Geezers unite!

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
I Think
Guru

Re: Geezers unite!

Post by I Think »

Dear Alberta, we live full time in a converted greyhound bus, the funds for fuel to go south are about = to the funds you spend on winter heat.
As far as supplemental health insurance, on the advice of our long time family doctor, we do not carry it. Those times we have needed health care in the US or Mexico, we have paid out of pocket.
You are making assumptions that have no basis in reality, besides where have I cried poor, I am simply pointing out the problems that many of my peers are having.

Assuming makes and *bleep* out of u.
Problem with being stupid is, you don't know you're stupid
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Urbane wrote:
    grammafreddy wrote:Actually, Nibs, I think that's the provincial government doing that - health care is a provincial jurisdiction.
Indeed, but apparently police brutality is Harper's fault. From today's Courier:

The "bullying" nature of the Harper government is a contributing factor in police brutality, a federal NDP candidate says.
The Conservative Party sees citizens as the "enemy," a mindset that filters down to police departments and makes it more
likely that individual officers will engage in acts of violence against citizens, Tisha Kalmanovitch said Sunday in Kelowna.
"This is coming down from the top," Kalmanovitch, the NDP candidate for the riding of Kelowna-Lake Country, told a crowd of about 60 people who gathered on the steps of the downtown courthouse to protest against police brutality.

I know we shouldn't insult other posters, but are we free to call this candidate an idiot?
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

or go remove her hundreds of signs from public streets.
You can try and dirty my name, but I'll wear your hate like war paint
albertabound
Board Meister

Post by albertabound »

*pointless post, repost with a point and without the personal attack/Jo*
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

normaM wrote:or go remove her hundreds of signs from public streets.

That's illegal. Of course so is driving in the HOV and fixing my sprinklers without a permit.......
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

What??? No one liked my idea of seniors getting their meds free?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
I Think
Guru

Post by I Think »

Hey I am with you 110%.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I think after all the years they worked and paid into our system they should have at least that. I am not talking about those who come into our country from somewhere else and suddenly qualify after something like 3 years work, I mean those who have 25 or 30 years paid in by working here. The government controls Pharma anyway so they can create a system of bulk buying for senior med processing with Pharma. It is one of the things they could offer but wont! My parents want me as PM, ya OK, lets not stretch it, just the drugs is enough :dyinglaughing: But seriously,,, Lets face it we will all be there and we will need it too. If that happened seniors could live on what little they get. Some of them drugs are priced for the rich to live on and that is not right, they dont need to die for lack of the right meds and yet some have to take something other for the same medical issue which doesn't do as much, why is that even allowed?
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

I think each province is responsible for their own drug program. Seniors in Ontario pay the first $100 then all prescriptions are $5 give or take a dollar or two - would have to double-check to see what he paid for each last month. The program in Ontario is based on your previous years tax assessment and if I'm not mistaken, $100 is the highest deductible paid.

When mom was undergoing chemo in '98, her $100 was due July 1st. When we got her prescriptions the first week of July she paid the $100 upfront and then every 3 weeks paid $2.35 for each of her 5 prescriptions.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
I Think
Guru

Post by I Think »

In BC they escalate the deductible, it may be $450 per year depending on income, then BC pays up to 70% of the balance, but will not cover some of the more expensive drugs.
I have been told that they will allow some experimental drugs, but not the main stream drugs, these for people who have had strokes, or heart disease or that kind of serious ailment. People are having to decide to buy drugs or eat. I do welcome corrections if wrong, some of the above I know to be fact, some has just been repeated to me.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Didn't matter how many prescriptions mom got, she paid her $100 and from then on each was roughly $2.35 or so every 3 weeks. Last prescription I picked up for her was for 100 slow-release morphine tablets and had to pay $2.55. When she passed I took the remaining pills back to the pharmacist for disposal.

The S/O in Ontario pays his $100 deductible then his prescriptions are roughly $5.00 or so. He had bypass surgery late last year and was prescribed 5 or 6 meds when released from the hospital. Was doing his monthly checkups with the cardiologist for 3 months and is now doing once every 2-3 months with our family doctor. He's now down to 2 or 3 meds that he will more than likely be weaned off in the next few months if everything progresses as the doctor thinks it should.

ETA ... just talked to the S/O - he pays the first $100 around July 1st then all prescriptions cost him $4.11 with dispensing fee included. And he said it doesn't matter which pharmacy you go to, the drug payment info is in their computers. I'm guessing it's July 1st for everyone which would give the federal government time to upload all Ontario seniors into the drug database that pharmacies can access.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
I Think
Guru

Post by I Think »

Oh boy maybe I should move back to Ontario.

Met a guy in Princess Auto who told me he was moving back to Ontario because he could not get the care/treatment he needed here. I was kinda shocked, figured it was all pretty equal.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”