Harper Government In Contempt of Parliament

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Harper Government In Contempt of Parliament

Post by Bagotricks »

Surprised this hasn't been discussed. We are in the okCONagan valley though...

First time in Canadian History that a government has disrespected Parliament so deeply, over a expensive crime bill when crime rates are falling no less - didn't want to tell Canadians the costs, even when asked nicely. No details about the buy-one-at-twice-the-price F-35's and no details on corporate tax cuts (Royal Bank made 1.4 Billion in the last 3 months - they need a break!) didn't help their cause either.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... tempt.html

Try to write laws and not tell us the costs - then laugh at us for asking, turn around and tell Canadians "this isnt a big deal"?

NSM - not so much.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Harper Government In Contempt of Parliament

Post by NAB »

It is being discussed, here..
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=30949&start=15

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

... and the Conservatives are still a better choice then the Liberals or NDP any day of the week.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

Phoenix Within wrote:... and the Conservatives are still a better choice then the Liberals or NDP any day of the week.

Debatable.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
I Think
Guru

Post by I Think »

So Phoenix, when you say
... and the Conservatives are still a better choice then the Liberals or NDP any day of the week.

Are you saying that a corrupt government is the best that Canada can offer?
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Reminds me of BC Liberal Voters - voting like forgiving parents of a addict that has stolen the silverware 10 times previously.
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

Nibs wrote:So Phoenix, when you say

Liberals aren't corrupt lets all forget about that scandal of corruption in Quebec, that's surely not corruption at all. If the NDP formed government the market would crash given the NDP has no idea how to run a country and their fiscal polices would drive businesses to relocate overseas while they tried to nationalize everything from oil to mining.

The conservatives if they ever get a majority I hope will act like real conservatives and stop all the wasteful spending which includes wasteful defence spending and missions overseas that aren't in our interest.
dudlee
Übergod

Post by dudlee »

Nibs wrote:So Phoenix, when you say

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Did you even see the amount of info that they gave the committee ? And Brison , the head Fiberal screw , just proposed an easy out by formatting the summary as , we the majority do not feel that the Conservatives have given us the paper work needed and thus we charge them with Contempt . Fiberals are such lying Hypocrites . One minute it's we don't have enough , now it's we have too much , kinda like their economic stance , "You're not spending enough , then it's , you're spending too much "
This reminds me alot of the Bill Clinton attacks by the Republicans in the 90's . Remember the hired Ken Star to try and trap him in that Whitewater BS , and that failed , so the only thing that they could do was Impeach his for lying about an affair wit Lewinski . Well , it's the same thing here. Bev Oda granted the $7.7 Million in funding to Kairos then she reverses it , That cost us nothing , Then the Kenney "Targeting Immigrants crap , well Bob Rae's OAP bill targeted East Indians in Brampton , in a pay off scheme for votes . And the "In and Out " Scheme , come on , Conservative money , not taxpayers money , was used , and it's over $800,000 .
Then we have the Fiberals $60 Billion EI Surplus theft and the Sponsorship Theft , and If you want so real good reading , Check out the SIDEWINDER REPORT , where Chretien fired 2 RCMP heads before they could bring the evidence to light .

In conclusion the FIBS lied and stole $Billions and the Conservatives cost us NOTHING , and the Conservative even informed Elections Canada , the Fiberals still owe Elections Canada $40Million from 2004
"A lie stated over a long enough period of time, becomes the truth" Adolf Hitler. But I say , "A half truth is a lie and there is always two sides to a story, but only one truth"
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

As I understand it, It really matters not anymore what excuse (or combination of excuses) is used to bring the Harper Government down on a non confidence motion tomorrow. Once that is done it is all moot and irrelevant anyway. It simply becomes grist for the election campaign rather than the campaign being fought on issues that are much more important to most Canadians. What is more important IMO is that it won't be the budget that brings the government down, so what happens on that front is it will be business as usual until someone gets around to casting a new budget, probably not until the fall or even next year should the Liberals win. If the Conservatives win we will be right back to where we are now. In fact, possibly worse off as they will be in a position to trim out what they have already given the opposition in this one. The people lose, not the opposition.

