Election Day

A temporary forum for discussion about the upcoming election.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Election Day

Post by oneh2obabe »

Just a heads up to remind everyone to take their voter information card with them on election day. Having it will cut down the time you spend in the polling station plus it makes life a lot easier for the clerks working that day.

Most electors are already registered in the National Register of Electors (the Register), a database of Canadian electors who are qualified to vote in federal elections and referendums. Elections Canada will send a voter information card to registered electors between April 8 and April 13.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
oneh2obabe

Re: Election Day

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Aww, what a cute corgi! :)

For those who are considering not voting in this election, remember that there are youth who would gladly vote if only they were old enough!

Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Everyone get out and vote!
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

Give a damn on a election day!

please vote.png
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Why do I have to go to a church to vote? What's wrong with community centres and schools? I don't like religion in bed with politics and governments. Is taxpayer money going to these churches to pay for these polling stations? We already pay good money for rec centres and schools - let's use them!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

They use what facilities are available to handle the number of registered voters in a specific area be it a school, community centre or church. Last provincial election I worked the polling station in a school just up the road from home. This year it's the community centre in town. My gf will work one polling station in a church - not a big deal to her.

Okay, take all the churches out of the equation ... you get less facilities to vote at. But don't b*tch 'n complain when you have to stand in line for a longer period of time because there are less stations to handle the voters.

It's not like a minister/pastor/priest/rabbi is going to be shaking hands with everybody coming through the doors.

You don't want to vote in a church - get ye over to the advanced poll station. Because I'm working election day I can't vote at my polling station (5 minute walk from home) so I'll be heading to the advanced station this week even though it's not close to home (10 minute drive).

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

grammafreddy wrote:Why do I have to go to a church to vote? What's wrong with community centres and schools? I don't like religion in bed with politics and governments. Is taxpayer money going to these churches to pay for these polling stations? We already pay good money for rec centres and schools - let's use them!

:137:

Weren't you squawking about immunizations being offered at churches too? Geez, one would think you believe you'll combust if you walk over the threshold

Naw, I'm with babe on this one. Convenient buildings are convenient buildings.
I haven't failed until I quit.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Yes - that was me that bitched about immunizations at churches, too.

I don't like government using churches to conduct government business. There's lots of schools and community places that can be used.

H20 Babe - you missed my point entirely. My point is that governments and religions should NEVER mix. And taxpayers' money should not be going to private clubs and cults to fund anything. There is no need and there is no smart way to deal with cults.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

And you missed my point ... if there aren't enough "public" buildings in the area to accommodate voters they have to use whatever is available, and if that's a church - who the hell cares. It's not like I'll be turned away from the Pearly Gates (if you're a believer) as I walk through the hallowed doorways of a church, temple or synagogue to cast my vote for the democracy.

I'm not supposed to vote if my polling station happens to be a church? Now churches are cults? You might not agree with religion but that doesn't mean the congregation of a particular place of worship agree with your view of religion either.

If you're so concerned about the government paying for the use of these buildings, I suggest you write Elections Canada and let them know in no uncertain terms you disagree with them using taxpayers money to use polling stations which are easily accessible to the voters in that riding. And while you're at it, write Harpie and let him know you're against the huge salary increases political staff are getting plus the 50% increase to their golden parachute package.

As for religion and politics ... let you in on a secret, there won't be a priest/minister/rabbi/pastor/reverend standing at the door trying to convert you.

Like I stated before ... if you don't want to vote in a "church" get yourself to the advanced polling stations. I'm sure it won't be a church. And if it is, boot it on down to the your Elections Canada office and fill in the application for a mail-in vote or vote in person at the Elections Canada office. Address is on your voters registration card.
Last edited by oneh2obabe on Apr 18th, 2011, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:vote in person at the Elections Canada office. Address is on your voters registration card.

It's at a friggin' church, too.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

And it's not that I don't want to vote at a church - I don't want the governments paying taxpayers' money to the churches to conduct government business for the people.

The priests, rabbis and other cult leaders don't bother me and, no, I don't expect to get jumped or combust at the door if I cross their threshold. It's the principle of it. It's taxpayer money being paid to religions.

Incidentally, my polling station is MILES from my house.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Rutland United Church?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Call the 1-866 number shown on your registration card by 6pm April 26th. They will take your info and forward you a mail-in ballot.

Do you know for a fact schools, community centers and churches are getting paid for the use of their facilities?

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

oneh2obabe wrote:Call the 1-866 number shown on your registration card by 6pm April 26th. They will take your info and forward you a mail-in ballot.

Do you know for a fact schools, community centers and churches are getting paid for the use of their facilities?

grammafreddy wrote:Why do I have to go to a church to vote? What's wrong with community centres and schools? I don't like religion in bed with politics and governments. Is taxpayer money going to these churches to pay for these polling stations? We already pay good money for rec centres and schools - let's use them!

That was my original question ... :127:

Return to “Federal Election 2011”