The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Nebula »

mountain_climber4567 wrote:I find it funny that people who complain about pretty much everything say they have pride.

99% of everything in Canada is wrong and unfair :-({|=

...but I am proud to be a Canadian. :dyinglaughing:

Bingo! Give mountain climber a cigar. No, wait... how about a pair of lovely red mittens?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nebula wrote:
NAB wrote:But that doesn't alter the fact that "The Party's Over" :-) Now it's time to put that behind us,

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!

Why on this good Earth would be put it behind us? Why oh why? We were given an opportunity to express ourselves like we haven't done for decades. We, the people, created a tsunami of epic proportions. You might want to put it behind you, but I intend to ride the wave.

Good for you Neb. And I sincerely hope there is some wave for you to ride (and me and everyone else too for that matter).

However I am a firm believer in the saying that, for the most part, memories are short when faced with reality.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:
NAB wrote:But that doesn't alter the fact that "The Party's Over" :-) Now it's time to put that behind us,

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!

Why on this good Earth would be put it behind us? Why oh why? We were given an opportunity to express ourselves like we haven't done for decades. We, the people, created a tsunami of epic proportions. You might want to put it behind you, but I intend to ride the wave.

Ooooookay .... how do you propose this all goes forward?

How will we all derive benefit and who will provide that benefit?

What kind of timeline do you envision your ride to riches to roll on?

If you've made the wave, how do you plan to keep that wave moving forward and stay on your surfboard?

That is what I really, really want to know. Well that, and how much more money are ya gonna need to accomplish whatever you think is going to happen now.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Somehow, gramma, I believe no answer will be good enough for you. If you can't comprehend what happened in the near past, there's no sense in trying to explain a potential future. The wave exists. You can choose to ride it or sit at home complaining. It's completely up to you.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

If being negative were an Olympic sport we would have had some gold medallists from these threads!
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Nebula wrote:Just what we needed: another anti-games thread started by and perpetuated by Negative Nellies. As if we haven't had enough of them already, on top of the 'positive' threads hijacked by the Black Cloud Gang.

Yes, the party is over. Thank goodness we had it. We needed it. We were ripe for it. And although it was never planned that way, it came at the perfect time.

It must utterly suck to be one of the minority who is so hell bent on concentrating only on negative things. I submit the majority gained something from these games that will be very difficult to put a price tag on. And the majority knows it. They could feel it when the torch passed through their towns and they let that feeling in; they didn't push it away because they wanted to stay stuck in a rut.

If Canada is a business, we just held the biggest team building exercise in history, and we let the world watch it unfold. How does one put a price tag on unbridled enthusiasm and uncharacteristic patriotism? How do you compare finances to pride?

We needed the party. We were ready for it and we, the people, made it what it was. According to the Black Cloud Gang, the Olympics was just a party for the elite. How laughably wrong they were... everyday people from coast to coast had a blast.

I submit that yes, the cost of the Olympics may hurt for a while but, if we let it, the legacy of the games can be a truly inspiring escape from the doldrums we've been in the last few decades.

I am Canadian.

:rate10: :rate10: :rate10:
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

oops :127:
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 1st, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:Somehow, gramma, I believe no answer will be good enough for you. If you can't comprehend what happened in the near past, there's no sense in trying to explain a potential future. The wave exists. You can choose to ride it or sit at home complaining. It's completely up to you.

In other words, you don't know. You just wanna ride the wave. Fine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

steven lloyd wrote:Well, I guess when we’re faced with a choice between fatalist negativism and delusional optimism and seem unable to come to a place of realism somewhere in the middle I suppose the latter is preferable. As a collective group it’s not like we’re going to deviate from our pursuit of conservatism and the status quo anyway. Might as well just enjoy our ride to the cliff (it would be easier though if we didn’t have to start paying the bills before we got there but ques sera sera).

:137: that was weird
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 1st, 2010, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

grammafreddy wrote:
Nebula wrote:Somehow, gramma, I believe no answer will be good enough for you. If you can't comprehend what happened in the near past, there's no sense in trying to explain a potential future. The wave exists. You can choose to ride it or sit at home complaining. It's completely up to you.

Think what you want. I shall exert no effort in answering questions for you. I know what the result will be.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

flamingfingers wrote:BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.

" - Yeah, why waste money on promoting Pepsi? All our customers know about Pepsi anyway!"
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.

" - Yeah, why waste money on promoting Pepsi? All our customers know about Pepsi anyway!"

Nebula wrote: I am Canadian.

That's right !!! I drink Canadian !

:rate10: :rate10: :rate10:
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:
Ooooookay .... how do you propose this all goes forward?

How will we all derive benefit and who will provide that benefit?

What kind of timeline do you envision your ride to riches to roll on?

If you've made the wave, how do you plan to keep that wave moving forward and stay on your surfboard?

That is what I really, really want to know. Well that, and how much more money are ya gonna need to accomplish whatever you think is going to happen now.

My query to Nebula stands for all of you. Anybody want to chime in with "The Great Plan"? You are all predicting a wonderful rags to riches story, so you must see how it will come about. Please share. Or, like Nebula, just ride the wave until it peters out.

mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

grammafreddy wrote:

Or in other words, sometimes it gets really old, repetitive, and boring, and there's no point in trying to explain it to certain people.

Another thing I find funny (and still not haha funny) is how people in the minority, on most issues, cry the loudest. Majority rules. That's why we have the local, provincial and federal government parties in charge that we do and that's why life goes the way it goes. If the majority of people want change then it will happen.

Try the blue pill, it works wonders.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

So true, mountain climber.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”