The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
User avatar
Nebula
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16288
Joined: Jul 6th, 2005, 9:52 am

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Nebula »

Oooooooh. Mysterious.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
User avatar
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 16575
Joined: Nov 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by MAPearce »

Ok I geuss I'll join this debate by stating that
1)The 2010 Olympic games were a brainchild of the NDP,Not Gordo the Greedy as many would like the public to think.
2)Remember not so far back when the economy was flush with cash and fed the housing market and oil market,technology and other markets?Then it tanked,right?
3)Expo 86.
Now,remembering that the 2010 games was/is the brainchild of the Glenn Clarke NDP(he was present to represent the province of BC to the IOC during the selection process) It makes me wonder how long the memory of the voters of BC actually is,and why is everyone so quick to blame ol Gordo.If anyone remembers the same sort of right wing gov't called social credit,they will surely remember Bill Van der Scams "Restraint"policies.They were a result of a poor economy and a need to cut spending in general.Much like the times we are facing right now.Than come Expo 86.That huge world exposition that cost a TON of money that many nay sayers said was just a waste of money.Well that waste of money fuelled the BC economy for many many years.Not only did it give trades people jobs when they need them the most,it provided them with jobs for along time.I'll even go as far as to say it provided jobs right up to this current reccesion.It did so by giving BC exsposure to world markets that didn't know BC even existed.
It is my opinion that the Olympics are just the very same.They have provided trades,and technical workers living wages to support their families when they needed it the most.Everyone screams that gov't must do things to keep the economy going and people working.Hosting the Olympics and building for them did that.The boom that happened after Expo 86 will happen after the 2010 games.Just wait,more orchards plowwed under to make way for new homes,just like the one that line Glenmore rd. between Yates and Kane.More wineries,hotels,malls etc.Just wait.It will happen.Just have faith.The Party has just begun....
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by NAB »

Even the COC know the party is over and are already looking ahead instead of back. And the doused Olympic flame burners in Vancouver are probably still warm...

Excerpts:

""COC aiming high for London 2012

VANCOUVER - After a record gold medal haul and the lift from Canada's most successful Olympics ever, sports leaders are aiming for a top-12 finish for Canadian athletes at the 2012 London Summer Games.

That could translate to a haul of 20 medals - or more.

``We're going for rank,'' says Michael Chambers, outgoing president of the Canadian Olympic Committee.

``We're going to London hoping and wishing and preparing that our team finish in the top 12 countries in terms of total medals at those Games, whatever that total may be. It's probably in the high teens, low 20s, but what the actual number is depends on the spread of medals at the Games. We look at rank because we want to know where we are in relation to our competition.''
Full article: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=54867.html
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

flamingfingers wrote:
BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.


Typical comment by someone who has never left Canada. Who is "they" - if you are talking about all of the countries that were at the Olympics - then no - "they" didn't know about BC at all before coming here - that is total trash. Americans who live an hour away from us barely knew anything about us, so why would people from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Russia, Germany, South Korea, Japan, China, France, Czech Republic....etc etc etc...know about BC, or Canada. They know about us now - and they are going to come back, now that they know how awesome it is here - the secret is finally out.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by steven lloyd »

MAPearce wrote: 3)Expo 86. ... Well that waste of money fuelled the BC economy for many many years.Not only did it give trades people jobs when they need them the most,it provided them with jobs for along time.I'll even go as far as to say it provided jobs right up to this current reccesion.It did so by giving BC exsposure to world markets that didn't know BC even existed.


That's quite the claim Ma. I wonder if there is any real data to back that up. I will acknowledge that Expo 86 (I was there and loved it - rode that "Blue Monster" twenty times) may have given BC exposure "to world markets that didn't know BC even existed". That might be true. However, those world markets have known BC has existed since Expo 86 and we didn't need to spend $6 billion, $8 billion, $ 10 billion or even $12 billion (Who knows? Who's telling?) to remind them.
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by NAB »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:
BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.


Typical comment by someone who has never left Canada. Who is "they" - if you are talking about all of the countries that were at the Olympics - then no - "they" didn't know about BC at all before coming here - that is total trash. Americans who live an hour away from us barely knew anything about us, so why would people from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Russia, Germany, South Korea, Japan, China, France, Czech Republic....etc etc etc...know about BC, or Canada. They know about us now - and they are going to come back, now that they know how awesome it is here - the secret is finally out.


Who is "they"? Seems flaming... specifically mentioned "investors".

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

grammafreddy wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
Ooooookay .... how do you propose this all goes forward?

How will we all derive benefit and who will provide that benefit?

What kind of timeline do you envision your ride to riches to roll on?

If you've made the wave, how do you plan to keep that wave moving forward and stay on your surfboard?

That is what I really, really want to know. Well that, and how much more money are ya gonna need to accomplish whatever you think is going to happen now.



My query to Nebula stands for all of you. Anybody want to chime in with "The Great Plan"? You are all predicting a wonderful rags to riches story, so you must see how it will come about. Please share. Or, like Nebula, just ride the wave until it peters out.


