The Glitch Games

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: The Glitch Games

Post by Captain Awesome »

mountain_climber4567 wrote:I'm embarrassed that so many people (Kelownians/Canadians) can only complain about things.

Hey! That's the CANADIAN way, don't you know anything.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

:127:
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Feb 16th, 2010, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

Captain Awesome wrote:
mountain_climber4567 wrote:I'm embarrassed that so many people (Kelownians/Canadians) can only complain about things.

lol...It didn't used to be this way, though. Pride is being replaced with snide. Oh well, it ain't gonna change.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Captain Awesome wrote:

So it would seem.

Those who can't do, *bleep*!
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

animal lover1 wrote:Vancouver-first 3 days

-Hydraulics at opening ceremonies don't work.
-Wayne Gretzky in the back of a pickup in the rain for 15 minutes
-Luger dies in training run
-event postponed due to "wet snow"
-Zamboni pukes hot water TWICE and threatens to ruin (and delays at ??? cost to athletes) the premier event of the winter olympics (500 m)
-28000 tickets Cancelled due to damage to bad venue

I think we can safely say it is embarrassing.

I am not complaining-I Love Sport and I love Canada-this is embarassing-you can't sugar coat it.

Forgot to mention the riots and "demonstrations"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Nebula wrote:Bingo.

1996 Summer Games, Atlanta
* Organized were accused of having major problems dealing with international press.
* Numerous complaints were received about overt commercialsim.
* Bombing, killing one and injuring 111 others.
* Overcrowding in the Olympic village.
* Complaints about the quality of available food.
* Accessibility and convenience of transportation was an issue.

2000 Summer Games, Sydney
* The Olympic cauldron was subject to a technical glitch during the opening ceremony, when a computer switch malfunctioned, causing the cauldron to hang in mid-air for four minutes.
* Gymnast after gymnast fell off the vault during the Women's Gymnastics all-around final. A number of gymnasts were injured. It was finally discovered that someone had set the height of the vault five centimetres too low.

2002 Winter Games, Salt Lake City
* A number of IOC members were forced to resign before the games after it was discovered they had accepted bribes in return for voting for Salt Lake City to hold the games. It became the 2002 Winter Olympic bid scandal.
* A French figure skating judge was thrown out in another scandal.
* More allegations of bribery were leveled against many ice skating judges.

2006 Winter Games, Torino
* The metro was completed just six days before the games began, 45 days late. It did not connect to the main railway station until a year later.
* Metro service stopped at 6 p.m. during the games and did not reach any of the Olympic venues. Bus service was found to be inadequate during night hours.
* A number of alpine competitions were delayed because of heavy snow.
* The Austrian athlete's area was raided by Italian policing, who were looking for drugs.

2008 Summer Games, Beijing
* Accusations that China did not live up to its pledge to allow open media access.
* Air pollution problems in Beijing.

Olympics are huge undertakings. Glitches are going to occur.

Thanks. My point exactly.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

What's your point captain? That there have been far more "glitches" in the first 3 days of the 2010 Olympics than any other?? Cause if that's your point-I agree.

MY point is that most of these glitches could have and SHOULD have been foreseen. You can go back in this very forum and find instances where predictions were made that matched exactly some of the issues that have happened. Cypress mtn should never have been a venue, the luge run WAS dangerous, weather is not predictable, but so many other things were.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Ok-I will quit bitchin-IGGY hattrick-Go Canada Go
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

animal lover1 wrote:What's your point captain? That there have been far more "glitches" in the first 3 days of the 2010 Olympics than any other?? Cause if that's your point-I agree.

My point was exactly what I've said before - no event of this magnitude goes without glitches. One can find glitches with everything and anything. Some will be valid, some will be laughable (see pickup truck comment and demonstrations). It gets boring after a while, so yeah...yawn.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:

So it would seem. Those who can't do, *bleep*!

True. Except in this case a very significant portion of the bitching is coming from the international community and not Canada. I guess we could say "Who cares what they think?' but given the fact this is the Olympics what "they" think was kinda the whole point, wasn't it ?

