The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

westsidebud wrote:the facts are gordo mis handled our budget from day one. its him who sunk our province, not the games.

the dooomsday ppl said exact same thing about expo 86 and i know from living in vancouver at that time , that it produced way more money being invested in bc than wht expo cost.

and ill repeat again the choice was games or no games, not games or heathcare or games or more jobs, what you nay sayers seem to be forgetting is it was canadas games not bc games, its been paid for , infact i would even say that we will come out ahead. and yes you can say it will create more tourism. more investment ,it did create lotsa jobs building the sites , and prolly helped them companies out to keep ppl hired.


i hoe we bid for the summer games lol vancouver would be perfect for the summer games :spinball:


Vancouver?? Hell no - the summer games should be in Kelowna! Come on now - think big!! :)
User avatar
Bubalouie
Guru
Posts: 7917
Joined: May 18th, 2005, 9:33 am

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Bubalouie »

Like that would ever happen with our "no fun zone" mayor and council.....

I think the olympics will create way more tourism, which in turn keeps people working......
User avatar
ferri
Forum Administrator
Posts: 55939
Joined: May 11th, 2005, 3:21 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by ferri »

Bubalouie wrote:Like that would ever happen with our "no fun zone" mayor and council.....

I think the olympics will create way more tourism, which in turn keeps people working......


i agree! anytime i watched the outdoor events especially i thought of what those sights would do for tourism!!! imagine someone living in a big city seeing all those beautiful mountains on t.v.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
User avatar
Bubalouie
Guru
Posts: 7917
Joined: May 18th, 2005, 9:33 am

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Bubalouie »

I also heard the lady from Tourism Kelowna in an interview, she was there promoting Kelowna and she commented that a lot of the overseas people didn't even realize we had wineries here and she was asked by quite a few of them to send info. regarding Kelowna. So it's not only Vancouver that is going to benefit....I think the Okanagan will too.............a lot of the athletes trained at our ski hills and hockey rinks and I've heard from others that a lot of them have said, they'll be back or that they will tell people how beautiful it is here........
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Captain Awesome »

I think people have to chill out for a bit and wait for official results. Instead of panicking and getting all kinds of freaked out:

- It's going to be $6 Billion!
- No, it's no $10 Billion!
- Hells no, it's up to $12 Billion (latest figure from Chris Shaw who is a bit on crazy side)

I mean, it sure gives you purpose in life to fantasize over how much it's going to cost and how many people will have to eat their own eyeballs because we'll be broke. But. Wouldn't be more productive to discuss facts, not stipulations?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep
Posts: 34299
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by GordonH »

Captain Awesome wrote:I think people have to chill out for a bit and wait for official results. Instead of panicking and getting all kinds of freaked out:

- It's going to be $6 Billion!
- No, it's no $10 Billion!
- Hells no, it's up to $12 Billion (latest figure from Chris Shaw who is a bit on crazy side)

I mean, it sure gives you purpose in life to fantasize over how much it's going to cost and how many people will have to eat their own eyeballs because we'll be broke. But. Wouldn't be more productive to discuss facts, not stipulations?



So true Captain Awesome.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
User avatar
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2685
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:08 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Cateyes »

rookie314 wrote:Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, everything sucks.
-cateyes

And your point is?
Find something to give a damn about!
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22755
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Urbane »

Cateyes, you must feel terrible. The Olympics were a resounding success on so many levels and around the world people are praising Canada and Canadians! What a difficult time to be a cynic.
User avatar
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2685
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:08 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Cateyes »

whatisupcastanet wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I think people have to chill out for a bit and wait for official results. Instead of panicking and getting all kinds of freaked out:

- It's going to be $6 Billion!
- No, it's no $10 Billion!
- Hells no, it's up to $12 Billion (latest figure from Chris Shaw who is a bit on crazy side)

I mean, it sure gives you purpose in life to fantasize over how much it's going to cost and how many people will have to eat their own eyeballs because we'll be broke. But. Wouldn't be more productive to discuss facts, not stipulations?


So true Captain Awesome.

