Why is Elizabeth May being blocked?

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
I Think
Guru

Why is Elizabeth May being blocked?

Post by I Think »

The Bloc is being given a seat at the leaders debate, they have no candidates except in Quebec, and their stated goal is the dissolution of Canada as we know it.

May of the Green party has candidates running in every riding, and got a million votes in the last federal election, this is grossly unfair. People need to speak out about it, not let it get swept under the rug.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Why is Elizabth May being blocked?

Post by JLives »

I agree, she speaks for 1 in every 30 members of our population and her support is growing. It is insane to me that Quebec has a seat and she does not.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Before the conspiracy theorists show up, she is being blocked by the news media holding the debates, not by a political party (or parties).

My suspicion is they are blocking her simply to generate more interest in the debate, increase the potential ad revenue and then they will allow her to be part of it once the outcry is sufficient enough to hit their numbers.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

So our democracy is being stalled due to corporate interests? I'll try to contain my surprise.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

2008 election results:

Conservatives 37.6%
Liberals 26.2%
NDP 18.2%
BQ 10.0%
Green 6.8%

If the criterion is the likely chance of forming the government then the debate would only be between Harper and Ignatieff unless there is a coalition government. And if there is a coalition and if the Green Party elects one member it could be part of it too. I see the Bloq there, representing only one province, and the Green Party with representation across the country. As well, the other parties are not blocking the Green Party. It's only the CBC, CTV and the rest who are doing that. I say let Elizabeth May have her day in the sun.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

If this leader’s debate turns into a repeat of the last debacle, then the media organizers need to have their head read. Personally, I have no objection to May participating again, although I fail to see why she should be invited, at least until her party is represented in parliament.

In any event, my hope is to see the participants involved in a series of one on one debates, or at most three at a time. Let’s see if May is up to holding her own in such a scenario. That’s the only way she could gain any improved credibility through her involvement (by having to address the full range of major issues that are important to the vast majority of Canadians)..

What many of us want to see is a solid one on one debate between Harper and Ignatieff, without any distractions from folk who don’t have a chance in hell of forming the next government, even as a minority..

But I agree with May on one point. If she is not allowed to participate, I question the Bloc’s Duceppe being there either.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Maybe the answer is one debate in each official language with all the party leaders and another debate with just Harper and Ignatieff. Maybe we could have a "pay per view" debate as well to help defray the costs of this unnecessary election (LOL).

Postmedia News Mar 30, 2011 – 1:15 PM ET

By Mark Kennedy

BRAMPTON, Ont. — Prime Minister Stephen Harper has raised the spectre of a televised showdown with his main political rival — Liberal leader Michael Ignatieff — as one way for voters to make an informed choice.

Mr. Harper offered the suggestion Wednesday in response to a question about whether his party supports a decision by a consortium of television broadcasters to exclude Green party leader Elizabeth May from the televised debates in this campaign.

Ms. May was part of the panel of leaders in the 2008 debate and she later accused Mr. Harper of violating debate rules by bringing written cheat notes to the desk where he sat during the debate.

Mr. Ignatieff and NDP leader Jack Layton have said that she should be invited back for this campaign’s debate.

That left Mr. Harper with the dilemma: Should he also show support for her inclusion?

Instead of taking a clear position on whether it is his preferred approach to have her at the debate, Mr. Harper opted to suggest the Tories are “open to any number” of possibilities.

“We can have a traditional debate of parliamentary leaders,” he said — a format that would exclude May because the Greens don’t have any sitting MPs. “We can have a debate that includes Ms. May in such a format. We could have a debate that includes every party that’s on the ballot.”

But Mr. Harper then suggested a final option: “We could also have a debate between Mr. Ignatieff and myself, since, after all, the real choice in this election is a choice between a Conservative government or an Ignatieff-led government that all of these other parties will support.”

Since he launched his election campaign last weekend, Mr. Harper’s core message at every campaign stop is that the opposition parties are allegedly planning to form a coalition government if the voters elect a Tory minority government. It is an allegation that has been categorically denied by the Liberals.

