with your french words and try to understand you. Go to quebec and try the same them, they will just ignore you. Stupid *bleep*. That is in a business as well for crying outloud.

Now of course not ALL of them are like that.
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

For Canada, the Monarch is officially titled Queen of Canada. Queen Elizabeth the second.

Her representative, the Govenor General head of state , as in each of it's Provinces. England still rules this Country and several others. Whether Quebec like that or not. Does not matter where you come from this is the fact.

The Queen is still the head of the Country. In France they lost the Monarchy. We still sing God save the Queen. We do not sing God save the French European Union.
The people of Quebec want this Country to only be theirs and do not want to share with all the other nations.
Become a Citizen, you pledge allegence to the Queen. she is on our money. Not the French flag.

They can speak French all they want in their Province, but they do not have to Ram it down our throats. What bugged me is that they spoke French first, and English second ,to rub our noses in their language. Hundreds of years ago my heritage is French, Aquataine France. They ended up in England somehow and became British Empire Loylists.

It is not biggotry, it is stop trying to turn this country into France. The American have a second language of Spainish. They do not rub it in your face. I do not here Spainish at their games etc.
Last edited by MADGE on Feb 15th, 2010, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Inate8 wrote:No-one is being bigot's, they just want Quebec to go *bleep* themselves. Which is completely okay.

Quebecers can go jump off a cliff. Bring back the real french, it's surprising how much of a difference there is between France and Quebec. You can actually speak to "real" french people in english and they will help you with your french words and try to understand you. Go to quebec and try the same them, they will just ignore you. Stupid *bleep*. That is in a business as well for crying outloud.

Now of course not ALL of them are like that.
Yes and none of that happens in reverse in english speaking Canada right.?
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

MADGE wrote:For Canada, the Monarch is officially titled Queen of Canada. Queen Elizabeth the second.

Her representative, the Govenor General head of state , as in each of it's Provinces. England still rules this Country and several others. Whether Quebec like that or not. Does not matter where you come from this is the fact.

The Queen is still the head of the Country. In France they lost the Monarchy. We still sing God save the Queen. We do not sing God save the French European Union.
The people of Quebec want this Country to only be theirs and do not want to share with all the other nations.
Become a Citizen, you pledge allegence to the Queen. she is on our money. Not the French flag.

They can speak French all they want in their Province, but they do not have to Ram it down our throats. What bugged me is that they spoke French first, and English second ,to rub our noses in their language. Hundreds of years ago my heritage is French, Aquataine France. They ended up in England somehow and became British Empire Loylists.

It is not biggotry, it is stop trying to turn this country into France. The American have a second language of Spainish. They do not rub it in your face. I do not here Spainish at their games etc.

The Queen.?? :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

She's a nobody in this country , the whole royal family thing is a joke.!!

French is as much a part of Canada as english is, that is unless you choose to be narrow minded.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

repost without auto censor work arounds - Jennylives

Didn't realize I did anything that worked against some pointless auto censor, my apologies for being passively smarter than your censor lol.
Last edited by Loed on Feb 15th, 2010, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

flyerfan2 wrote:The Queen.?? :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

She's a nobody in this country , the whole royal family thing is a joke.!!

French is as much a part of Canada as english is, that is unless you choose to be narrow minded.

French can be that way, tell them to stop being so desperate to leave Canada(good riddance) and maybe they will get more respect.

Also the west coast has never been very French, so why would the games even have the dual language. It's the Olympics, just speak English. Makes things much quicker, and the sooner this travesty gets done with the better.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”