The Glitch Games

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: The Glitch Games

Post by steelrules »

Canadian Girls do ROCK!
And the IOC. can take their investigation and complaints and shove it up thier collective sphincter.

old-bushman wrote:I love it. I absolutely love it. Sitting on the ice drinking beer and smoking cigars after winning gold in olympic hockey. CANADIAN GIRLS ROCK!
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

As I predicted, the negative reviews have returned with the rain.
http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arch ... ada/36596/
Find something to give a damn about!
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Cateyes wrote:As I predicted, the negative reviews have returned with the rain.

You know, I was on your side initially Cateyes, there were a lot of problems early on. I too, was not happy with the expense of the games. Have there been glitches?-yes.

Since then, however, I have been watching our athletes excel proudly, my friends rave about their experiences in Vancouver, and world media (with some exceptions) rave about the beauty of our province and the good job done by the organizers.

I have seen a few of these negative articles-there are negative articles about everything in the world.

You, Cateyes, must spend hours searching the net for bad things to support your BiTTER BITTER life. I, for one am sick of it and you have earned yourself an "ignore".

Life is too short to dwell on or listen to negative bitter people like you. I think we all get the point-you hate the Olympics!!!!! :sadist:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Well at least the Athletes won't run out of condoms. Probably several dozen used up by the Canadian womens hockey team last night. I'm sure the Soviet Mens Hockey team made good use of them when they (reportedly) visited the Fox's Den (Vancouver Brothel) last week.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/blogs/postbl ... letes.html
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

animal lover1 wrote:
Cateyes wrote:As I predicted, the negative reviews have returned with the rain.

You know, I was on your side initially Cateyes, there were a lot of problems early on. I too, was not happy with the expense of the games. Have there been glitches?-yes.

Since then, however, I have been watching our athletes excel proudly, my friends rave about their experiences in Vancouver, and world media (with some exceptions) rave about the beauty of our province and the good job done by the organizers.

I have seen a few of these negative articles-there are negative articles about everything in the world.

You, Cateyes, must spend hours searching the net for bad things to support your BiTTER BITTER life. I, for one am sick of it and you have earned yourself an "ignore".

Life is too short to dwell on or listen to negative bitter people like you. I think we all get the point-you hate the Olympics!!!!! :sadist:

Not hours, more like seconds. When it pops up on front page Google news it's hard to miss. Look into it.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Hey Cateyes- Neeennnerrr neeennneer neeeneerrrr!!! Hows the crow tasting!!!!! Or how does in feel to be in the vast minority?? You know whats easy about being a cynic? No one expects much and you sure delivered!!!!

CANADA ROCCCCCKKKKKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

I predict that Olympic discussions are going to be much different now that the party is over.

I look at the Olympics similar to a 19 year old going clubbing for the first time. It's one hell of a party and it makes a person feel awesome when you are in the middle of it all. You feel like a star and you feel a part of something. You get consumed by all of the excitement like a commodity you can't get enough of. The 2010 Olympics in particular brought a lot of Canadians together.

However, when you wake up with a hangover the next day you don't feel that well once you find out how much damage you did the night before. In this case it's one heck of a tab. How much of it all was put on credit? When adding the successes and subtracting the glitches, was it really worth the pricetag? History will eventually be the judge of that.

I think that it's far too early to tell whether this Olympics was a success or not. Right now people have not gone to bed and woken up with an Olympic hangover just yet. Wait until the next budget is released by both the Provincial and Federal Governments to see if people still have Olympic fever.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

So we were intoxicated with the Olympics and all things Canada. I don't think its so bad that we let loose and allow pride to take over once per century. The last time I remember feeling drunk with patriotism was in 1972... the Russians... Henderson... the goal.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: The Glitch

Post by eyepop »

Nebula wrote: I don't think its so bad that we let loose and allow pride to take over...

indeed.

one should feel proud of their accomplishments and efforts.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:So we were intoxicated with the Olympics and all things Canada. I don't think its so bad that we let loose and allow pride to take over once per century. The last time I remember feeling drunk with patriotism was in 1972... the Russians... Henderson... the goal.

The trouble with "drunk with patriotism" is that some drunks do some mighty stupid things.

It's kinda like the drunk who drives his vehicle into a crowd of people - he may survive but the crowd pays the price.

And in this case, man, are we gonna be paying for that drunk.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Not so glitchy?

Canada's golden Games leave critics red-faced

By Peter O'Neil, Canwest News Europe CorrespondentMarch 1, 2010 1:25 PM

Own the Podium inspired Canadians to 'dream big dreams,' and in the process helped Team Canada bring home 14 gold medals -- twice as many as they've ever earned before in a Winter

Canada's record-breaking gold medal grab, and the wave of flag-waving enthusiasm that accompanied it, appeared to both impress and startle the once-critical international media.