What's the point GF? Even if the government runs a $2 billion surplus for the next 10 years straight you'll just say that the government is lying to you and "hiding" things. If you don't want to listen, you'll never hear anyway. So there is no point. You just don't get it - what this Olympics meant to this country. You want to focus on the short term, and cry about having to "pay" for it - boo hoo - if you don't like the Olympics, then move to a country that has no pride in itself, and doesn't meet IOC standards to hold an Olympics. Then you can be happy because they will never hold an Olympics, and you won't have to worry about "paying" for it.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by steven lloyd »

Liberty and Truth wrote: What's the point GF? Even if the government runs a $2 billion surplus for the next 10 years straight you'll just say that the government is lying to you and "hiding" things. If you don't want to listen, you'll never hear anyway. So there is no point. You just don't get it - what this Olympics meant to this country. You want to focus on the short term, and cry about having to "pay" for it - boo hoo - if you don't like the Olympics, then move to a country that has no pride in itself, and doesn't meet IOC standards to hold an Olympics. Then you can be happy because they will never hold an Olympics, and you won't have to worry about "paying" for it.

Aw come on ben. That rebuttal is so ridiculous it seems desperate. It's like ben and cateyes, matter and anti-matter (notice how I made you "matter" - you can thank me later)
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

NAB wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:
BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.


Typical comment by someone who has never left Canada. Who is "they" - if you are talking about all of the countries that were at the Olympics - then no - "they" didn't know about BC at all before coming here - that is total trash. Americans who live an hour away from us barely knew anything about us, so why would people from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Russia, Germany, South Korea, Japan, China, France, Czech Republic....etc etc etc...know about BC, or Canada. They know about us now - and they are going to come back, now that they know how awesome it is here - the secret is finally out.


Who is "they"? Seems flaming... specifically mentioned "investors".

Nab


right - ok - still - my point stands - investors around the world didn't know about us. They do now.
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

steven lloyd wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote: What's the point GF? Even if the government runs a $2 billion surplus for the next 10 years straight you'll just say that the government is lying to you and "hiding" things. If you don't want to listen, you'll never hear anyway. So there is no point. You just don't get it - what this Olympics meant to this country. You want to focus on the short term, and cry about having to "pay" for it - boo hoo - if you don't like the Olympics, then move to a country that has no pride in itself, and doesn't meet IOC standards to hold an Olympics. Then you can be happy because they will never hold an Olympics, and you won't have to worry about "paying" for it.

Aw come on ben. That rebuttal is so ridiculous it seems desperate. It's like ben and cateyes, matter and anti-matter (notice how I made you "matter" - you can thank me later)


What is ridiculous? GF saying that my family was going to end up in line at the Food Bank because of the Olympics - now THAT was ridiculous.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by steven lloyd »

Liberty and Truth wrote: right - ok - still - my point stands - investors around the world didn't know about us. They do now.


Well, I don't know what astute investors did not know about us but there has been some positive short-term impact it seems:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

steven lloyd wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote: right - ok - still - my point stands - investors around the world didn't know about us. They do now.


Well, I don't know what astute investors did not know about us but there has been some positive short-term impact it seems:

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loca ... lumbiaHome


why would investors know about us? We are just one tiny part of a giant world. There's lot of other places in the world to "know" about - and it's hard to get above the noise floor. Now we have done that.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by steven lloyd »

Liberty and Truth wrote: What is ridiculous? GF saying that my family was going to end up in line at the Food Bank because of the Olympics - now THAT was ridiculous.

Sorry, I didn't see that in her post (or an answer to any of her questions in yours):

grammafreddy wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:
Ooooookay .... how do you propose this all goes forward?

How will we all derive benefit and who will provide that benefit?

What kind of timeline do you envision your ride to riches to roll on?

If you've made the wave, how do you plan to keep that wave moving forward and stay on your surfboard?

That is what I really, really want to know. Well that, and how much more money are ya gonna need to accomplish whatever you think is going to happen now.


My query to Nebula stands for all of you. Anybody want to chime in with "The Great Plan"? You are all predicting a wonderful rags to riches story, so you must see how it will come about. Please share. Or, like Nebula, just ride the wave until it peters out.
User avatar
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 19172
Joined: Dec 1st, 2004, 7:38 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by steven lloyd »

Liberty and Truth wrote: why would investors know about us? We are just one tiny part of a giant world. There's lot of other places in the world to "know" about - and it's hard to get above the noise floor. Now we have done that.


Did you know Vancouver is listed as one of the ten most beautiful cities in the world and has been for some time ? It's been a long time since we've lived in the great unknown ben.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/01/22/paris- ... ities.html

Anyways, gotta day job and gotta go to bed. :sleepdeprived:
NAB
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22985
Joined: Apr 19th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by NAB »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
NAB wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:
BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.


Typical comment by someone who has never left Canada. Who is "they" - if you are talking about all of the countries that were at the Olympics - then no - "they" didn't know about BC at all before coming here - that is total trash. Americans who live an hour away from us barely knew anything about us, so why would people from Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Russia, Germany, South Korea, Japan, China, France, Czech Republic....etc etc etc...know about BC, or Canada. They know about us now - and they are going to come back, now that they know how awesome it is here - the secret is finally out.


Who is "they"? Seems flaming... specifically mentioned "investors".

Nab


right - ok - still - my point stands - investors around the world didn't know about us. They do now.


I disagree L & T. Investors (and Governments) and foreign banks are very moxie about Canada and its various opportunities, particularly Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal as a base. If you have travelled much (and moved in the right circles) you would know that.

As for real estate deals being inked during the Olympics, these kind of things happen regularly when there is an excuse (like the Olympics) to get together and negotiate. Often these kinds of things are set up in advance to combine business with pleasure, with a few "perks" thrown in for the prospective customer..

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”