And any wording the opposition uses to justify a non confidence motion tomorrow are nothing but charges and allegations, yet to be proven in a court of law or even in the court of public opinion, and that will take forever (years) to run through the process with no guarantee anything will come of it. Ya, I get it they don't like Harper personally, but that's nothing new. Liberals stopped liking Conservatives the moment they ousted Chretien and Martin and most other Conservative thinkers in their ranks. Many don't like Iggy or Layton personally either but that's all just lame politics IMO. As for the Bloc, their only reason for supporting bringing the government down is they haven't seen a guarantee of the HST payoff to Quebec yet, even though Quebec has had the HST since almost the beginning and got a special deal on their version at that time. Besides, that is really none of the Bloc's business anyway, as it is an issue between the provincial Government and the Fed's. I suspect Duceppe knows full well that it will be much easier to extract that money for Quebec from the rest of Canada via a Liberal Government than a Conservative one. The Sponsorship Scandal proved that.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
I Think
Guru

Post by I Think »

I think we need to get rid of the current crop of cheats and liars, and exchange them for a new crop of liars and cheats.
One of the best things about Chretien, was that he did not do much here, in the West, so that crop had little effect on us.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Other than milking us for a tonne of money nibs, to the benefit of central and eastern Canada and Quebec.

Nab
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Nibs wrote:Are you saying that a corrupt government is the best that Canada can offer?

I see others have already stated the facts more eloquently than I could, but the bottom line is that there's not one Government we've had that hasn't had blood on it's hands in one way or another.

Until we're offered a better choice than Larry, Curly, or Moe to vote for, I'll stick with picking the lesser of the evils.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Trouble is, if the lesser of the evils doesn't stand a chance in h3ll of formimg a government, we are stuck with choosing what is behind either the blue door or the red door. Why someone would even consider voting for a party that cannot and will not form a national government I'll never know. I know what is behind the blue door, but so far I am convinced there is nothing behind the red door at all. The lights may be on, but there is no one home. The devil you know versus the one you don't sorta thing.

As for this contempt of parliament thing and all the things Ralph Goodale keeps popping blood vessels over, there are loose cannons in every walk of life, including politics and the bureaucracy. Every government in history has had its share of such things and deal with them (and Harper hasn't really done a bad job in that department compared to say the sponsorship scandal or the Air Bus affairs which many believe actually did have their foundation in the PM's Office). Those were "scandals" which included criminal activity, while what we have had recently come more under the heading of "scandalettes", and the Liberals are trying to make mountains out of molehills, ....while at the same time trying to install a person in the PMO who, in my view, has absolutely no right to be there.

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

By the way, I should add that not only is the Speaker of the House who made these rulings a Liberal (who will not be running again in the next election), but that EVERY single committee, including the one that charges the government with contempt and that forms the basis for the non-confidence motion by the Liberals to bring down the government,....

....EVERY SINGLE COMMITTEE is stacked with opposition members! If anyone doesn't follow democratic principals as the Liberals charge the government doesn't, it has to be the opposition. Well, the people are coming, and they will take charge this time. And I doubt it is going to be another round of Trudeaumania relabeled Iggymania.

Nab
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

NAB wrote:Why someone would even consider voting for a party that cannot and will not form a national government I'll never know.

Same reason people vote for the Green Party. Sharing in the same ideology, loyalty, and hoping that eventually if enough of them vote, that they have a chance to get in.

It's great we have the option of multiple parties, but it does split the vote and we're left with the option of a minority all the time. Although personally, the BQ shouldn't even be allowed to play in this arena.

while at the same time trying to install a person in the PMO who, in my view, has absolutely no right to be there.

Wholeheartedly agree Nab, and I think many Canadians share that view and won't vote Liberal for that reason. As I said in other posts, the Liberal's can't seem to pick a leader to save their life.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”