Hey, I’m not saying this to grind my axe. I admit I have always considered this fiasco to be a huge waste and obscene misspending of our tax dollars, but I have also maintained that now it is here I would sincerely hope we were somehow (despite all odds) be able to pull off a great show we could be proud of. No matter how anti-Campbell or anti-Vanoc or anti-elitist I am, I am also a proud Canadian and despite how badly I am embarrassed by our government I always hope for our best to come forward. No matter how anti-Olympic I am, I have been hoping for some sort of a miracle so we wouldn’t be embarrassed on the international stage. Unfortunately, that miracle never came. Quite the contrary in fact it seems and that is really too bad.

The bottom line is that it is the world who is judging us and they are judging this as “the worst Winter Olympics ever”. Engage in as much denial and rationalization as you require. By tomorrow international journalists will be backpedalling saying they didn’t mean it that way (“what way?) and you can reinforce your denial.

I’m sure there is still a lot of partying to be had, and I’m trusting our buddy Captain is going to have the time of his life attending an Olympic play-off hockey game – at least I truly hope so. And if he happens to run into some protestors down there I hope he remembers he’s a 6 foot 4 Olympic powerlifter and street-fighting God and does us all proud.

I know you actually look tougher in real life Captain. Give those losers hell !!!
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Ok-I can buy that. I think the issue for me is I desperately wanted to see this go off without many problems, and it seems every day there is another MAJOR problem. You have to admit that most of these things are not just glitches.

I found the Gretzky in a pickup truck thing to be my trigger.......I thought it to be one of the least thought-out, difficult to watch activities. You would think that with the money spent, something better could have been come up with.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Well stated Steven
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

I found the Gretzky in a pickup truck thing to be my trigger.......I thought it to be one of the least thought-out, difficult to watch activities. You would think that with the money spent, something better could have been come up with.

Why? Whats wrong withit? You never road in the back of a pickup? You never been in the rain? He isn't made of sugar, he ain't gonna melt. You haven't posted anything which states that any of the problems listed are MAJOR!!

Ice Machine leaks. They have to wait 1 1/2 hours to skate. After 4 years they have to wait 1 and one half hour. Hardly major.

Unfortuntley an athlete is killed. Here's somethng amazing, the LUGE is a dangerous event!!! They move the start to the ladies and the athletes overwelming complain about the track being lame.

The bottom line is that it is the world who is judging us and they are judging this as “the worst Winter Olympics ever”.

Buddy of mine and his wife went to Vancouver this weekend from Seattle. Spent well over $1000 for the weekend and they had the time of their lives!! Had them on the phone for over an hour last night listening to them gush about what a great time they had.

In conclusion, the bottom line is, your spouting a bunch of rubbish and I am not buying it. GO CANADA.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

rookie314 wrote:

Why? Whats wrong withit? You never road in the back of a pickup? You never been in the rain? He isn't made of sugar, he ain't gonna melt. You haven't posted anything which states that any of the problems listed are MAJOR!!

Ice Machine leaks. They have to wait 1 1/2 hours to skate. After 4 years they have to wait 1 and one half hour. Hardly major.

Unfortuntley an athlete is killed. Here's somethng amazing, the LUGE is a dangerous event!!! They move the start to the ladies and the athletes overwelming complain about the track being lame.

The bottom line is that it is the world who is judging us and they are judging this as “the worst Winter Olympics ever”.

Buddy of mine and his wife went to Vancouver this weekend from Seattle. Spent well over $1000 for the weekend and they had the time of their lives!! Had them on the phone for over an hour last night listening to them gush about what a great time they had.

In conclusion, the bottom line is, your spouting a bunch of rubbish and I am not buying it. GO CANADA.

That's great for your friends. I have also had several friends report on the great atmosphere and truly enjoyed the events. That is exactly what I want to hear. Problem is, that's not what those of us NOT there are hearing-which is my point.

Trust me, I am in front of the tube for the entire 2 weeks yelling and screaming "Go Canada Go". I am a sports fanatic and want our athletes to have the time of their lives.

It is the organization (Vanoc and IOC) that are the culprits.

I, personally, am disappointed in them because of the "glitches" and the way we are now portrayed. Unfortunately, the wonderful performances by our athletes are being overshadowed by the "glitches".

Just my opinion-take it for what it is worth.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

rookie314 wrote: In conclusion, the bottom line is, your spouting a bunch of rubbish and I am not buying it. GO CANADA.

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blog ... gular.aspx

There's much more out there but I don't want to spoil your buzz. Go Canada !!!

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”