"Pffff....facts, you can prove just about anything with them"
--Homer Simpson

whatis, your entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
CaptureDebt.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Urbane
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 22755
Joined: Jul 8th, 2007, 7:41 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Urbane »

I love it! Adding in infrastructure improvements like the Sea to Sky Highway and new facilities that will be used for generations to come and pretending they were just for the Olympics is hilarious! As I say, it's a tough time to be a cynic. My sympathies Cateyes.
User avatar
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah
Posts: 2685
Joined: Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:08 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Cateyes »

Urbane wrote:I love it! Adding in infrastructure improvements like the Sea to Sky Highway and new facilities that will be used for generations to come and pretending they were just for the Olympics is hilarious! As I say, it's a tough time to be a cynic. My sympathies Cateyes.


Yawn, then take them out. I know simple math like that makes your head hurt but use a calculator to make it easier.
Find something to give a damn about!
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Cateyes wrote:
whatisupcastanet wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:I think people have to chill out for a bit and wait for official results. Instead of panicking and getting all kinds of freaked out:

- It's going to be $6 Billion!
- No, it's no $10 Billion!
- Hells no, it's up to $12 Billion (latest figure from Chris Shaw who is a bit on crazy side)

I mean, it sure gives you purpose in life to fantasize over how much it's going to cost and how many people will have to eat their own eyeballs because we'll be broke. But. Wouldn't be more productive to discuss facts, not stipulations?


So true Captain Awesome.

"Pffff....facts, you can prove just about anything with them"
--Homer Simpson

whatis, your entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
CaptureDebt.JPG


Where do these "facts" come from - and are they even accurate? Any idiot can put a table together with a bunch of costs attached - but are they actually from a source that is reliable? Post the link to where you got them from, just as a starter. BTW - these are the "outputs" or costs - so where is your table for "inputs" - or revenue from the games - you just focus on the costs - but what about the money that came in to VANOC? These would only be the final "costs" of the Olympics if every single ticket to every single event and every single scrap of clothing sold had been given away for free, not mention all of the money paid in sponsorship dough and broadcast rights - and NBC alone paid $2.2 billion for the broadcast rights to the 2010 and 2012 games - while CTV paid $153 million for the 2010 and 2012 games (thank goodness - CTV had such amazing coverage all through the games, kicked the 2006 CBC coverage hard). http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2005/02/ ... 50207.html

Then of course there were all the other broadcasters all over the world that paid for broadcast rights - from every corner of the world - I don't even know how many billions were spent for those rights such as for countries like South Korea, Japan, Russia, China, Sweden, Norway etc. But of course, that's just details - and as you said - you are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts - so therefore - let's just look at the costs and not at the revenue numbers - wouldn't want to let that interfere with your anti-Olympic agendas - so sad.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Captain Awesome »

Cateyes wrote:whatis, your entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.
CaptureDebt.JPG


I like how Opening Ceremony and VANOC budget are two separate numbers.
Even though one comes out of the other one.
I'm not even going to go line by line.

But hey, makes running around telling everybody the sky is falling that much easier.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
User avatar
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber
Posts: 28548
Joined: Mar 17th, 2007, 10:52 am

Re: The Party's Over

Post by grammafreddy »

I am one of the few people who doesn't think the final numbers will be truthful. Just because VANOC or the governments tell you something, that doesn't make it true. Their new agenda will be to get the people to believe they have done a marvelous job of making these things pay for themselves. They'll spin the numbers until they look like what they want and they'll lie and cheat and steal to make them look that way.

All the Olympic yahoooo folks will use these numbers and fabrications to assist you in your "we told ya so" posts. You'll strut around the boards liked overstuffed hormone-rich peacocks and you'll become the new deniers. You'll deny the cost over-runs, the debt, the cutbacks, the cancellation of programs, the lack of services, the lies you were told.

It's not an unrelated coincidence the BC government is bringing down their spring budget this week, you know - you're still drunk from your party and they want to catch you while you're still higher than a kite.

Soon you'll be the family in the Food Bank line-up wondering where your paycheque went. People like me will be standing right beside you to remind you about how wonderful your party was and how we now are all paying for it. See ya there!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
User avatar
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board
Posts: 24998
Joined: Jul 22nd, 2008, 5:06 pm

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Captain Awesome »

Oh come on, gramma, we were having fun.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”