Most European sports pages and websites publish standings based on the highest number of gold medals taken, so many media outlets ranked Canada first Monday even though Canadian athletes ranked third in the total number of gold, silver and bronze medals won.

The London Times, which on Feb. 18 ridiculed Canada's “Calamity Games,” paid grudging respect to one of the British and U.S. media's main targets: the Own The Podium federal program to fund elite athletes.

“Canada has owned that bloody thing,” wrote columnist Rick Broadbent.

And he said Russia, host of the Winter Games in 2014, will have a tough time matching the 2010 Games.

“A man died, the weather played havoc with the schedule, a mountain was a near disaster of a venue, and the Olympic flame, a beacon of sport's importance to all, was locked away behind a wire fence. The British media was hammered for reporting this, but it merited it,” he wrote in Monday's Times.

“But these Olympics have been a huge success on numerous other levels. The action was riveting and the fans took it to heart. If they were fervently patriotic, veering on jingoistic, so what?”

The Guardian's columnist Lawrence Donegan, who on Feb. 15 rashly declared that Canada was en route to hosting “the worst Games ever,” timidly avoided mentioning that prediction as he rather weakly repeated his criticisms of Vancouver Organizing Committee chief executive John Furlong.

“Yet if Furlong and his team were occasionally found wanting, the Vancouver public was not,” Donegan conceded.

“After Beijing, where the connection between the Games and the host city was so tenuous it was virtually unnoticeable, this compact, beautiful city has embraced the Games unambiguously (give or take a small - very small - minority of anti-Games protesters).”

The Paris-based International Herald Tribune, the global version of The New York Times, ran a front page story Monday - “Sputtering at first, Olympic flame glows” - that provided a far different flavour to mostly negative headlines in its Games coverage.

The International Herald Tribune's online wrap of the Games Monday began: “The Olympics that started under the cloud of an athlete's death ended Sunday, much more joyously than they had begun.”

The media in the rest of Europe has generally been far more upbeat than the British, paying far less attention to organizational and weather problems. Instead, they focused on the performance of their national teams - who almost to a country performed better than the woeful British team and its one-medal output.

The French media, while it did cover complaints about the lack of French at the opening ceremonies, remarked several times about the fervent and seemingly uncharacteristic flag-waving by Canadians.

“Canadian patriotism is the great winner of the Olympic Games,” declared a recent Le Monde headline above a story which, rather more critically, said that for a country that has questioned its own national identity, “Canada has no lessons to learn in the area of chauvinism.”

The German media, though it criticized Canada for allegedly hogging practice time on its facilities before the Olympics, was overwhelmingly positive.

Monday's German papers quoted at length comments from Thomas Bach, the head of the German Olympic Committee, who praised Canada's multicultural society and said the men's gold-medal hockey win Sunday represented an “almost Hollywood-style happy ending for Canada.”

It will take significant post-Games research to determine the lasting impact of the Games on Canada's image.

The University of Ottawa's Evan Potter, in his 2009 book Branding Canada, took a critical look at the lack of financial resources spent by the Canadian government abroad to advance its image - and interests - through “public diplomacy.”

That is a term used in the diplomatic world to describe a variety of efforts - including scholarships, tours by artists, media relations campaigns and the like - that are aimed at boosting a country's international image and convincing other nations, and populations, to take heed of its interests.

Potter wrote that the results of a successful Olympic Games will dwarf all the incremental efforts by diplomats to wave their country's flag overseas.

“Branding a country positively through sport packs considerable punch and provides a foundation of goodwill that assists public affairs officers at missions,” Potter wrote, citing Australia's soaring image after the successful 2000 Summer Games in Sydney.

“A country that was off most people's radar screens suddenly saw its nation brand “advance by 10 years” - meaning that what the world knew about Australia in 2000, it would not have known for another decade without the Games.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Watch this video - I love it - sums it up perfectly:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.h ... e9&cid=rss

"Turns out - the swagger was already there - it was just waiting for the right stage. " DAMN STRAIGHT
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Liberty and Truth wrote:Watch this video - I love it - sums it up perfectly:

"Turns out - the swagger was already there - it was just waiting for the right stage. " DAMN STRAIGHT

That link is useless.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

whatisupcastanet wrote:

That link is useless.

??? Works fine for me.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
whatisupcastanet wrote:

That link is useless.

??? Works fine for me.

Silverlight does not for me, I not going to buy new computer so that MS sh*t will work.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”