For his part, the Liberal leader didn’t back down.

Mr. Ignatieff told reporters Wednesday he would welcome Mr. Harper’s proposal for a one-on-one debate with the Conservative leader.

“Any time, Any place,” Mr. Ignatieff responded. “Mr. Harper has proposed a debate between the two of us, I am there. I am available.”

Mr. Ignatieff added while he doesn’t want to exclude anybody, he’s “completely ready” to debate Mr. Harper directly.

“I think Canadians want a debate of principles, I think Canadians want a debate between hope and fear” he said.

A direct debate between two leaders would be a first in recent Canadian history.

Past elections have featured memorable showdowns between two leaders — Brian Mulroney and John Turner in the 1984 and 1988 elections — but they were structured to also include the NDP leader. Since then, with the rise of the Bloc Quebecois and birth of the Green party, the stage has become more crowded on debate night.

“The networks will ultimately have to make a decision that serves the public interest,” Mr. Harper said. “And we will insist that it treat ourselves and all parties fairly.”

Ms. May has hired a lawyer after being excluded from the debate by the consortium. This is not the first time she has faced this problem.

In the last campaign, she was initially excluded, but the move prompted outrage and she fought successfully to earn a spot at the podium.

- With files from Althia Raj
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

jennylives wrote:So our democracy is being stalled due to corporate interests? I'll try to contain my surprise.

No. There is no stalling of our democracy involved. Why would you think there is?
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Urbane wrote: Maybe we could have a "pay per view" debate as well to help defray the costs of this unnecessary election (LOL).

Not sure the one guy willing to pay $2.00 to watch it would help much.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

I don't see anything sinister or wrong about excluding May from the debates. They have to draw the line somewhere, and, unfortunately for Lizzy, she happens to fall on the wrong side of the line.
"For the first time in history the ineffectiveness of a medicine is being blamed on those who refuse to take it."
~ Dr. Robert Malone
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Who puts the debates on?

If its a private company - which company, and where is their political affiliation? Who do they give money to? Funny how a private company could shape a election. Televised debates sway alot of voters.

If its CBC ( taxpayer ) then everyone should be allowed on.

If it is a "business" choice then that is a sad state of affairs and yet another nail in the democracy coffin.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Glacier »

Bagotricks wrote:If its CBC ( taxpayer ) then everyone should be allowed on.

Including the Communist Party and the Christian Heritage Party?
"For the first time in history the ineffectiveness of a medicine is being blamed on those who refuse to take it."
~ Dr. Robert Malone
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

She is a candidate who represents the views of a large portion of our population and is not going to be heard on the national stage where it counts. Her party had 1 million votes, This is not a flash in the pan party, the Green Party represents many average Canadians.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Which get included and which get excluded and why?

* Animal Alliance Environment Voters Party of Canada (founded in 2005) - environmentalist, animal liberationist
* Canadian Action Party (founded in 1997) - populist, anti-globalization
* Christian Heritage Party of Canada (founded in 1987) - social conservative
* Communist Party of Canada (founded in 1921) - communist
* Communist Party of Canada (Marxist-Leninist) (founded in 1970) - communist/Marxist-Leninist influenced by Maoism and the ideas of Enver Hoxha
* First Peoples National Party of Canada (founded in 2005) - Aboriginal rights advocacy
* Green Party of Canada (founded 1983) - Green
* Libertarian Party of Canada (founded in 1975) - libertarian
* Marijuana Party of Canada (founded in 2000) - pro-marijuana legalization
* Rhinoceros Party (founded in 2006) - Joke party
* People's Political Power of Canada (founded in 2006)- feminist, centrist, populist
* Pirate Party of Canada
* Progressive Canadian Party (founded in 2004) - progressive conservative, Red Tory
* United Party of Canada
* Western Block Party (founded 2005) - western separatist and paleoconservative/libertarian conservative
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Green Party did receive almost 7% of the vote last time while all "other" parties received less than 1%. I think the line can be drawn between the Green Party and those "other" parties.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”