Election Signs - Rules?

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
nazerine

Election Signs - Rules?

Post by nazerine »

I wasn't very impressed to drive down my street this morning, and for almost a whole kilometer there are election signs for the three main parties ..... each having a sign about every 5 meters or less.

I've tried doing a couple searches on signage rules for elections with no results -- What are the rules on how many signs can be deployed per street? I am very very tempted to remove 70% of the signs and return them to the respective parties. There were 8 in front of my house alone. :skyisfalling:
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Re: Election Signs - Rules?

Post by wthwyt »

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?se ... pre&lang=e

ELECTIONS CANADA CLARIFIES RULES FOR CAMPAIGN SIGNS

(OTTAWA, March 17, 1998) – The Chief Electoral Officer of Canada, Mr. Jean-Pierre Kingsley, today clarified the rules regarding campaign signs under the Canada Elections Act.

Section 262 of the Act states that it is an offence to take down, remove, cover up, mutilate, deface or alter any printed advertisement, placard, poster or banner having reference to the election of a candidate without authority.

"Complaints or allegations of wrongdoing regarding this or any other section of the Act should be reported in writing to the Commissioner of Canada Elections in Ottawa, who is responsible for ensuring that the Act is complied with and enforced," said Mr. Kingsley.

"Where candidates or political parties wish to place campaign signs on private property, they should obtain the consent of the owner of the property," he noted. "Tenants and condominium owners should check the terms of their lease or purchase agreement, which may preclude them from posting campaign signs."

With regard to signs on public property, Mr. Kingsley urged candidates and political parties to consult with the municipality in which they intend to place signs to ensure that local requirements are respected. On September 2, 1993, the Supreme Court, in The Corporation of the City of Peterborough v. Kenneth Ramsden, held that a municipal by-law which prohibited all signs on public property was unconstitutional as it infringed on freedom of expression. The Court declared that signs on some public property is protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

In the same vein, candidates and parties wanting to place signs on public property belonging to the federal or provincial Crown should contact the government department or agency which administers the property to ascertain the rules and limits concerning campaign signs.

"Essentially, it is the responsibility of the candidate, the political party or their agents to establish their right to place a campaign signs on any property," said Mr. Kingsley.

Elections Canada is the non-partisan agency responsible for the conduct of federal elections and referendums.

Contact: John Enright at 1-800-267-7360 or at (613) 993-2224 or by fax at (613) 954-8584 or TTY/TDD at 1-800-361-8935. You may also contact Elections Canada by e-mail or visit our Web site at http://www.elections.ca
nazerine

Post by nazerine »

Cannot seem to find anything solid about HOW MANY signs can be placed, but lots about 'punishment'.

http://www.elections.ca/content.aspx?se ... pre&lang=e

Seems the worst I could get is a fine. Good thing I failed to mention which street
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

WTHWYT wrote:With regard to signs on public property, Mr. Kingsley urged candidates and political parties to consult with the municipality in which they intend to place signs to ensure that local requirements are respected. On September 2, 1993, the Supreme Court, in The Corporation of the City of Peterborough v. Kenneth Ramsden, held that a municipal by-law which prohibited all signs on public property was unconstitutional as it infringed on freedom of expression. The Court declared that signs on some public property is protected under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

That sucks. I'd like to see a law like that here. Really think signs should be restricted to private property so people can judge the popularity of a candidate instead of who can put up the most cheap-assed signs.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Nazerine, if they are in front of your house just remove them.

One could make a good deal of money removing them all and returning the metal as scrap! Good afternoon!

Though "returning them to sender" is a better bite, I think they can fine you for that or some BS.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Me and the better half had a good giggle yesterday coming home from work.

On the corner of Hwy 97, in Westbank going southbound, where the one-ways start, there are a whole bunch of new signs up for the election. But at the very end going southbound, were about 8-10 little "Westbank" signs. It was so funny, after seeing all the wasted dollars for 2 candidates and their zillion signs, and then these few homemade ones. Sorta puts it all into perspective.

And before anyone rants on the Westbank/West Kelowna bandwagon.....this was simply funny to us and I thought I would share, as it was to us, taking the mickey out of the election signs.

Return to “Federal Election 2011”