Why is Elizabeth May being blocked?

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Re: Why is Elizabth May being blocked?

Post by Tacklewasher »

NAB wrote:
Tacklewasher wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:Journalists are rarely independent thinkers and unbiased reporters of news these days.

Except Fox News

:sillygrin:

LOL. Glad I don't watch American channels. I suspect folk who do to any significant degree get a very distorted picture of what to expect as real life in Canada. ;-)

Nab

I watch anywhere from 10 - 20 minutes of Fox News a week. Depending on how much John Stewart and Stephen Colbert are making fun of it.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Re: Why is Elizabeth May being blocked?

Post by NAB »

LOL, now there's a pair of brain dead authorities on anything that can be taken seriously, US or (particularly) Canadian :dyinglaughing:

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

A current example of just how childish the Greenies can be..

By: The Canadian Press

Date: Friday Apr. 1, 2011 4:49 AM PT

KAMLOOPS, B.C. — A former Green Party candidate in Kamloops, B.C., has no regrets over a stunt he pulled to teach the current candidates in his riding a lesson.

Grant Fraser, who ran for MP in the Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo riding in 2004, admits that he hijacked the website domain names of Liberal Murray Todd and Christian Heritage Party candidate Chris Kempling.

Fraser, now a financial agent with the Greens, says he registered their domain names -- murraytodd.ca and chriskempling.ca -- because the NDP candidate during the 2008 federal election had a similar prank pulled on him.

Fraser says he wanted to see if anyone learned from that incident and registered their name to protect themselves from someone taking advantage of it.

But Todd says he doesn't have any lessons to learn from the prankster and his campaign team plan to create its own site soon.

Fraser says the fun is over now and he plans to make both candidates' domain names available to them
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
kina
Board Meister

Post by kina »

So much for nobody being interested in what Elizabeth May has to say. Here's the results of a poll that was done on the CBC News website:

Your Vote

Should Green Party Leader Elizabeth May be invited to participate in the televised debates?

Yes 82.5% (36,782 votes)

No 15.03% (6,702 votes)

I'm not sure 0.65% (288 votes)

I don't care 1.82% (810 votes)

Total Votes: 44,582

http://www.cbc.ca/bc/
"The Ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy...”
-Martin Luther King
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Of course she should! I'm voting Green, among around 1 million other Canadians and I want our voices heard on the national stage. Where is the outrage that the Bloc are participating and why they are a national party in the first place?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I think it will be very interesting to see how the Greens fare for votes in this election. Onviously something is shifting when you see poll results indicating a rather substantial shift in voting intentions from the NDP to the Liberals, While the Conservative lead remains very strong.

The Greens however are a wild card as to whether their support will remain as it was last time, increase, or decrease and, should it decrease, where those votes will go. Out of curiosity Jenny, does any other party provide a reasonable second choice for someone who may wish to shift to a more viable alternative for representing their views?

Nab
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

According to the CBC quiz I should vote Liberal but I can't stand Iggy.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

When Ms May makes comments like this, I question her grip on not only the issues, but her own “reality.”

Green leader Elizabeth May is standing by her comments over the weekend that condemn Prime Minister Stephen Harper's stance on climate change, comparing it to "a grievance worse than Neville Chamberlain's appeasement of the Nazis."

The longtime environmentalist, who said she was having "a lousy week" because of the federal government's weak action plan on the environment, was standing by comments she made on the weekend to a church congregation in London, Ont.
She said she quoted the Chamberlain-Nazi comment from British author George Monbiot, whom she saw during his appearance with Canadian environmentalist David Suzuki in Toronto on the weekend. She said the comments from Mr. Monbiot, who has been named by the London Independent newspaper as one of the 40 international prophets of the 21st century, are another indicator of the damage the Conservatives are doing to Canada's international reputation.

Ms. May delivered what she called an "environmental sermon" to the Wesley Knox United Church in Wortley Village on Sunday, saying the government is threatening the genocide of mankind by failing to take action to remedy global warming.

"We have a moral obligation to our Lord and Father to ensure we don't destroy the creation that was given to us. Through the power of our Lord and Jesus Christ, we can meet this moral obligation," said Ms. May.

A spokesman for the prime minister said Ms. May should retract and apologize for making the "extremist and undignified statement."

http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/new ... b0b0856faa
Chill
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Ouch! :-(
kina
Board Meister

Post by kina »

Some of you have probably already seen this, and it is a little outdated seeing that Iggy is now the liberal representative. But it probably explains Canadian politics best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hfGy_b87gI

But again, if a large amount of the population is in favor of hearing Elizabeth May, then it should be allowed, regardless of whether we personally agree with everything she says or not.
"The Ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy...”
-Martin Luther King
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

jennylives wrote:According to the CBC quiz I should vote Liberal but I can't stand Iggy.

It really is amazing how politics in recent decades have evolved more in terms of like or dislike of a particular individual rather than the real issues that affect us all jenny. Of course, over the years it becomes harder and harder for parties to find ways to differentiate themselves enough to attract votes away from some other ideology, particularly in more advanced economies.

Nab
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

kina wrote:Some of you have probably already seen this, and it is a little outdated seeing that Iggy is now the liberal representative. But it probably explains Canadian politics best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hfGy_b87gI

But again, if a large amount of the population is in favor of hearing Elizabeth May, then it should be allowed, regardless of whether we personally agree with everything she says or not.

Seems to me kina, that if a private group want to put on a show, it is entirely up to them who they invite and what criteria they apply in selecting the participants. There is nothing preventing Elizabeth May, or anyone else, sponsoring a debate and inviting anyone they wish. As the old saying goes, the one who pays the band gets to choose the music.

Nab
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Well then maybe our national political debates shouldn't be a private show. I dislike corporations having the power over who is heard.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

jennylives wrote:Well then maybe our national political debates shouldn't be a private show. I dislike corporations having the power over who is heard.

Well, I suppose if the government wanted to sponsor it at taxpayers expense and set the criteria, those who feel the leader of any bomafide national political party should be allowed to participate would have a case. But since that is not so, then IMO those lobbying for May's inclusion don't have a leg to stand on.

Personally, I am of the view that any debate that includes more than three people is a waste of time and money, and personally I prefer it be limited to two. Otherwise very little of importance results, and the people watching gain little benefit from it. The last one was a prime example of that, and both May and Dion became somewhat of a national embarrassment.

Nab
I Think
Guru

Post by I Think »

May's exclusion is either;
gender based discrimination,
political discrimination
or a publicity stunt.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid

Return to “Federal Election 2011”